1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer case fluid

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Scotland69, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    Vjtrey1

Vjtrey1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2018 Super White Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Simple mods
    Yup, i guess its easy to do it since it’s not their truck. And dealership don’t even stocked it. Also is they do use it they will charge an arm for transfer fluid change for those not diy’ers.

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I do most all of my own work, even spooning tires on my bikes and sometimes for friends, and am happy to help friends with projects. I just recently wrenched on a stranger's vehicle for the first time. That was a weird feeling. I just can't see how shops get into the IDGAF attitude with the potential consequences. But, everyone is wired differently.

Vjtrey1[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    Vjtrey1

Member:
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Simple mods
    Yup and also the more problem in the future the more money for the dealership (repair and sell new cars/trucks) so win/win for them.

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    I'm sure the engineers do pretty extensive tests using the manufactures gear oils under the recommended replacement intervals to insure no failures due to the oil. Imo, anything done way sooner unless very severe use is a waste of money and resources.

Vjtrey1 likes this.
  5. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:31 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    That's where a smart owner would check back on those work orders.

Still though, other than the OM requirement, we don't know the long term effects of GL5 in the T case. I am more than happy to stay on the spec fluid train, but who really knows outside of Toyota engineering if the special fluid is truly necessary?

Vjtrey1[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:51 AM
    Vjtrey1

Member:
    Richmond, Tx
    Vehicle:
    Simple mods
    agree!

7. Sep 18, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Hooper89

Hooper89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 White TRD Sport
    I unscrewed the fillerplug on my tf case and perfect fluid dribbled out. Screwed it back in and left it alone. 36k miles. Maybe Ill do it at 50 but tbh that synthetic stuff should last a very long time w/o serious offroad use. If I do it'll be royal purple syncro or the redline fluid.

8. Sep 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    So is changing out brand new tires along with suspension. Interesting that out of hundreds of thousands of threads here there's not one debate on it. It's always a wise choice.

Greg.Brakes.Tacos and tonered like this.
  9. Dec 12, 2021 at 7:04 PM
    MT AYON

MT AYON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ayon
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 Cavalry Blue
    I did some research this weekend on this topic and thought I would share with everyone. Take the information here but make your own decision.

Most of the experts tend to agree on one thing: GL-5 oil is bad for a manual transmission with synchros in it as the sulphur additives will eat away on the softer metals of the synchros.

This guy is a trained Toyota mechanic and he gives a good explanation why you don't use GL-5 oil for your manual transmission because of synchros:

Which fluid to use for Toyota Diffs,Transfer Case and Manual transmissions - YouTube

However, where it gets confusing is that in the same video, he contradicts himself when he mentions that you can use the same gear oil that you use in the differentials in the transfer case as well - the Tacoma Transfer case has synchros in it (helps to shift from 2H to 4H on the fly)!

There is another (quite long) video of another guy taking apart a 2017 Tacoma Transfer case to reveal that there is some sort of synchro in the TC (link below - talks about it at around 31.09 mins).

Tacoma Transfer Case Overhaul - YouTube

GL-4 and GL-5 are NOT interchangeable. If you put GL-5 where you should have GL-4 it causes wear to the synchros. If you put GL-4 where you need GL-5 (such as a differential), you will burn out the gear as GL-4 is not slippery enough.

The "Toyota Genuine Transfer Oil LF 75W" that is recommended in the manual is specifically made for this Transfer Case, however, I could not find any information on whether it's a GL-4 or GL-5 grade oil.

Does anyone have more information on the Toyota brand oil, does it say whether it's a GL-4 or GL-5 on the label?

Bkfitz and dbyker like this.
  10. Dec 12, 2021 at 8:42 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    It does not specify...
    My research leads me to conclude, it most closely resembles a next generation GL4 manual transmission fluid, as evidenced by the few fluids that claim compatibility(Redline MTLV, Ravenol MTF3, Royal Purple Synchromesh). VOAs indicate it is a non-synthetic Group 3 with a very robust and particular additive package, with nothing really coming close. Not to say the other options don't work; they might not need the additive package and make up for the lack of it in their base oil(Group 3+ synthetic).

dbyker and MT AYON[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    dbyker

dbyker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    NE TN USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab V6 6MT 4x4 Inferno Red
    VF Tune, TRD Intake, TRD Cat-Back.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
    Dirk Diggler likes this.
  12. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    MT AYON

Member:
    First Name:
    Ayon
    California
    Vehicle:
    I think that is not comparing apples to apples. One is a maintenance item and the other is to enhance offroad performance. You won't get much offroad benefit from prematurely changing out your gear oils, sure it's going to run smooth and everything but no added performance. Whereas doing suspension upgrades and tires will get you a lot more performance increase compared to the factory stuff.

zoo truck likes this.
  13. Dec 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM
    MT AYON

Member:
    First Name:
    Ayon
    California
    Vehicle:
    I did the research so that I don't have to use the factory stuff. The dealer wants to charge $80 a liter for that stuff! Why?? What's in it that is so expensive? Also, as @splitbolt mentioned, its non-synthetic as per VOA testing so it shouldn't be that expensive in the first place. The Red Line stuff is $18 a quart and is full synthetic which means better performance and wear. The dealer themselves use 75W-90 gear oil if they are doing the labor so they can keep their profits higher than using the factory stuff. So, no!

OZ TRD likes this.
  14. Dec 13, 2021 at 6:37 AM
    xMaverickx

xMaverickx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Limited V6 4X4 DCLB
    I use mobile 75W-90 in my diff’s and synchromax in the transfer case. I’ll say that the synchromax was definitely well used after 28K and although my transfer case wasn’t noisy you could hear it go into gear for sure. Now with new fluid it’s quiet again and you can’t tell if it’s engaging or not, it’s smooth as butter again. I use 4 low a lot in the mountain range I hunt in, I might just start changing it at 20k to be a little safer. Diff oil was in excellent shape, could probably get away with a 60K interval, I don’t mud or submerge them.

Mobile 0W20 in the engine, and Klondike Synthetic ATF in the transmission.

My trucks been happy and trouble free since 2016 without any Toyota fluids. However it was also born on April 20th / 2016 so it’s got them “don’t worry be happy” vibes all around :rasta:.

15. Dec 13, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    I think a lot of the cost is it being a seldom used OEM fluid imported from Japan.

16. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:00 AM
    ChrisK7UND

ChrisK7UND Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Double-Cab
    LED Interior Bulbs, Hondo Garage Phone Mount, Tacoma Bed Mat
    It is odd. I just called my local dealer and he told me that they only have bulk 75W90 and use it in all three. They had none of the 75W TCase oil to sell me. He told me to put 75W90 in all three. I’m fine with the diffs, but may spring for an online retailer for the TCase oil since I only do it every 50k.

17. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:04 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    The 3rd Gens are getting a lot miles and nothing has been noted about the T cases yet. It might not matter? But, I do have the Toyota LF stuff on the shelf. I need to get my current bucket of oil recycled, then I will swap it in.

18. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:13 AM
    MT AYON

Member:
    First Name:
    Ayon
    California
    Vehicle:
    Update: I just did the TCase oil change with the Red Line Synthetic MT-LV last week. I shifted to 4Hi and 4Lo a few times and I did not notice any change in the engagement.

SmoPo16 and ChrisK7UND like this.
  19. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    ChrisK7UND

ChrisK7UND Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Double-Cab
    LED Interior Bulbs, Hondo Garage Phone Mount, Tacoma Bed Mat
    where did you get the Toyota LF at? Trying to find it.

20. Dec 23, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    https://www.oempartsource.com/ gave me the best deal a few months back. Hooked up with a couple friends to save on shipping, and we paid about $58 each, delivered.

Products Discussed in

To Top