1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer case . transfer cases in first and 2nd gen trucks

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Jul 20, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    dborrer

dborrer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Dan
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x MT
    2018 new Frame (thank you Rust!), FJ T-case swap. SPC(LR) UCAs, Bilstein 5100s front - rear, OME 883 at 0, HeadStrongOffRoad 3 leaf progressive AAL, MESO custom 2nd gen (Red/White) LED dome & Ultimate Maps, Spyder Halo Projector w LEDs (which SUCK), Spyder LED tails
    How much for the input shaft? 2nd gen right?

I'd love to Not split my case, just to get it's input shaft out. I have now acquired an Auto FJ case from an in-state salvage yard (from an '08 FJ)

2. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    Chris.767

Chris.767 New Member

Member:
    I am looking at replacing my transfer case in my 2009 2,7L 4x4 with a manual transmission tacoma since the tcase actuator went bad, and the part costs 2000$. I have found a good replacement from a scrapyard but it's from a (same generation) 4.0L tacoma with an auto. Do all tacomas from that generation use the same tcase or do I have to pick one coming from the same engine and transmission truck as mine ?

Thanks, Chris.

3. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:52 PM
    6 gearT444E

6 gearT444E Certified Electron Pusher

Member:
    Deep South
    Herculiner Hootus
    automatic 6cyl and all 4 cyl share the same transfer case with a 23 spline input shaft. The only difference in cases for the 2nd gen tacos is for manual 6speed V6 which have a 22 spline input shaft.

volte and whatstcp like this.
  4. Jan 18, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    Chris.767

Chris.767 New Member

Member:
    Alright thanks for the quick answer !

5. Jun 11, 2021 at 10:35 PM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    I've been having some heavy vibes for a little bit now. Been running the iedls carrier bearing for about 5 years now. Swapped it to a new one, and changed all u-joints. No change. In fact maybe slightly worse with less play in the driveline.

Had the truck up in the air today and got a friend to get it to a speed where it vibrated. It was violent! Sounded like a machine gun. As soon as it hit the speed to start vibrating, the front drive shaft would start to spin. I also noticed oil leaking out of the front driveshaft output. Any ideas? I don't have a lot of free time, so I want to try and diagnose as much as I can before ripping things apart.

Appreciate any insights

6. Jun 12, 2021 at 8:18 AM
    ShimStack

ShimStack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    NC
    Vehicle:
    '91 Truggy, '98 Project, '16 DC OR M/T Locked F/R
    The front driveshaft shouldn't be spun in 2wd. Sounds like maybe the shift collar is moving into partial engagement wearing on the synchro. This partial engagement over time may have damaged stuff and now become a vibration.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    WormSquirts likes this.
  7. Jun 12, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    WormSquirts

WormSquirts Armageddon

Member:
    First Name:
    Braeden
    BC
    Thanks for that! I have a second truck that isn't on the road right now, so I'm going to swap the transfer case over and see what happens, then pull this one apart. Hopefully not too much damage.

I think I have 3 different vibrations that all came up around the same time, as I think possibly my ds is slightly bent or out of balance, and I think maybe one of the axle bearings in the rear ARB carrier are gone as well. I put the rear end up again today, and I can hold the drive shaft and spin the tire and it makes some vibration kind of sounds, but feeling the ring gear through the fill hole and all the teeth feel fine. Obviously the pinion could still be bad, but I doubt it because that would only make noise with the DS spinning

Products Discussed in

To Top