1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission- 5 Speed automatic write up with pics for second gen 4 liter trucks

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Jun 5, 2021 at 6:45 PM
    greg5000

greg5000 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 4runner
    hi All.
    I have a 2005 4 runner with the 5 speed 6 cly eng.
    I had dirty smelly fluid and flushed it, rusty lines and changed them with same sized rubber lines for transmission use, and added an oil cooler. Now my reverse does not work, it will work in 4 lo a bit. Goes forward fine in all gears, but in reverse in 2wd will hardly move at all, there are some noises at times. I was thinking something with the brakes, like if I over tightened the caliper bolts when I did the brakes at the same time, or if E brake was catching.
    Any tips thoughts appreciated. thanks

2. Jul 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
  3. Aug 12, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    kwanjangnihm

kwanjangnihm Timeout Terminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD SP PR
    "If it ain't a longbed it ain't shit! :)
    gearcruncher can I get your input!

* Note: transmission shifting & functioning normal, no issues and I do have OEM cooler. *

Just did first maint on transmission at 160K - drain, drop, new strainer, new pan gasket, clean magnets, crush washers, etc.

Drained 4.7 quarts, added 5.0 quarts and checked level with AT TEMP. Tranny shifting well!

Drove ~ 225 miles, drained 3 quarts out and added 3.5 quarts. AT TEMP mode, drizzle, level good.

Is this to aggressive?? I want to complete the "3 quart" at a time total flush and am at 8.5 new quarts.

First photo, left 160K, right, after adding 5 new quarts and running 225 miles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kolter45 likes this.
  4. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:08 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Looks great to me .
    What kind of junk was in the pan and on the magnets during your initial fluid dump ?
    The junk on the magnets and laying in the pan is how you determine your fluid change intervals .Its all about determining a contamination level
    Obviously if its full of steel , just clean the pan and magnets and fill back up , then in 5k , drain and fill again until fluid is clean .
    If the magnets , pan and filter were spotless , its safe to change out all the fluid .

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  5. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    kwanjangnihm

kwanjangnihm Timeout Terminator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD SP PR
    "If it ain't a longbed it ain't shit! :)
    The bottom of the pan and magnets had the film normally seen in photos, but was not bad at all, I have seen photos of much worse. Little if any steel particles.

Should I do the 5K intervals from this point on, or is it ok to finish the 3 quart drain & fill until I get to new 12 quarts?

6. Aug 12, 2021 at 6:39 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    If you just had a light sludge on the magnets , you will be good to do the 3 quart drain until you get to 12 quarts . The most important part of performing a transmission service correctly is by removing the pan and you already had the pan off . A lot of guys skip this step and go directly to a flush .Thats when you end up having trouble

lynyrd3 likes this.
  7. Sep 1, 2021 at 7:33 AM
    greenEFSI

greenEFSI TacoSupreme____

Member:
    First Name:
    Gio
    West Covina, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Pro Super White
    This thread is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the info!

Kolter45 likes this.
  8. May 16, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    bronx

bronx New Member

Member:
    Hey, this is a great thread with a lot of useful information.
    I have 131K miles on my vehicle, and every now and then I when I come to a quick stop, I get a bump like the car behind me tapped my bumper. From what I've read on this thread, I likely need to replace the SLT solenoid. Other symptoms I've been seeing is hesitation on downshifts going up hill, and at a stop, my vehicle wants to pull forward more aggressively than other vehicles I've driven. Fluid was changed by the dealer at 90k, otherwise, no other maintenance.

@gearcruncher Would you recommend installing a Sonnax zip kit with my milage as well, or just replace the solenoid and go?

9. May 16, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

There are other possibilities that can cause this tapping sensation as well .In an attempt to save you some cash ,I would be looking at the complete driveline first followed by a throttle body cleaning and inspection .
    Axle wrap , driveshaft splines , driveshaft universal joints , motor mounts , transmission mounts to name a few .
    In most cases , when the SLT solenoid gets to the failure point , guys complain of neck breaking engagement .
    A new solenoid and zip kit may work but more in depth diagnosis should be done before spending big bucks .
    Have you scanned for codes or had your truck connected to a scanner when you feel the bumper tap?

Did you purchase the truck with 90K or have you owned since new ?
    These trucks are known for slighty aggressive movement while in drive at a stop light usually caused by the clutch for the Air Condtioner cycling on and off

SR-71A likes this.
  10. Oct 20, 2022 at 4:22 PM
    brian92s

brian92s Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 4.0 2WD PreRunner
    Vehicle Modifications:
    @gearcruncher first of all, thank you for all that you do for Taco owners in this forum, your knowledge has been beyond helpful. I wanted to reach out as I had a shudder issue with my 06 double cab 4.0L V6 2WD 125k miles a few months back. I performed a pan drop, cleaned the magnets and pan (just a film, no shavings or anything), new filter and gasket, adjusted the SLU solenoid 1/4 turn clockwise, filled, performed a full flush and added 12 oz of lubeguard and 2 oz of instant shudder fix. I have now developed a new vibration when decelerating from 40 mph to 30mph. Anywhere in that range causes a vibration I feel in the pedal/seat I think. It's like clockwork and when accelerating/decelerating in that zone, the truck just feels like crap. It does not matter if in overdrive or 4, and I don't think braking/accelerating stops it until I'm further away from 35 mph. This is where the truck usually enters 4th gear so I worry my 3rd/4th gear may be toast as I imagine the previous owner let the shudder issue continue for too long, no clue but truck only has 125k miles, thoughts? I greased 1 U joint of the 3 and that didn't seem to change anything, the rearmost U-joint was the only 1 with a zerk fitting. There is a record of new U joint(s) being installed on the truck April of 2017 at 98k Miles so I don't think it could be that, unless only 1-2 were replaced and 1 is bad? I am praying it's anything but the trans as it seemed so healthy when cracking it open and now having mostly fresh fluid.

Although now looking at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Du1APCqKo as an example, the issue was a U-joint and also around decel/acceleration around 35 mph. It's weird because it won't vibrate when accelerating until I've been past 40 mph, then on the way down it vibrates and back up to 40 mph, but when initially reaching 40 mph it doesn't vibrate. It might be getting slowly worse and worse so it certainly and HOPEFULLY is a u-joint issue.

11. Oct 20, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    All you need is two 14 mill wrenches . Pop that driveshaft off and see how the universal joints feel when you move the joints by hand . Its impossible to tell if a universal joint has a seized cup without removing the driveshaft .
    In the video above , you could see rust and a bunch of play in the u-joint which was a dead give away that the universal joint was shot , but in many many cases , a seized universal joint will not be noticeable until you pop the driveshaft off . I have a feeling you are going to find your problem . Are your tires new and well balanced ?

SR-71A and brian92s like this.
  12. Oct 20, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
    @gearcruncher thanks for the heads up! I will look into how to do that. The joints “look” fine but what do I know. I had issues with steering wheel shake on highway speeds but that’s been resolved after a balance. Vibration isn’t in steering wheel from 40-30mph, I feel it in the floor, and my seat, the pedal, etc. tires are within the last year or two.

gearcruncher[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:51 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    @brian92s - be safe, change all 3 u-joints and the carrier bearing. You're down there, drive shaft is out, just do it.

The peace of mind is worth it. If you solve your vibration problem, good. If not, you eliminated multiple possibilities of the source.

14. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:58 AM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
    @Scott B. agreed thank you. I was able to confirm only the rearmost of the 3 U-joints has ever been replaced. Which would explain why only that one has a grease zerk fitting. I will plan to replace the other 2 or just all 3 again with zerks so I can actually keep up with greasing them to make them last forever lol.

15. Oct 21, 2022 at 6:09 AM
    Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 ACLB SR5 4x4 Expo
    Spicer 5-1330-1X joints have zerk fittings in the caps. I run these - easy to grease.

SR-71A and brian92s[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Oct 21, 2022 at 6:12 AM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
  17. Nov 4, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    brian92s

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vehicle Modifications:
    @Scott B. @gearcruncher update: I had all 3 U-joints replaced with Scott's recommended Spicer 5-1330-1X joints with fittings. I also had them replace the carrier bearing with OEM while the driveshaft was all off already anyways. It seems to run slightly "rougher" overall, but that concerning 30-40mph vibration is mostly gone/unable to tell the difference any more! Thanks for your insight guys, cheers!

gearcruncher[OP] and Scott B. like this.
  18. Jan 7, 2023 at 1:53 PM
    kwgilpin

kwgilpin Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
  19. Feb 5, 2023 at 3:35 PM
    4840Jim

4840Jim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport
    Wish I had found this sooner. 2009 225k 30-40 shudder, sometimes like on the rumble strip. Brakes applied makes it go away. Drive in 4th and never does it. Changed fluid, added lubegard. Changed torque converter (FL torque converters) new fluid again, got a little over 2 gallons in it with lubegard. I blew out the cooler and as much as I could get out of the trans. Fun job without a trans jack. Drives exactly the same. What next? @gearcruncher Zip kit? Lockup kit? Set it on fire?

Edit, I have been checking fluid correctly. Lot of fluid in lines and cooler.

gearcruncher[OP] likes this.
  20. Feb 5, 2023 at 4:04 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    How long has it been since you installed the new converter ?
    There is a difference between rumble strip and shudder
    Any computer codes ?

Rumble strip occurs when the lock up clutch tries to lock against the converter dampner and has trouble clamping , therefore the complete truck shakes like crazy .
    For this repair , yes zip kit will fix you up .

Shudder occurs after the lock up clutch has mated with the converter clutch dampner and you feel chugging as you drive .
    For this repair , you will have to do a little more investigating .
    Last engine tune up , last spark plugs , last throttle body cleaning
    With 225K on your beast , I would also be looking at you camshaft timing .
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/cnc-machined-1gr-fe-exhaust-cam-gears-3°-retard.605925/

To Top