1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission- 5 Speed automatic write up with pics for second gen 4 liter trucks

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gearcruncher, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    '09 Dbl cab, TRD suspension plus 2" lift, LEDS, FJ TRD rims. All around pretty mild.
    Refilled and everything seems ok.
    Never got an AT temp light when driving to work.
    Made sure I had nine beers before I filled it just to make sure I'd get it right. You know, the wife and all.

gearcruncher[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 3, 2017 at 3:37 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    IMG_20170902_225928030.jpg @gearcruncher Thank you for your help man. After reading thru this I ordered the Zip kit and a RatioTek HD shift kit, turning the SLU up 1/4 turn clockwise because I do have bad converter shudder (more so when cold / not so noticeable when hot out after first few miles) added an additional cooler, and flushing with Lubegard ATF in my A750F.

Now that I have the valve body all cleaned up and started installing the zip kit, I noticed the first two o-rings on the end plugs I installed were getting a little torn from sharp edges left behind from machining, so figured I'd include an after pic of my deburring Dremel work for those considering doing this. First pass with a sanding cup (very carefully only hitting outer edge), and finished up with some polishing compound. Now I have some new questions, after reading this article ... http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2010/2010-04/2010_4_4.pdf

Would you recommend adjusting the Accumulator Control Valve or the Primary Regulator Valve? The article made me think maybe I should turn the Accumulator Control Valve stepper in to provide a firmer shift feel. Just not sure if I should mess with it or not, and how that would work with or overlap with the RatioTek shift kit. Also, would there be any benefit to adjusting the Primary Regulator Valve? Thank you Thank you Thank you GearCruncher!

07 sport 4x4 likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Can you do a write up with pics?

4. Sep 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Hi there Mr. Jeffy Bobby .

Nice work so far !! :thumbsup:
    Have you recorded your factory accumulator control pressure setting as illustrated in the ATRA technical tips ?
    I havnt installed a Sonnax zip kit in an A750E for well over a year but if memory serves me correctly , I did increase the setting .
    Let me have a better look at the Ratio Tech shift kit before you accidently over pressure a circuit .
    The Sonnax zip kit has changed from what other members have been passing on to me .
    I will get back to you shortly

5. Sep 3, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would like to see your instructions for the new Sonnax zip kit as well as the Ratio tech kit .
    Some of the newer Sonnax kits come with a new pressure regulator . This was released in the 2016 and up Zip kits .
    It would be nice to know what date your zip kit was released

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. Sep 3, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    OK I'll scan and upload soon. I Haven't received the RatioTek kit yet... Ordered it couple days ago. Decided on it after reading that Steve Younger designed it, who is also the designer of the Transgo kit, but had a falling out with Transgo and started RatioTek. Also liked that I don't have to bore any ports bigger.. and it was only $40ish for the HD version. I'll take more pics of the edge polishing too 07 sport 4x4.

7. Sep 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    Oh yes... both valve settings were right in the middle of adjustment.

8. Sep 3, 2017 at 7:25 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    My sonnax zip kit instructions... http://d2q1ebiag300ih.cloudfront.ne...ns/3477/A750E-A761E-ZIP-IN_C.pdf?v=1503345596

@07 sport 4x4 So after trying to install my first couple sonnax o-ringed end plugs, I realized I was damaging the o-ring due to the sharp edged shoulder left behind from the machining of the bores. Sonnax did not include any instructions on this deburring / polishing with my kit. They do include extra o-rings which is awesome. When installing these, at first I was just pushing really hard to get the little ******* to get in there, but they're so tight that there's just no way.. unless, you push and release pressure, and push and release again and again so you're kinda working it in there rather than forcing it in more so. After two successfully installed end plugs, I noticed a little bit of torn o-ring material left behind, so out they came and the deburring process began.

I was doing this in my shop with all the cleaned parts laying out, so decided to take the valve bodies into the garage for deburring so the air born aluminum dust wouldn't fall on my clean internals. I marked which bores needed deburring with a sharpie as not all will receive the new o-ringed end plugs, and yeah, good luck remembering which are which once you leave your nicely laid out table of parts. I used my Dremel with a emery / sanding type cup and some rough polishing compound at first, followed by a finer polishing compound on a polishing drum. Not sure about the grits, I just had some laying around and felt the two... one was finer so used that last. I have a variable Dremel just had it running at the slowest speed as I carefully hit just the corner / shoulder of the bore with the radius of the sanding cup. Not sure where I got these cups, maybe harbor freight, but they are easier for this application than using a sanding drum due to its radius. Less chance of hitting inside the bore itself. Then I hit the shoulders again with the finer polishing compound on a polishing drum and recleaned the valve bodies with brake clean. Just a side note.. don't use brake clean on your solenoids or coated valve body plates, it will eat plastics and rubber. I used MAF sensor cleaner for those bits.

IMG_20170903_171719717.jpg
    IMG_20170903_171934928.jpg IMG_20170903_172411319.jpg IMG_20170903_173437383.jpg
    It's kinda hard to see I know, my phone's camera could only get so close before losing focus. So the o-ring on top is new / never installed. The o-ring on the bottom is one of the two new ones that was installed before deburring and polishing. There's a small piece to the left of it that was torn off it along with a few other tiny pieces not in the picture, also you can kinda see the o-ring is now deformed on that left side. Looks like it caught an edge and twisted when installed. I'm surprised Sonnax did not include deburring recommendations with the kit. Nor 'best way to work these tight lil buggers in there' advice. Was also annoyed they combined 4 different transmissions in their instructions. They include an Installation Diagram with A761 valve body pictures and a note: "A750E/F valve bodies may vary" which did not make life any easier for a first time DIYer. They have to know many of their customers are doing this for the first time at home... why can't they spend a few cents more on a couple extra prints of paper to make life easier!!!! SONNAX!! Hope you're ears are burning!

jbtvt and 07 sport 4x4 like this.
  9. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Just seen your Sonnax instructions . A little different from the last A750E Zip kit I installed for one of my neghbours but they are top notch at adressing your converter shudder .

Mileage would help a lot ?

As far as increasing shift feel , Yes , I highly suggest doing this . I suggest small adjustments to the circuit . A small adjustment to the accumulator control valve will give all your upshifts and downshifts more of a positive feeling in comparison to the factory calibration . Less cushion equals less slipping

There are multiple ways to increase pressure but I would follow what Sonnax has suggested because the new primary regulator valving also helps with your converter issue . On another note , you also have to compensate for any internal pump and bushing wear . This is something you cant see unless you totally disassemble the transmission .

Are you planning to turn the screw on the SLU solenoid ?

Thank you soooo much for posting the Sonnax instructions . Everyone will benefit from them .

How did you come to the conclusion you had a converter shudder ? Did you watch the shudder occur on a scanner or are you using the old butt dyno to diagnose the converter issue ? what happened when you tapped the brake pedal ? What year is your truck ?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  10. Sep 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    2005 Tundra 4.7 4x4 with 75k. Maintenance records show ATF was flushed at 35k and 51k. Please don't hate for being on a Tacoma forum, it just happens to be where I found the best info.
    The truck shutters / vibrates until it warms up on cold days was how I concluded... my trusty butt dyno. Does not shutter / vibrate on warm days. Couple times it lunged after coming to a stop too, but I know that's a different issue. I was considering turning the SLU 1/4 turn CW. I won't do any adjustments until I get the RatioTek kit and post the instructions tho.

11. Sep 4, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:

Its all good !!
    You may be on the wrong forum but you have the correct transmission information . Everything you have been posting is relevant to our Tacomas . Thank you !!!:thumbsup:

Only 75K , have you considered a new SLU solenoid ?

Biscuits and 07 sport 4x4 like this.
  12. Sep 4, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    Yes but wasn't sure I needed a new one. Was hoping lubegard and this kits might fix the issues.

13. Sep 4, 2017 at 5:59 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    It has only lunged after a stop twice. Lunged hard tho, like someone lightly rear-ended me.

14. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    I wish I could have taken your truck for a test drive . You are aware that the converter lock up feature will not apply until the transmission temp sensors tell the ecm it is safe to lock the converter clutch ? The truck has to be fairly warmed up before the converter will apply and acheive full lock up . If you have a scanner , you can watch the converter clutch apply , then gently tap the brake pedal with your left foot .... keeping your right foot on the accelerator . This test will ensure you have a converter shudder .
    If your truck passes this test , I would be willing to bet the old girl needs a tune up .
    Fresh plugs , throttle body cleaning etc etc .

Locoluna825 likes this.
  15. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    Other than that I'd really like higher and firmer shift points. I'm running 33" tires with stock gearing so it feels a little limp wristed at times. I constantly turn O/D off when coming up to a hill other wise it feels a little bogged down for my taste.

16. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    Then you made a good decision by installing a kit

Jeffy Bobby[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:13 PM
    gearcruncher

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    A common complaint is the transmission falling out of gear when coming to a stop, sometimes so harsh that it feels like someone has rear-ended you. This happens because the trans has fallen out of gear due to low pressure, caused by a faulty SLT pressure solenoid. The ECM then ramps up the pressure to max and it slams back into gear. Replace the SLT solenoid is the fix for this concern.

Jeffy Bobby likes this.
  18. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    I didn't learn about that test before already dropping the valve body but I'll do it when she's back together. I did pull out the AFE air filter the other day and the intake tract is clean as new. I haven't checked the plugs because according to Toyota, these 2005+ 4.7 with VVT-i go 120k between plug changes.

19. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
  20. Sep 4, 2017 at 6:50 PM
    Jeffy Bobby

Jeffy Bobby Member

Member:
    @07 sport 4x4 I'm not good at keeping time on projects man.. I let it drain ATF for a good hour after loosening the valve bodies bolts. Disassembly of valve bodies and laying out parts orderly probably took an hour. Some of the valves didn't want to come out with out light prying with a shish kabob stick so that can take longer. So far I only have the zip-kit parts installed, but at this point, I probably have 4 hours into it not including the pan drop and cooler install with proper rubber mounted brackets I made.

To Top