1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission "banging" into gear.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Prerunner Paul, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feb 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    Prerunner Paul

Prerunner Paul [OP] Member

Member:
    San Clemente, California
    Vehicle:
    02' PreRunner
    I have an 02' PreRunner with an automatic transmission. For the last couple of years, every once in a while, when it shifts gears, it will "bang" into gear. It only does this, like once or twice a month, but it is definetly something I am concerned about. The Toyota dealership that has been doing the service on the truck since it was new, does'nt know what it is, because of course, whenever they test drove it, it did'nt do it.
    Also when it does this, the shifter is hard to move back and forth, almost like the linkage is tweaked, or out of adjustment, but it's been checked, and it's fine. I was told by someone that all of this could be a problem with pressure inside the transmission.
    Anybody having this kind of a problem?

2. Feb 18, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Icon's with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 295 BFG KO2, Bora 1" spacers, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    mine kinda does it to...but it doesnt really "bang" it just shifts hard and moves the shifter back and forth.

3. Feb 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No Truck..well, maybe
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    I'm not really sure what you mean by "bang" when shifting but a crisp ,firm upshift from your automatic is a good thing, but if your shifter is hard to move after this "bang" happens I'd check all motor mounts & transmission mounts also I'm assuming that you are manually shifting your auto by your description of the shifter being hard &/or "locked up feeling"......Good luck......:cool:

4. Feb 19, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    mine does that too. but i have had mine under water quite a few times. i dont know if that would have anything to do with it seeing as i think these transmissions are sealed everywhere but the dip stick.

To Top