1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

transmission cooler??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaman06, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Nov 21, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    do manual trannys need a cooler?

2. Nov 21, 2008 at 4:24 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    You will have to check/add fluid after you install, make sure you have some tranny fluid around before you cut the lines. Also the idea of bigger is better isn't always true, the bigger the cooler the more line pressure drop. Plus we just have small trucks. With relatively small trannys. No need to go overboard.

3. Nov 22, 2008 at 10:11 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    I put one in my 03 2WD 2.4, when I installed my hitch.
    I mounted it on the RH side of the radiator, I had to move a horn bracket and an AC line a bit, but if fit in there perfectly I bent up a couple of lines and put flex hoses to make them flexible at the cooler end. I removed and capped the fittings on the radiator, and attached another small flex line to the lines to the original lines that come from the tranny to the radiator.

I was told by a guy from a tranny shop a while back that the biggest downfall of a Toyota transmission was the tranny cooler. It would rot out and put coolant in the transmission and kill it. I dont look at either fluid very much, if it was going to leak, you wouldnt know it till it was too late.

I bought it off of Amazon for 45 bucks, it was the same cooler that comes with the TRD kit, without the brackets. A few lines and fittings, I think I was into it for $55.

K.L.

4. Nov 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    krlang, thats interesting about them rotting out, I guess the thing to do then would be to bypass the rad when you install the larger cooler?

5. Nov 22, 2008 at 11:05 AM
    krlang

krlang NewEnglander

Member:
    Commonwealth of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    03 2WD 2.4L Tacoma Reg Cab
    Chrome Bumpers F&R, Grille & Corner Lights, Wheel Skins, Red/Clear LED taillights, Remote start, PDL, Cruise, K&N, All Kenwood, DNX-5120 6.1" NAV/TRAFFIC/DTV/DVD/XM/BLUETOOTH/USB/IPOD/SUB/rear cam, Tint, Air Band radio, Class 3 Hitch with 4/7 pin harness, Transmission Cooler, Red Top Battery, "Deck Plate" mod.
    Thats what he said.
    So my factory cooler, the one in the radiator, is capped ans stowed.

I just picked up a dash clock out of the junkyard, plugged it in and it is green!:D
    My dash lights are Red! :mad: DAMMIT!

I am also in the middle of a new mod, I bought a Hazard switch out of the same truck, I am going to mount it next to the power outlets and make it so I can switch them off after I jump out the relay.
    The third outlet will run off the ign, the lower two will be on all the time.
    If I want them off when the Ign is on I can just hit the button. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top