1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Fluid Heater?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rooty, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    Rooty

Rooty [OP] Tacfroma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Missoula MT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab 4x4
    ARB Bumper with Foglights, IPF 968 Driving Lights, Color Matched Grill Surround and Eyelids, Grillcraft Grill with Custom Taco Emblem, Black Headlight Mod, EGR Hood Deflector and In Channel Rain Guards, Stock Wheels Painted Black, BFG TA/KO's in 265/75/R16, Debadged, Stubbs Welding HDSKO Sliders, Front Windows Tint, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertec Floor Mats, Autolights Unlimited Smoked 3rd Brake and Tail Lights, Powdercoated Rear Bumper, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Factory Bed Mat, Compustar 1 way remote start
    Hey people,

I am fixing on ordering one of those Wolverine stick on heater pads for my oil pan. I got to thinking and I figured hey, why not get one for my tranny pan as well?

Then I got to thinking why haven't I ever seen this mod done before?

Then I got to thinking gee, I don't want to screw anything up, maybe I should check with everyone and see if it is a bad idea.

Then I posted this thread.

So what does everyone think? Worth the effort? I've heard tranny fluid heats up pretty fast. I know its pretty thin stuff but I don't know how much it thickens up in the cold. But hey if it isn't going to hurt anything, it might be better to have it closer to operating temp before...well.... it operates right?

2. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM Roll Tide

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 Blown Honda VTEC V8
    trd exhaust,step bars,vent visors,bed lights,tailgate mod
  3. Mar 6, 2010 at 4:48 AM
    blazze2005

blazze2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Pre-Runner Sport
    Fuel Off-Road Octane Wheels,Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/65/17.Grillcraft,Borla Exhaust,Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover,Pop n Lock Tailgate Security,Custom Wet Okle TRD Seat Covers,Catch-All Matts,Gatorback Belt,Shorty Antenna,Toyota Bed Matt,Sirius Radio,Vent Sades,20% Lumar Window Tint
    Heat is what kills a transmission. Don't put the heat pad on the tranny

You can put one one the oil pan if you live in a really cold climate

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Senior Citizen

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    MGM Tundra CrewMax Limited TRD Off Road
    My Kenwood TM-V708 Dual-Bander Westin Step Bars Line X Bedliner ReTrax Pro MX Tonnaeu Cover
    Cold kills tranny's too, I used to live in Great Falls and you'd fire up you vehicle and let it idle for 15 to 20 minutes on a -35 degree morning to warm the tranny up or risk losing it. See how warm the pad will get and if it stays below 120 or so I'd say you're good to go but I'm just guessing. Anyone know what the operating temp of the tranny is?

To Top