1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Flush... this sound right?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeremy_283, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:39 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 [OP] Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    The dealer said it'd cost me about $189. I asked if this was gaskets, fluid an all. He said there were no gaskets and their machine they just fill up with the fluid hook two hoses from the truck up to it (I can't remember which ones) and the machine does all the work. Does this sound right?

2. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:43 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yep to the no gasket thing. I have no clue about the cost.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Cost isn't outrageous for a dealership. Last time I had a flush done was 4 years ago for my Chevy and a local shop charged me $150. Based on that, $189 might be a little high but isn't outrageous for a stealership.

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Well this is me using their parts and service. OEM Fluid too I think

5. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:04 AM
    Tacologist

Tacologist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Tenessee
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Shortbed
    Rear leaf suspension. Home done tailgate re-inforcement.
    The WS fluid is quite expensive. I don't know what a dealer is charged for it but we pay about $ 8-9 a quart and it takes about 10 - 12 quarts to do a complete flush. There are posts here that show a lot more money than $189 to do the flush.

You can do it yourself for about $100 (I did) by reading the sticky or going to Toyota Nation.com and searching that forum for the method. Either way, it is clearly shown.

6. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    jeremy_283

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yea I'm just more comfortable with having them do it :) I've changed all my differential fluids and stuff before but this seems even more involved. and that front differential was a pain in the butt. So yes. The dealer will do this task for me.

7. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You can only do a drain and refill on your own. The dealership would (should) flush out the torque convertor which you would not be able to do on your own. A drain and refill would work but should be done a little more frequently in my opinion since it does not get all the contaminants out of the torque convertor.

8. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    gooch14

gooch14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2011 Blk DC Taco SR5 4x LB
    Bestop, Child Seats, petrified french fry, dog hair, empty Mtn Dew cans cracked windshield, scratches.

This.

A DIY is gonna be drop the pan and get what, maybe 55% of the fluid?. A flush actually runs fresh new clean fluid throughout the entire system, hence the 2 lines, one going in with fresh, one coming out with old.

Word to the wise, don't let a 'quick lube' place offer you a 'cash deal' where they'll do it for $75. Had that offered once. They were going to do the work, with the shops fluids and then pocket the $75 directly, which would have left me with no warrenty for work done or proof that it was done. I was really glad when I went back for an oil change some time later and they put 7 quarts of oil in my 4L Ranger. WTF.

9. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    Tacologist

Tacologist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Tenessee
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab Shortbed
    Rear leaf suspension. Home done tailgate re-inforcement.
    The DIY method described in pretty much a complete flush. If you disconnect the return line from the radiator cooler and put new fluid in the pan, it is pumped to the torque converter and what is in the converter is pumped out to the radiator cooler which pushes the old fluid out of the radiator cooler into the collection container you ran the plastic line into.

Then you re-fill the pan with an amount equal or greater than the amount you collected and repeat again and again depending on how much fluid you purchased. 12 quarts is recommended.

I have heard that a power flush can dislodge sludge and sometimes cause more problems than you want, especially if the power flush is done over 100,000 miles.

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    that would sounds right if the dealership had a dedicated machine just for WS type fluid. we do not have one. the fluid is expensive fersher.

Products Discussed in

To Top