1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission: Going from reverse to drive when cold. Truck surges forward...?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BMunster, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mar 14, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    /this\
    Everybody adding fluid but nobody is asking for new transmission. If you driven with transmission slipping that means clutchpacks were slipping.
    That also means there was not enough lubrication in places like torque converter and such. So just adding fluid seems stupid. Thats like adding engine oil after running engine with no oil for miles. What good oil does if you already f-ed up components. :crazy:
    like @gearcruncher said, you need to atlas ask for extended warranty, plus used market price of 2016 Tacoma will probably drop so you are going to lose money twice here.

gearcruncher[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Mar 14, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    beardedcap

beardedcap Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 Access
    My 4runner never did it, it's not normal. I've noticed the same issue since I bought mine. Initially I thought it might be a characteristic of the transmission but after reading about so many cases of low tranny fluid I'm going to go to the dealer and ask them to check it this week.

3. Mar 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    So you mean to tell me if you go out on a cold day, start the car. Let run maybe 15 seconds and throw in reverse or drive it doesn't want to take off like a bat out of hell? Almost every Toyota I've ever driven a (couple hundred) has lurched pretty hard

4. Mar 14, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    Howanic

Howanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR Double Cab 4X4 A/T Inferno
    I had to go in two times for this low ATF as well and the hood adhesive and my driver side window controls rattling with my JBL speakers (volume being at 30).

I got a call back from Toyota corporate and they are giving me a 7 year 100K 0 deductible warranty. :D. My transmission feels great, adhesive is fixed, Window controls still rattle with certain songs but they submitted a Toyota document and if more people have this issue they will make a fix from Toyota.

Pretty happy about how things worked out.

5. Mar 14, 2016 at 8:55 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Thats excellent !!!!!!
    Do you mind if I add this to the low fluid poll ?
    You are probably going to get a lot of questions

6. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:00 PM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    I don't mind at all

7. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:11 PM
    Lawfarin

Lawfarin Who me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Beetle Juice
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra
    Too bad it's only power train

8. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:30 PM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    These are the things a Toyota platenium extended warranty does not cover:

List of Excluded Components

• Accessory Drive Belts Batteries Body Panels Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes Bumpers Carpet Chrome Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate Dash Cover and Pad Door Trim, Handles and Fabric Filters Fluids Glass (including Windshield) Headliner Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes Hinges Hybrid System Main Relays Hybrid Vehicle Battery Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack Hoses Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents Lamps Light Bulbs Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners Paint Rotors and Drums Rust and Corrosion Damage Seat Covers Service Plug Shiny Metals Spark Plugs Structural Framework and Wells Tires Vacuum Hoses, Lines and Tubes Weather Stripping Wheels and Rims Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)"

gearcruncher likes this.
  9. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I remember when your trans was low . You went through a bunch of grief .
    How hard did you have to fight with corporate to get the extended warranty ?

10. Mar 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Called them once to voice my concerns and that my 2011 Tacoma caused me not to buy the extended warranty for my 2016 (being as it was a great truck of course). She said she would get back to me within two days to see what they could do for me. It pretty much took 15 mins out of my day.

11. Mar 31, 2016 at 3:10 AM
    T.TChase

T.TChase Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Off Road 4x4
    I've owned my 2016 dc or 4wd for around 3weeks and now it's having the delayed shifting from Reverse to Drive when cold. Left it with the techs at the dealer and they confirmed the delayed shifting.
    The one tech I've been talking to said that the aft fluid was fine after they checked it with their system. I'm not mechanically inclined but I could see the tranny oil that cleared off the dirt on the pan around the plug so I know they opened it. There was also a lot of tranny oil(red) above the pan and around the pan for some reason. It looks like it splashed all over. The transmission when warmed had a hard time shifting to 3rd gear(x2) on the way home from the dealership and this has never happened before.
    Is it normal to have a slosh of atf fluid around and off the pan when opening the plug? From what I read onTW Im afraid they might of opened it too hot and I've might of lost more fluid.

12. Mar 31, 2016 at 9:33 AM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    That does sound possible. I forget the correct tranny temp needed to do the test. I would try talking with the tech Forman and see what he or she says. I have had my tranny checked two times. Both times had low ATF (obviously first time was not checked properly).

Kilokato likes this.
  13. Mar 31, 2016 at 11:41 PM
    T.TChase

T.TChase Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Trd Off Road 4x4
    @Howanic
    He did say that as the owner I can work on my own rig as long as I'm using the correct parts and fluids and it would not void the warranty. If I had another non-certified Toyota mechanic work on it,
    then the warranty would be of course void. I called corporate and started a case and told them I wanted the techs to drop the pan and refill the oil or manually check and fill the tranny oil.

Howanic likes this.
  14. Apr 8, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    Kilokato

Kilokato Go Vols!

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Access Cab V6 Auto 4wd
    Limited wheels, extra rope hooks in bed.
    So did they check the fluid level twice or did it take 2 trips to the dealer to get it checked once? And getting your fluid checked fixed your transmission issue? Does it still shift back and forth between 4-5-6 gears?

15. Apr 8, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    both times they filled the ATF. First time it felt better but still had a slight lag in the morning so I went back and they filled it again. Me gear search does not happen nearly as much as it did when I first got the truck. I have 5k miles on her now so I'm guessing it's "learning" my habits. I did disconnect the battery a week ago (I have only driven her one time since then due to out of town business) but it seemed better with the gear search.

16. Apr 10, 2016 at 5:59 AM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    You're lucky then. MY dealership and another one that I called about this have been incredibly dismissive. I have a complaint / case manager at corporate this time around, so hopefully that makes a difference.

I'd check it myself, but I dont have the tools, the time, or a place to do it. I also dont feel like I should have to after spending $35k on a brand new vehicle. If I bought a high mileage 6 year old vehicle that's a different story.

Kilokato likes this.
  17. Apr 10, 2016 at 6:45 AM
    Element

Element Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limted Trade for 2017 F 150 Lariat 3.5 Twin Tubro
    Taco flavored welcome to the TW forum. I have check my own, not having problems but wanted some peace of mind. You need a few tools maybe borrow some. I did mine in the driveway. Instruction that you will find is on the forum. Just read it a few times to understand. Very easy once you do it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  18. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    ToyoTacoTurner

ToyoTacoTurner Am I really well-known?

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP TRD OFF ROAD DCSB 4x4 (OV TUNED)
    PRO GRILL-Meso lights-Speakers-rear black bumper-Debadged
    If you're still around I'd like to know more about how you got the adhesive fixed and the exact problem you are talking about. I just got a 2016 TRD OR and think I may be having this issue.

19. Jan 25, 2018 at 7:43 AM
    Tehkoema

Tehkoema Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa, ON
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP 4Runner
    How is it I have to pay to get fluid check/filled whatever on a 2 week old purchase? I do not care how hard it is. I have a warranty. You service that warranty. Bing bang boom.

Going to call Toyota and give them hell, I'm at my wits end with this damn clunker.

tacoflavoredkisses1 likes this.
  20. Jan 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    Howanic

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    If you check under your hood you will see where the top of your hood connects to a frame support under your hood. They are connected with adhesive, and from the findings it looks like the factory used a bad batch of this adhesive. I would get hood flex and waving while driving. I took it in told them and showed them my problem and they took the truck to a local body shop and fixed the connections. It did not completely fix the problem but it did help with the hood waving and flexing.

Products Discussed in

To Top