1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission problems need help ASAP

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 03doublecab, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    03doublecab

03doublecab [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Onley, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2003 double cab sr5
    pro comp 2.5" leveling kit wheelers 5 pack bilstein 5100's all around goodyear duratrac 265/75/17 method race wheels removed side steps and mud flaps Black grill surround and black bumpers. Red toyota logo in grill Restored headlights 20% tint all around 6k hids. just low beams. will be doing high beams soon
    Hey all,
    went to go to the drug store earlier and as i was coming back i started the truck and when i went to put it in drive i automatically hear loud clunking/ metal to metal sound. as i went to drive away it stalled, and its an automatic transmission. when i let off the brakes and idle it stutters forward slowly. this has NEVER happened before. 4wd seems fine, 85,000 miles. it happens in all gears (drive reverse 2nd and low). any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
    this is also my work truck and i do landscaping so lots of heavy hauling and pulling.

Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. Oct 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 :POOPCORN: Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5, 88 SR5 PU, 98 TRD OR (CRUSHED)
    5100's all on fours
    Is there fluid in it?

3. Oct 4, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer/KG7VFU

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines AFE Pro Dry S air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Not clear on what this means. Are you saying that when you engage 4hi they is no "loud clunking/ metal to metal sound "?

Are you certain its the trans? Could be the rear diff. Maybe sheared teeth either on the ring or the pinion.

To Top