1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by j.d.mason, May 3, 2015.

1. May 3, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    j.d.mason

j.d.mason [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 White TRD Sport DCLB
    Hi Friends,

So a while ago I bought a used Tacoma from a dealership. A few weeks after I bought it I discovered evidence in the vehicle that it had been used as a snow plow (it was the dealership's service truck) in the winter months. This had not been disclosed to me when purchasing. About a week after that my transmission started slipping gears, so I took it to another dealership near my house which is actually owned by a family friend of mine, and asked if they could take a look at it. They opened it up on Friday to do an initial check and fluid swap and apparently there was quite a bit of metal bits and pieces within the tranny. They then told me that I would likely need a new transmission, or at the very least a good used one. They recommended that I go talk to the dealership that I bought the vehicle from and see if I could get a credit towards a replacement, if not have the dealership simply replace it completely. I am going to go to the dealership tomorrow to discuss this issue. I'm not entirely sure I'd feel comfortable with them working on my vehicle though, if they were willing to sell it to me without disclosing its true history I feel like they wouldn't be afraid of shady workmanship either. We shall see though, as they are since under new management since I bought the vehicle (perfect timing eh?!).

What I want to know is, what sorts of things should I be looking for? Obviously plowing puts a lot of stress on the vehicle, although the rest of the vehicle looks solid. The frame is in great shape (visually), and the vehicle drives smoothly. Is there anything else I should be worried about? Maybe the TC?

Also, what might my options for repair be here? I'm assuming that my transmission housing is in alright shape (from what I can see), so maybe just a re-build? Do any of you guys have any similar experiences?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Update:

So the vehicle ran as it should for some time, however unfortunately today I had to bring it into the shop because of tranny issues again. On my way home from work last night the transmission started slipping and then having difficulty switching gears and/or just staying in 3rd altogether. I pulled over and re-started the vehicle to have a check engine light on, at which point the codes were checked and I had a solenoid stuck shut and a pressure sensor (I believe) trip. I'll go get the report out of the vehicle and update this if I messed up the codes. Anyway, very similar diagnosis to what I had last fall, which is to replace the transmission ($2800.00 for a used one with 110k on it or $5200 for a rebuild!!!). It's so annoying because I've only owned the truck for one year and the dealer that sold it to me never told me it had been used as a plow... :mad::mad: I think I'm going to try to see if I can recover some costs from the dealer that sold it to me by going through OMVIC, as apparently they're useful for things like this. Wish me luck!

Last edited: May 20, 2016
    Rambo MARINE Recon likes this.
  2. May 3, 2015 at 8:06 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    The options are a'plenty, obviously.

You can rebuild. You can look around and there are some pretty good deals to be had on used tranny's from wrecking yards, and most offer a minimal warranty at least (typically if it is no good, they will replace or refund, but you will probably be out any labor.) There are places like Jasper Engines in Alabama that offers high-quality rebuilt transmissions shipped to you or a shop of your choice.

Generally I have found that the transmission shop rebuilds are too expensive. They want to convince you they can do a better job rebuilding in house compared to going the rebuilt or used route. I consider that nonsense. Places that rebuild tranny's as their primary business have the process streamlined and I personally think you get a better product as a result. But it is not that cheap. I've helped friends find used trannies and install them. This is NOT a hard job. Depending on your skill level, you can do it in from 1/2 day to a day plus. I've replaced so many clutches in my son't manual Mustang that we can do that in 3 hours or so in the driveway.

Pricewise, you can hit anywhere between $500 or so up to beyond $2500 if you want, and that is just for the tranny. I've seen really good results with used transmissions. You can typically ask about the mileage since they are coming from a wrecked vehicle. I bought one a few years ago for $900 that had under 15K miles on it and looked absolutely new outside and inside.

3. May 4, 2015 at 6:29 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Well I think if an independent wants to stay in business he damn well had better do a good job their reputation is on the line. A good independent should be able to beat an exchange units price and if they are an ATRA member you would have nation wide warranty. A used transmission is just that you pay your money and take your chances if it fails maybe they will replace it but the labor they will not pay for an independent shop will R&R it at their expence. As far as snow plowing it's up to the driver the ones that own the truck would be more likely to treat it right.

Rambo MARINE Recon and DoorDing like this.
  4. May 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Just curious - "owned by a family friend" why would you buy from from a dealer you know nothing about ?? My guess is good price that didn't turn out 2 B a good price.

5. May 4, 2015 at 6:42 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Metal in the pan is normal not big pieces mind you but small flakes of steel and brass. An overhaul will involve a new converter, a rebuilt converter or a flushed original
    it has to be done if the unit has issues. If it has been used to plow you have a right to know that it should have been disclosed if the dealer has any integrity. Legally
    your on you own but I would be on their case.

Rambo MARINE Recon and DoorDing like this.
  6. May 4, 2015 at 7:06 AM
    elarsen

elarsen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    erik
    Vehicle:
    2014 base tacoma
    so far.... lcengineering/magnaflow cat back & intermit wipers
    Talk to the place where you bought it. Be rational, and let them make decisions. It would be up to you to agree to them though. I would also check your state laws. Many states have lemon laws. They sell a truck with bad transmission and not stand behind it. Push for the lemon law, where they buy it back!

7. May 4, 2015 at 7:43 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    If the dealership has changed hands since you bought it would be nothing but a gesture of kindness and mercy for them to take any responsibility or cut you any slack.
    As for what to expect in prices a rebuild will most likely set you back 3k to 5k depending on who you use, what needs to be done, and the warranty length. Jasper is very expensive.
    The cheapest way is a junk yard tranny, but then unless you install it that can get expensive if it does not work properly and has to be exchanged.

8. May 4, 2015 at 7:46 AM
    j.d.mason

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I was in the market for a used Tacoma, not a new one. Their dealership didn't have any that fit my bill, and I was in a bit of a time constraint as well. I'm still happy with my purchase as the vehicle seems to be in pretty good shape otherwise, although it is definitely unfortunate.

That's my plan. I'm not angry with the current manager of the dealership as it wasn't under his control at the time. I am going to present the issue and see what they're willing to work with. I should check if we have any lemon laws up here in Canada. Hopefully there's something to help with!

I'm going to see what other tranny's will cost either from wreckers and/or from transmission shops, and we will see how it goes.

9. May 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Just because somebody snowplow with the truck does not mean transmission is dead. More than likely it needs cleanup and fresh fluid. I would start with that and continue driving.

10. May 5, 2015 at 4:11 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Snow plowing is not one of the better ways to care for a transmission especially with a driver that does not own it. I suspect it has low miles and if it is having issues it most likely is related they are pretty tough transmissions and seldom have problems. There is a guy here in town that has a new $70,000 Ford he plows, in 3 months he has broken the plow twice broke off a plow mount hit the rear bumper so hard you can see the big dents that the frame left from the inside. Granted he is a idiot but it is possible to really trash a truck fast plowing, one sure fire way is to get it stuck then try for hours to try to get it out The OP had a right to know and the new owners had to know it was a yard truck and most likely were the ones that took the plow off.

DoorDing likes this.
  11. May 5, 2015 at 4:35 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    How many weeks AFTER you bought the truck did the transmission start slipping? Do you suspect the selling dealership KNEW the transmission was about to fail? And typically, I can look at a truck VERY quickly and see if there a plow was every mounted on the truck, there should be marks or fitting on the frame, behind and below the front bumper and they must have been holes in the dash and firewall where the control were run and mounted.

Plowing is hard on the CLUTCHES in the transmission and without a tranny coolers, the transmission has a short life. This is a known fact.

Did you LOOK under the vehicle before purchase?

And what legal code requires a seller to tell you about every former use of a vehicle?

Howard

DoorDing likes this.
  12. May 6, 2015 at 3:45 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Normally a dealer would not know if any one had used it as a plow truck that's some thing they don't check but the dealership used it to plow so there is no way they are off the hook. A sensible driver can use a truck for years to plow and not have any problems with the transmission or any thing else then there are drivers with drive shafts on the ground, caved in doors and some thing that looks like it fell of a cliff. There seems to be two types the launch snow into the woods type and the others that use low range and push snow guess what ones have issues? The OP has a valid point the truck belonged to the dealership they pushed snow with it, it is not like they did not know. It had been used to plow it is some thing that they should have disclosed and I hope for the OP they take care of it.

DoorDing likes this.
  13. May 6, 2015 at 6:59 AM
    j.d.mason

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I'm currently waiting on the dealership to let me know. I spoke to the manager of the dealership on Monday; I went in to speak to him in person. He indicated that he would have to talk to his superiors before setting anything in stone. He did acknowledge that it should have been disclosed, and that this shouldn't have happened. He loosely said that he might be able to offer me a full refund, although part of me wants to just get the tranny fixed and move forward rather than start shopping for a car again - especially because I use it for work every day.

We shall see what comes of it though!

14. May 6, 2015 at 7:37 AM
    Justn868

Justn868 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    14 4x4 TRD OR
    That really sucks! I hope this gets resolved in your favor

15. May 6, 2015 at 7:52 AM
    Old School

Old School You are ignoring covfefe by this member.

Member:
    I didn't see whether the truck is 4x4, or 4x2, but I would also consider checking your U-joints, and rear diff for excessive play as well...

16. May 6, 2015 at 8:37 AM
    j.d.mason

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It is a 4x4. The u-joints I can and will check. I just replaced the diff fluids and whatnot, and nothing stuck out as out-of-place. I think the u-joints need to be addressed as I've got a slight lurch into drive/reverse whenever I select it, although I think I'll see what the tranny situation has to offer before I start replacing other items, as who knows what the true culprit is.

17. May 10, 2015 at 4:56 PM
    j.d.mason

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    So the official diagnosis from Toyota (the good dealership) indicated that codes P0756 (Shift solenoid B stuck off) and P2714 (Pressure control solenoid D stuck off) were showing when scanned. Fluid also appeared burnt, and there were pieces of loose metal found within the fluid. The mileage on the vehicle is currently 91,393km.

I told that to the other dealership (where I bought the vehicle), and their response was as follows:
    "Sorry for the late response, I have spoken with our service department and they have assured me that all of the regular service was done on the truck as can be seen by the service records below. An extended warranty was offered to you when you purchased the car and you declined. In order for me to help with any repairs I would need to have the truck at Markville Toyota so our service department can do an assessment of the situation. Please let me know if this can be arranged."

Here is a copy of the maintenance record being referenced:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I'm trying to figure out how to respond. Basically I'm pissed because they never disclosed to me that it was a plow - if they had I would have thought twice about purchasing the vehicle, or at the very least adjusted my offer price! I'm hoping that I'm not completely screwed!

We shall see!

18. May 11, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Sounds like the place where you purchased the truck didn't find it necessary to service the transmission at 88k . If they used the truck for plowing , it should have been serviced much sooner than this (60K) . This leads me to believe that the transmission was overlooked before the dealership put it up for sale . I have seen this hundreds of times even on the new Toyota trucks . A few UN-answered questions? Maybe they did service the transmission at 60k but due to severe use the transmission fluid burnt up in a short period of time causing the shift solenoid and pressure control to build up with debris from the pan and stick shut .There is evidence that the vehicle was scanned at the time of re-sale and its strange why the codes were not posted in the history report unless the codes didnt show up at that time .
    Now you as the owner are on the hook for at the very least $800- $1000 bucks attempting to fix the original transmission .In Canada , you have 30 days to return the truck if purchased without a warranty .
    I have some info here that might help you source parts https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/shift-kit-shift-recalibration-kit-for-2nd-gen.289913/

19. May 11, 2015 at 12:38 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    This is interesting, it says truck had Transmission flush at 80000 km (49 000 mile) but 8000 km later you get truck with burnt fluid ?
    Something is very fishy...

20. May 11, 2015 at 12:53 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It wouldn't surprise me if the dealer just did a drain and fill instead of a flush like they are supposed to. That would explain the burnt fluid in such a short amount of time.

Products Discussed in

To Top