1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Seal and Carrier Bearing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sardog2111, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Dec 11, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    sardog2111

sardog2111 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    05 silver streak DC, 5100, borla exhuast
    5100's, Volant Intake, Borla Exhaust. FJ wheels, Wet Okole's. HID's, Go Rhino Steps bars.
    So i was looknig at my truck today and noticed a little oil coming from the end of the transmission where the drive shaft starts. My question is how hard is it to replace that seal, the repair manual says to drain fluid to replace, has anyone ever replaced this seal? Then i followed the drive shaft down and checked the carrier bearing and notices it has a tear in it, so that needs to be replaced as well. That looks pretty straight forward, Is it just as it appears for removal and reinstall. Would you guys go with OEM or is there another brand that is better to replace it with. Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    How bad of a "leak" is it? If its not dripping I would call it normal seepage. If you had pics we could help you out more.

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    2009 taco

2009 taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    lompton, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 sport
    jba headers, outlaw flowmaster, 3 inch pipes, k and n cold air intake, throttle body spacer, halo headlights, HIDs, deaver springs, kings all the way round, Built right UCAs, camburg spindles, Satoshi bumper and main grill, sliders
    I just Noticed the same thing on mine. im taking it in in wed. someone on TW told me there is a tsb for it. so hopefully they honor it. if not i will replace it thurs and let you know if it was hard and supply pics.

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    sardog2111

sardog2111 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    05 silver streak DC, 5100, borla exhuast
    5100's, Volant Intake, Borla Exhaust. FJ wheels, Wet Okole's. HID's, Go Rhino Steps bars.
    was not a leak more like a think film of fluid on the bottom of the transmission coupler or whatever that thing on the end of the transmission is. I am way past the TSB timeframe 150,000 on my truck. Please let me know how hard it is to replace, cant see why you would have to drain the transmission fluid to replace it, seems like a way to charge you more money to change an 11 dollar seal.

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 12:01 AM
    Taco11

Taco11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Seattle WA
    I wouldnt bother if it hasnt formed a drip. Try cleaning it off with some brake clean and take a look at your next oil change.

6. Jan 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    SurfnWolf

SurfnWolf Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double Cab
    I was looking at mine today, and also have a enough to form a drip..not sure how much might be leaking mines on 06, 75000. Is there a TSB, not sure they would fix it under my powertrain? Anyone have this done, was there a tsb?

7. Dec 4, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    Foxer

Foxer Well-Known Member

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab PreRunner
    I noticed the same thing the other day... a small amount of Oil where the driveshaft connects to the transmission.... also a small amount of splash caused by the shaft spinning. But nothing that drips to the ground and creates a visible spot.

Very minimal...very small amounts....but still a little concerning.

I have an 06 V6 w/ 54,000 miles

To Top