1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission whine

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:23 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey all, first let me give the description of what it does and then tell you what is is NOT so I dont get alot of useless posts.

I have a 05 4x4 Access cab TRD Offroad 4.0l 6spd manual with 37,000 miles. The only mods are are TRD rims and Cooper STT tires (stock size).

Recently I have noticed an intermittent whine coming from my transmission/driveline. It sounds like straight cut gears or gear driven cams or a supercharger whine(take your pick which description you like). When it does happen it happens in all gears 1-6 and can definatly be heard over the engine and exhaust note as I am accelerating, decelerating, and holding a constant speed. It tends to happen all day when its going, then it just stops for a while before it comes back.

Now, that being said... It is not coming from the engine or any componants attached to the engine (i.e. steering pump, alternator, AC pump, etc), it is not the stereo either. It is not the tires either, yes the STT's whine but I know the sound of those. This whine overpowers them, especially when next to a wall or barrier that reflects the sound. It happens when the transmission is engaged in gear and moving forward. The whine increases in pitch until I shift, then its in the next gear and so on and so on. The tranny is smooth, no clunky jerky movements. Everything feels fine with exception of the whine and I feel that I can almost "FEEL" the whine through the floorboard/pedels as I drive

There is no leak from any component in my transmission or rear diff. Service has been comleted on schedule and on time by toyota service centers. Never had any problem with my truck before. I have towed, gone off-roading, and drive normally. Does anyone else know what this could be, I am fairly knowledgeable about cars as I am working on a 68 firebird and have done several 80's-90's mustang. I also do all my own work on my motorcycles so...

Basically I am looking for someone who has dealt with this before and has a good idea of what it was (or what the deal found) so when I take my truck in I can push them to check it. I havent had a chance to go in yet because I am usually on travel monday-friday and only home sat-sun when the service centers are closed.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

2. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    My driveshaft center bearing whines likes an unhappy diff.....

3. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    i have the same transmission and recently noticed something like that if i have pressure on the stick holding it down or up depending on the shifter position.

4. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    So you mean that say if your in second gear, our still kind of pushing it down into second? I do keep/rest my hand/arm on the shifter as I am driving. HHHMMMMMM I wonder if it could really be that easy. I wont be able to tell until I am home on friday.

5. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    rhys

rhys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    6-spd 4x4 sb or
    afe intake, flexalite fan, cab a/c outlet, de-chrome in progress, bedlined sides, custom head and tail lights, arb front
    yup, exactly

hopefully thats it

6. Jun 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Rhys, I will keep you posted on what happens with my checking on that.

Anyone else have any info, thoughts?

7. Jun 23, 2010 at 8:38 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Anyone have any more ideas...

8. Jun 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    Navigator

Navigator Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DC Sport 6spd
    17" American Racing Assaults on 265/70/17 Goodyear AT/S, TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Toyota Roof Rack, XM install with antenna out 3rd brake light, Red LED Map Lights, AUX Amber LED rocker switch for LED footwell lights, LUND Bug Screen, EXTANG Tri-Fold Tonneau, Hertz Component Speakers w/ TacoTunes Mounts, Infinity Kappa 4 amp, Image Dynamics 10" sub in TacoTunes enclosure, Pop n' Lock, Toyota Aluminum Wedge Running Boards, BHLM, Self Performed '05 Cowl Leak TSB, E-Z Cool Insulation/Sound Deadener applied to floorboard, headliner, and cab bulkhead, 896 Foglight bulbs as backup lights, Weathertechs, Pioneer Double Din, Scan Gauge, AutoSoft Remote Start, 2010 4Runner Heated/Signal/Puddle Mirrors.
    I had a bad whine very similar to what you're describing. It basically sounded like my truck was supercharged, which it wasn't. I had it built up in my head that it was the alternator, since I'd recently degreased the engine. Pulled the belt and it ended up being a bad idler bearing. I'd pull the belt and check yours, there is a total of 3 idlers, plus the tensioner. For some reason the FJ crowd seems to have ongoing trouble with them, but you don't read much about it on the Taco Forums.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/maintenance-tech/70698-idler-pulley-problem-solved.html

Does it whine when you rev it in neutral, or are you completely confident it is a driveline issue?

9. Jun 24, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    As did mine until I shimmed it down. Now it runs silent.

I would start there I had the exact same issue and noticed instantly upon shimming the rear diff that it was gone along with the vibrations I felt on takeoff.

Edit:

Try this it takes 10 min if you use washers for spacers and remove the bolts one at a time.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-vibration-fix-write-up-may-work-you-too.html

To Top