1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

travel trailer towing capability

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by martygangis, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jul 10, 2017 at 7:09 AM
    hazards280

hazards280 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Blkout Taco, I'm in the market for a 2017 Tacoma and the only thing holding me back from purchasing one is my concern on the Tacoma's towing abilities. Our travel trailer is very similar to yours, except it's a bit smaller (22RBK Fiberglass Northtrail 4.6k Dry). I also have weight distribution bars on the trailer. Can you share with me some details on how well the Taco did while towing this load?

I'm currently towing with a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (5.7 V8 HEMI/ZF 8-Speed and Quadra-Lift Air) and it tows very well without any "sag" in the rear. I'm just looking for some change, and I really like the size and design of the Tacoma. The GC is rated to 7,200 lbs and the Tacoma's at 6,800. If I got strictly off of numbers, it shouldn't have any trouble but I'm just concerned about the 3.5 Liter engine being up to the task.

Does the engine rev quite high while driving at 65-70 mph? How bad does the rear end sag with the load?

I have a Prodigy P3 Controller in the Jeep as well. I'll be moving that to the Taco if I go that route.

Thank you!

-hazards280

Blkout Taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    drecendez

drecendez Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunner SR5, DBL cab, Long bed, factory tow pkg.
    Hellwig air bags, Prodigy 3 brake controller
    I just finished Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Yellowstone with my 3,300 lb dry travel trailer. Buy a full size or 3/4 ton pickup. That's what I'm going to do.

3. Aug 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM
    Blkout Taco

Blkout Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    3 inch Icon VD, TRD Pro wheels, BFG KO2 285 70 17, IT MAG Steps, LED Lighting All round
    No sag with the correct weight control. I use a husky 800lb. Perfectly level. As far as power, I only travel around 65 mph, put the tranny in manual mode to hold in 5th gear.. Everything has been more than expected considering I run 285/75/17 BFG KO2's.

Products Discussed in

To Top