1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Traveling the Country for 6 Months in my Tacoma?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by 19tacoma_53, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM
    19tacoma_53

19tacoma_53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR DCSB
    Hello all, I am in the very very beginning stages of planning a huge 6+ month road trip of the western U.S. (namely Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc). I will be graduating from The Ohio State University this coming May and have always told myself I would take a summer or more off before I start my career and settle in to the rest of my life lol.

I am very outdoorsy and also a cheapskate so I plan on cooking 90% of my meals, and camping (sleeping in my truck), hiking, and seeing National/ State Parks for the vast majority of the time. I have camped from my trucks often and am no stranger to a long road trip, but nothing for longer than a few weeks. I am mainly planning on sticking to regular roads and forest service roads - maybe a few trails here and there with people that know what they are doing.

I have a '19 SR AC with some modest upgrades and I know I will need to get a cap, rack system, awning, fridge, road shower, and other odds and ends to make this happen.

I guess all this is to say I am looking for any and all advice, whether it's; places to see, what upgrades I NEED to do on my truck to make it ok to live out of for half a year, budgeting, literally anything. I am in the very beginning stages of this trip and I want to make sure I think of everything before I go and do it!

- Also I really want to pack as light as possible for simplicity sake.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Tacotsubo likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    Kovaci

Kovaci Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    SD / IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green DCSB TRD Off Road
    Good luck man! My wife and I are looking at doing a similar trip next year as well!

I would start looking for a cap now through Marketplace/here. They go quickly so unless you want to shell out for new it may take some time to get a decent used one... although I feel like I've seen a ton of long bed shells up for sale in the midwest recently. I would also look at potentially making a cheap sleeping platform with storage/drawer slides underneath. Organization always helps me feel a little more sane on long trips haha.

Tacotsubo and 19tacoma_53[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM
    Tacotsubo

Tacotsubo Mediocre at best

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DCSB TRD OffRoad
    Fox 2.0 PS Coil 3 Inch Lift, Fox 2.0 Smooth, AAL, Modular bed platform, Softopper, New Tail LIght, Rock Sliders
    Screenshot_20201207-133739_Amazon Shopping.jpg You may want to think about Big Bend in Texas. Beautiful park and a good place to either start or finish your trip.

Edit: I just found this on Amazon today.

19tacoma_53[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 18, 2021 at 9:03 AM
    4wdmurph

4wdmurph Active Member

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    How is your road trip going? :mudding:

To Top