1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Travelling through OH with a PA CCW.

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Marc M, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Sep 28, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    Marc M

Marc M [OP] Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    What is the procedure to travel through OH with my handgun? I know I can get a permit from FL or UT, but I don't spend much time in OH and don't care to pay to have it with me there.

I don't need to carry but would like to keep it in the truck.

Marc M

2. Sep 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    Ohio is an Open Carry state id find out the open carry laws over on the www.opencarry.org forums

[​IMG]

3. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    i'm just going to throw in my .02..

i may not be answering your question directly, and for that i apologize..

i am all about the 2nd ammendment and i carry often.. but only in the state that i live. each state has different rules and sometimes some cops aren't up on them, they change frequently and there are a lot of grey areas. even if i'm allowed to, and i'm legal, but they don't think so, i don't want the hassle.

4. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    If ya don't get into trouble, then no one will know. If ya do get into trouble, well good thing you brought your gun then.

5. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    In PA "Open Carry" does NOT include carrying in a vehicle, I believe that term is the same all over. So to the best of my knowledge these rules will not apply to you. If the firearm is in your vehicle it is considered concealed (there are certain exceptions like if you just bought it, if you are going to shoot or to get it fixed, but it can't be readily accessible and the ammo should be separate (unloaded).

This is to the best of my knowledge. Gun laws are tricky.

6. Sep 28, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

correct you do need a LTCF in PA to carry in the car... most open carry states like VA you dont need a license to carry in the car openly....i have my LTCF from PA. do you post on www.PAFOA.org ?? i visit PA occasionally mainly Norristown/Philly and have carried openly in both. I got my Florida CCW so i can carry in DE, VA and WV on my trips up there only state i cant carry in is MD and SC(glove box only) and of course the District of Columbia

7. Sep 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    uh, every state is an open carry state, it's called the 2nd amendment, try at your own risk, they can still nail you for enducing panic ect ect, OH will not honor PA's CCW licence, so if i were you i'd unload it, lock it, and seperate the ammo from the gun when you're drivin thru the state, to each his own

8. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:09 AM
    scrappletaco

scrappletaco Damn Deer and Idoit Drivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsport PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 reg cab 4x4, Debadged and dirty
    Debadged, Removed Charcoal filter
    Yeah they can be dicks and hold your truck and gun and charge you a fine

9. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    I have a va cc permit, and I can attest that you must be cautious carrying in other states. I'm from pa, and plan on getting my pa cc permit. When I travel from va to pa I must unconceal my weapon thru md, and separate ammo.

Ohio is tricky with other states cc permits though.

10. Sep 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    This^^^

Also keep in mind that while it may be legal to open carry, it may not be prudent. I live in a "Golden Star open carry state" but i normally don't open carry because I live in a hippy town and people get very very nervous around me. And that includes my towns local law enforcement.

11. Sep 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

pretty sure you have to unload and put the gun in a locked container with the ammo separate and you cant really stop and hang out in MD only gas breaks and what not...

12. Sep 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

while i agree they are(ideally)...... its still against states statutes i doubt the op wants to be a test case for carrying openly in NYC

13. Sep 29, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    trust me, i dont eff with MD. they suck up there

14. Oct 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Been in OC,MD concealing my 5" springfield 1911 all day. No trouble. Just don't act like a dumb ass and you'll be fine.

15. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Unload it and put in a case or in a compartment accessible only by exiting the vehicle.

16. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:42 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    Who is Ron Paul \/ this guy standing next to me

[​IMG]

17. Oct 1, 2011 at 7:51 PM
    Dilley

Dilley Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    KN Cold air intake, Dynomax exaust, Husky liners
    You got a pic with Ron Paul! :D That is awesome.. If I ever got the chance I think I would frame it.

18. Oct 1, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    actually more than one...this was at the Mises Institute Convention: End the Fed. It was held on Jekyll Island where the federal reserve was created.(as was i :D ) that pic /\ was the day of his keynote speech at the convention this one \/ was from the dinner the night before and was more casual

[​IMG]

i honestly should have invited him to my political science class i had on sat morning he likes talking to college kids and he was so approachable i think he might have went

19. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    here is the legal way to transport firearms in a vehicle in ohio:

1) CHL license (that is honored in OH) - loaded handgun(s) permitted w/ license in vehicle, prior to October there were some limits on "how" to carry loaded handguns in the vehicle, but those restrictions have now been repealled. **Note - long guns in the vehicle must be unloaded and transported as in (2) below***

2) if you do not have a CHL license honored in OH - easiest is to put firearms in a location accessible only by leaving the vehicle... all firearms must be "unloaded"... ok, so what does "unloaded" mean in OH: it means no ammo in the actions and no ammo in any "compatible" magazines or speedloaders, ...regardless of separation from the firearms and regardless of where they are located in the vehicle...

Products Discussed in

To Top