1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD a neccesity for the beach?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomania, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey forum,

Was looking for some advice, how critical would everyone say the TRD offroad package with the locking rear differential would be for some casual beach riding?

I found a really good deal on the 2010 SR5 access cab, AUTO 4X4, 6cyl - Do you guys think this would perform well on the beach, or do you think the lack of a locking rear would leave me predisposed to get stuck?

Other than the beach I need the 4x4 for snowy//icy VT winters, once again do you guys think the SR5 would serve my dual purpose of surving VT winters and some causual summer beach cruising (in NY where the sand can be loose) or do you think I need to reevaluate and shop around for a TRD model.....

...note curently cant afforrd the TRD and found an SR5 that just squeaks into my price range, any advice greatly appreciated

2. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i think you'd be fine as long as you have 4x4 and air down while in the sand....airing down is one of the more important factors. i dont think you'd need a locker at all for the sand......it could be a hindrance in some cases.

3. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

X1

4. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    a locker isnt always helpful...they sometime get you more stuck

but alot of the time they are more helpful :)

5. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I aired down and drove in 4hi the whole time without even getting close to stuck... oh I have an SR5

6. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks for the initial replies!!

Not sure if you guys have any experience, but a little more complex question - how do you think the transition from a 96 Cherokee sport to this 2010 SR5 taco would be in terms of beachability???

assuming not as good, as I never had to air down in the jeep, anything else I should worry about if I go with the SR5?

7. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    if you never aired down with the jeep i dont see why youd "have" to air down with the taco. airing down is just an aid to help you and make driving in the sand less stressful and more pleasurable.

i dont drive on the beach so dont listen to me but thats just my opinion. and thats not a smart ass remark! i really dont drive on the beach

8. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Okay, when I was at PISMO beach driving on the compact sand I was fine in 2wd, even in the mildly loose sand I was good, but as soon as I stopped or tried to go up hill it would dig in (not aired down). I got stuck (not aired down) once in the thick loose sand but I kicked it into 4lo and backed out.

In the dunes I had to air down, my sig is in the dunes of PISMO

Save the money on the TRD, go with the SR5... the only downfall is the locker which you don't need in the sand.

9. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats

You will be just fine with a sr5. Its what he said. In the sand is the same as in deep snow. Lower that pressure in the low 10 ths so you have a foot print as wide is possible. Don't forget ,, is very important that you keep momentum and try not to spin the wheels. The moment you start to spin you will dig deep. If you don't mind sweating a little,??? take two pieces of treated planks ( much more flexible and does not break that easy-about 4-5')each and a small shovel with you. Even a small belt, just in case you really get stuck someone can pull you out. Remember this should be fun and even if you get stuck, there is always around to help you. Save your money and have fun. Yes, I have a TRD OR but I wanted more then I needed.

10. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    bdwsrjoe

bdwsrjoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Rio Hondo, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Offroad 4X4
    K&N Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, 3" ToyTec Lift Kit, JVC InDash DVD Player with Backup Camera, 2 10" JL Audio Subs, 8K HID Headlights, 8K HID Foglights, N-Fab Nerf Steps, In-Channel Ventvisors, springfield xd40v10, mossberg 500 12ga.
    I've never had to air down at the beach & I've only had to use 4hi once....

[​IMG]

11. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    tacomania

tacomania [OP] Member

Member:

cool man , sick pic btw!

Thanks for all the replies so far, getting me stoked on picking up this truck...

Just to be safe does anyone disagree and think it would be a poor decision?

12. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    Even you spend on week, most of the guys here will tell you that for what you are planing to do?? you made an excellent choice. Save on the TRD and get a supercharger. Unless you are getting a 6spd manual you will see that with four people the truck is working pretty hard on some of your mountains. Good luck and Welcome to TW.

13. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    ^
    +1 ;)

And airing down is key to sand!

14. Dec 10, 2009 at 5:22 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    I have 4x4 and no locker and I do fine at the sand dunes ;).

To Top