1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Cold Air Intake - what's the scoop?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by rb11701, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I know there are a few threads about this kicking around but I am looking for some good info. I was able to come across a brand new TRD CAI for $258, never been opened. Good price in my book seeing what people are getting on ebay. ($300+) Is it REALLY worth my time to install this? Cash really isn't the issue here. If I chose not to open it, I can always sell it again. Who won't buy a brand new CAI for that money if they wanted a CAI. What am I really going to see/feel/hear? Is it better than the stock? If yes, why? If no, why?

Everything else is stock on the truck, I will not be adding a URD MAF sensor. In fact, I am not really a mod guy. Price was just too good to pass up. I just need some good facts about this CAI before I go ahead and put it in or leave it out.

I see people say that CAI are gimmicks. And I think the ones that have the filter open inside the engine are (high-flow air I think). But this one seems to gather the same air from the same location as the stock. Seems more streamlined and has a less restrictive filter. Sounds like a good deal. So why do people frown on them? Wouldn't streamlining the intake make sense? I mean all the TRD stuff makes something better, perhaps on a small scale but I doubt anything TRD will make my truck worse. Right? :rolleyes:

So what would you guys do? Leave it out and re-sell or throw it in?

I also see people saying power is actually lost in the low range. Only about 5k will I see a gain. If I am giving the engine better air, wouldn't I have power (more of it or at least the same) in the lower ranges? I am not looking for monumental gains here. I just don't want to hurt anything or give me power where I will never really see it or take power away where I really need it. And if I sound a litter nicer, so be it.

Please, I am not looking for CAI bashers. I would like to see some pros and cons from some people who have or have been around one of these. (TRD version) So I can make a educated decision whether I want to keep this or not.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    TRD did their R&D when it comes to this intake system, while your truck may not make the claimed horsepower its a good mod in my opinion. I just purchased one 2 weeks ago for $220 used so you got a good deal on it. I've noticed a crisp throttle response and obvious louder engine air intake noise, havent driven the truck long enough to give you gas mileage reports though. Nobody's right foot is a dyno so if you wanna see how much power you make/lose do a before and after run but my 2cents is toss it in and enjoy it, worst case scenario is you dont like it and sell it for what you got into it

3. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Ok, I am always stupid late in the nite lol, what does dyno mean? (pardon my ignorance please)

As for the CAI, yeah man the deal was kickin'. Couldn't let it go by. At the very least, I can turn around and sell it and make a few dollars maybe.

I am leaning towards putting it in. But after I bought it, I started reading these doom and gloom stories all over the net bashing different CAI. Although no bashing of the TRD one which was encouraging. I would like a beefier sound and although I said no mods, a good exhaust is not out of the question for me. Perhpas 5100's...Ok, so a few mods lol....

Just out of curiosity, what year is your truck?

4. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    That is a good deal. It is a good intake. You should take advantage of it.

Gadget

5. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Gadget. Good to hear. I mean, your URD and if you say it is a decent intake...I gotta believe ya.

6. Aug 5, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    dyno=dynamometer....a tool/machine used to test for torque and horsepower. The vehicle is placed on a roller set up so the wheels can spin....the machine is hooked to a computer that reads out horsepower and torque at diffrent rpms and graphs them...if all you are slapping on is the CAI...not really worth it to dyno...unless you plan on further upgrades....like the trd supercharger..you might want to dyno the truck stock so you have a baseline

7. Aug 6, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, never knew what the term ment. Figured it had to be something like that from reading about people getting it done. As for mods, like I said I am not really into modding my truck. CAI was too good to pass up, maybe and exhaust and 5100's. I highly doubt I will ever put a s/c in. I guess I needed some opnions on this CAI to see if it is worth.

I just don't want to lose any power in the lower RPM range. I am never over 5K unless I have to gun it, which I try not to do. So I guess that is the reason behind my thread. I am way past gunning it around town. I am not going to blow by someone just to hear myself roar.

If I get a crisp response, nice sound and no loss of power (or even a gain) in my driving range then it will go in. If not, it might have to go.

8. Aug 6, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    yeah its nice when you get past the point of needing to rip arround town showing off...some of us need a little longer to get that out of our system from our teenage years! I dont think you would lose any horse power...any loss would be a minimal ammount of torque in the low rpm range...but it should give you better response, better sound and more power and torque available when you need it....like passing someone and your rpms are going to be up anyway...slap her on and call it a day

9. Aug 6, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Bah, I had a 97 Taco that got recalled and got everything out of my system with that for 11 years. Stereo, tint, shocks, bull bar, etc etc.. All that stuff was cool for me. And I still think it is cool. For someone else. What is cool though now, is a 09 with no car payment. Cold hard cash!

Once I got married and had a son, everything was different. Shit, I spent 250 on a CAI and I feel guilty that I should have put it in the bank for him. All well, when he gets the taco he can thank me! I am hoping for 16 years and no recalls on this one!

Products Discussed in

To Top