1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Audible, May 11, 2007.

1. Jul 4, 2007 at 6:37 AM
    midV6size

midV6size Active Member

Member:
    Too Loud? Only when you get on it!!!

I think the Magnaflow cat back system sounds awesome.

2. Jul 4, 2007 at 8:54 AM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    I agree the magnaflow isn't that loud unless I wail on it, it has a great sound.

3. Jul 4, 2007 at 10:07 AM
    BigGeeDee67

BigGeeDee67 Member

Member:
    First post!! I've installed other exhausts before(cars etc..), is the TRD exhaust easy to install at home?

I'm new here, 07 DC, TRDoffroad.

Yes, it comes as a complete one piece unit/system and is a total Bolt-on application. All you need is to keep and use your Original Gasket. FYI, Make sure when you order/purchase it, you specify what type of Bed size you have. But as a suggestion from someone that own a TRD exhaust, for the Price, why don't you get another Brand of Exhaust system and/or just and another Brand of Muffler & Tip install.

Quote and he works for Toyota
    brant_trd
    I have the TRD exhaust, but I only paid $225 for it cause I work at toyota, so I get employee discount on all TRD and Toyota parts. I think it sounds good, but if you are looking for performance go with Flowmaster or Magnaflow. Yeah I believe BigGeeDee67 is right. Spintech is another exhaust that sounds good.
    And if you like the loud rice burner sound go with Borla.

Different suject but might help you decide
    reid
    I just put a MagnaFlow catback stainless muffler and pipe on my 07 V6 tacoma. I am old and the neighbours already complained. I got it for $500 CAD. It is a full stainless catback 2.5" in 3.0" out, with 30km on it. I still have the box and warrenty. I am now looking for the flowmaster catback. If you could get one stainless or galvanized I would trade. The MagnaFlow is just a bit too loud.

I now have the Stainless Straight Through MagnaFlow Muffler and my Nephew Has the 40 Series FlowMaster Muffler on his 07 V6 Tacoma and in my honest opinion and Not to disrespect, the FlowMaster is much (but not too much) louder than my MagnaFlow Muffler. And I have Headers on my Tacoma too! Lataz!

4. Jul 4, 2007 at 10:49 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    Thanks for the info guys!! Ya, I know the TRD exhaust doesn't do much for performance but what I'm afraid of more is an exhaust that's too loud!! I had this same issue with one of my cars and I ended up going with less performance and a nice low growl because the exhaust was just too much(too loud). The problem is, like my car incident, I don't want to eat the cost and time of swapping these exhaust out. I ended up in the hole and eating a couple of hundred dollars for nothing.

I might try to find one of these on a truck and listen to it to make the final decision.

5. Jul 4, 2007 at 7:19 PM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    I installed (two bolts and 5 hangers) my TRD exhaust in my driveway and only had to jack up the end of the truck for some additional room. I also purchased a new exhaust gasket just to make sure I would not have any exhaust leaks.

6. Jul 4, 2007 at 9:01 PM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    How do you like it? Hows the sound and do you feel any performance?

7. Jul 5, 2007 at 12:28 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    The problem with the loud exhaust is that I live on a hill. The truck revs up when I start it and go up the hill. I have heard the flowmaster, it sounded louder at idle, but not as loud when reved up. Does this sound right?

8. Jul 5, 2007 at 4:35 AM
    COL. Daniel A. Ness

COL. Daniel A. Ness Active Member

Member:
    I am new to Taco`s. But should you not start with tuned stainless headers? That has always been the cheapest way to power and MPG for free.

9. Jul 5, 2007 at 4:47 AM
    COL. Daniel A. Ness

COL. Daniel A. Ness Active Member

Member:
    Hello Bee Gee,
    How much did the JBA Headers help.
    I am in the country and wear a pistol. Noise is not a problem.
    I have a FI V6 with a 5 spd auto.

10. Jul 5, 2007 at 9:36 AM
    Panama Red

Panama Red Well-Known Member

Member:
    TRDfly:
    The TRD exhaust is not as loud as a Borla or the other aftermarket mufflers but you can hear is it when accelerating. It is sounds like the standard exhaust when idleing, declereating or cruising (quiet), but it is still louder than the standard exhaust the rest of the time.

Another good point for the TRD exhaust is it is ALL stainless so no rust like the standard exhaust.

11. Jul 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM
    dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    im new here and this is also my first post. id just like to thank everyone for all the good info. i think im going to go with the borla. i have a 07 doublecab prerunner with 1500 miles on it as of today. i live in las vegas so im not worried about rust in any way shape or form. rust hates vegas

12. Oct 1, 2007 at 9:01 PM
    SDroots27

SDroots27 Member

Member:
    University City, CA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2005 Pre-Run SR5 X-Cab
    K&N CAI, BORLA Cat-back
    Ok, quick take from anyone on Borla vs flowmaster and magnaflow, TRD. I just ordered a Borla for my exhaust but did not hear/see the word/phrase, "rice burner sound" until I tapped into this forum. From what I have heard is that Borla is some of the highest quality "mufflering" and exhaust you can buy, that's why it's about $100.00 more on avg than flowm. and magna. What do ya'll think. I want a nice throaty sound, but I'm not looking to do break stands and look around to see who's looking at my truck and the sound it makes. It's for me! only. No show off maneuvers for me, just satisfaction and goood sound, nothing obnoxious.

Best
    Matt
    San Diego

13. Oct 5, 2007 at 11:39 AM
    sktlaw

sktlaw New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4WD TRD
    Does anyone have any experience with the Banks cat back exhaust system?

14. Oct 22, 2007 at 1:56 PM
    m3dragon

m3dragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Ok BigGeeDee67 I saw you have most of the parts I am going to install.

Volant CAI - How do you like it? I am looking at getting one with the scoop attachment

Street & Performance TBS - ?

JBA Headers - How do you like the sound and feel any gains or MPG (When the lead is out of your foot)

UniChip - Is this a pre program one or is this the one you need to tune?

TRD Exhaust W/MagnaFlow Muffler - TRD with Magna flow? I thought TRD was a complete unit.

Spill the beans

15. Dec 22, 2007 at 6:01 PM
    littleschipper

littleschipper Active Member

Member:
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4X4 TRD (Stealth mode - No Stinkin' Body Badges here!)
    TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Leer 100XQ Bed Cap, 3M Paint Protector Film, Cool SMT LED Bulbs for Brake Lights, WeatherTech Floor Liners, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bed Divider, 2002 Yamaha V-Max Hot Rod Motorcycle for More Fun!
    The TRD exhaust is made by Borla for Toyota, according to the TRD web site. And as stated earlier, it is a complete cat-back system, all stainless, not just a muffler and tail pipe. The TRD exhaust also has a small heat shield welded on near the spare tire to keep from melting rubber. Keep in mind too that there really isn't a whole lot of a power difference among the top brands until you get well into the upper RPM range and at that point there are other things that contribute to exhaust flow restriction, like the catalytic converters, exhaust manifolds, the size of the pipes, and number and angle of bends in the pipes. When a manufacturer advertises power increases for it's exhaust systems it's usually at peak horsepower production and unless you're always racing the engine you're not getting the full benefit. I think TRD advertises a 15 hp increase or something around there for the V6 engine. Choose your system based on the way it sounds to you and you'll be happy. For everyday driving there's really not enough of a dramatic power difference among the good brands to fret over. Just my opinion...

:burnrubber:

16. Jun 12, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    Shawna

Shawna New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Tocoma
    Ok so i am trying to purchase a Spirel for my truck an i can find out the pipe size i am at work so i cant go look at it.....so can some one tell me :rolleyes:

17. Jun 12, 2008 at 11:26 AM
    roxspin72

roxspin72 Enjoying my addiction

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue, TRD, 4X4,
    Oh Yeah!!!
    I find this post humorous...

I hear TRD is not a performance muffler, magnaflow this, Flow Master that, and Borla is a rice burner Muffler.

One thing I hope we all learn from this, is that it's all personal opinion. I listened to tons of exhaust clips, and I tell you that they all sound like a V6 w/an exhaust upgrade. Dont know where the Borla ricer statement comes from. But, in the end I dont believe any muffler will increase horsepower across the band on it's own. You give up something to gain another, ie... Low end tourqe for high end accelleration.

It takes a complete Exh. sytem tuned w/your intake, not to exclude adjusting the air fuel ratios. But then again, most just want sound, RIGHT...:cool:

18. Jun 13, 2008 at 11:59 PM
    McMantus

McMantus Member

Member:
    That's awesome! :rofl:

19. Mar 17, 2009 at 5:43 PM
    mb_edgar

mb_edgar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan Beach
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off Road Pack
    6000k headlights and fog lights, L.E.D lightning all around, satoshi grill, hella 5100's behind the grill, pnasonic in dash, dual fosgates ps3's behind back seat, powder coated back bumper.
    I work for toyota so I get the trd exhaust real cheap for like 2 something but I want Performance so I might go Borla Or magnaflow but I want to keep the TRD Theme so I'm Getting a TRD Tip For the Exhaust Any Thoughts on that ?

20. Dec 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    Elliebarley1978

Elliebarley1978 Well-Known Member

Member:
    canada
    weathertech floor liners, wet okole fronts, leer 100xq cap, trd exhaust
    Hey reid, are you strill in van? do you still have the magna flow cat back on it? im dying to hear one in person!

Products Discussed in

To Top