1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Header questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dmease5, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Jan 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    dmease5

dmease5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TACOMA
    3" Toyotec lift, Demello Sliders, Grey wire mod, K&N Filter, TRD headers, TRD exhaust, Deck Plate Mod, Switchback LEDs, LED interior lights and dash lights, Red Line hood struts
  2. Jan 25, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    what gaskets did you use for the rest of the pipes?

3. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:54 AM
    MK ULTRA

MK ULTRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JIM
    Huntsville Ala
    Vehicle:
    4X4
    I have a 2003 2.7 4 cy. and the factory exhaust is welded pipe that looks like headers.

How much advantage will I get by replacing the factory exhaust with a good set of headers?

Thanks great site.

4. Jan 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    I took out the TRD gasket from the y-pipe flange that goes to the passenger side manifold and replaced it with the gasket that has the holes for the bolts to go through. I also used a bunch of copper rtv on it and installed then let it sit for a couple hours. BINGo it sealed it up.

BUT IM STILL HEARING A TINY LEAK FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!
    i think its coming from one of the manifolds, cuz i cant feel anything from any of the other flanges.

5. Jan 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
  6. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    dmease5

dmease5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TACOMA
    3" Toyotec lift, Demello Sliders, Grey wire mod, K&N Filter, TRD headers, TRD exhaust, Deck Plate Mod, Switchback LEDs, LED interior lights and dash lights, Red Line hood struts
    Factory replacements

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    fsusteve

fsusteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Naples, Fla
    I can tell you that I removed the cat on my 97 taco when I did the oem header install and welded in a straight pipe with absolutlely no side effects at all. We actually had an increase in performance throughout the power band.

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    StatutoryAPE

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    so the leak came back!!!!!

yesterday i took the entire y-pipe off, cleaned all the flanges, put a ton of copper rtv silicone on all the flanges then let it sit for a lil while. Then used the oem gaskets i had and put it all back together and let the truck sit for a couple hours just to let the rtv dry a bit. No more leaks as of now. Hopefully this time it lasts

9. Feb 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM
    dmease5

dmease5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TACOMA
    I couldnt be happier with the results of my header install. Its been about a month now, and I went through to retighten all the header bolts. I only got at most a half turn on any of them. Still no leaks and I am loving the extra power, and the new growl. Thanks for everyones help.

10. Sep 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Mr Texas

Mr Texas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD PreRunner 4x4
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    I just installed some on my 99 and I am getting a weird rumble and blip on the pedal when I come off the gas a little and when I am reversing. I couldnt find any leaks and I am not sure what else it could be (back pressure problem?) just wondering if any one else with TRDs or other long tubes has had a similar problem.

11. Sep 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    dmease5

dmease5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TACOMA
    Still no issues and nothing like you described. What components did you put on? Did you replace everything or just the header?

12. Sep 19, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Mr Texas

Mr Texas Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Ventura
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD PreRunner 4x4
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Just new TRD headers and Y-Pipe, the Y-Pipe had to be cut and shortened to line up with the passenger side header, CAT and muffler stayed the same (Magnaflow and Flowmaster 50 Delta).

13. Aug 1, 2013 at 3:58 AM
    ezemanf

ezemanf TaTonka

Member:
    First Name:
    EZE
    Cut Off, LA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Prerunner TRD Sport 4x2
    Debadged, JBL factory sound system w/ Entune, Katzkin Grey Leather Interior, Black Suede Headliner, Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks w/ 3” Toytec CoilOvers’ 4.5” Maxtrac Spindle Lift, Ome Dakar Leaf Package, Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift w/ Gap Guards, JBA UCAs, Toytec 2” add-a-leaf, 3” Rear Blocks, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Wheelers off-road Plates and Timbren Rear BumpStops, DTLT Headers, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Exhaust w/ MagnaFlow Muffler, URD Intake, URD Y-Pipe w/ Cat Delete, GrillCraft Mx Upper/Lower Billet Grills, Clear Spyder LED Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Spyder Projector Headlights w/ 6000K HIDs, Cali-Raised LED FogLights, Predator Tube Steps, Avid Front Light Bar, BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, and RGBW Rock Lights.
    I ordered and received a set of DTLT headers and just so happens that DT forgot to package the header bolts. I called DT and they UPSed me a set only to receive an open package with no bolts. Does anyone know what size header bolts I need to install these headers to my engine manifold.

14. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    dmease5

dmease5 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    04 TACOMA
    As long as the stockers come out okay I'd just use them. I'd you dead set on new bolts run down to the hardware store with one of the ones you take out

15. Aug 2, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I wish I could actually find trd headers.. They're all gone now :(. You could get bolts from the dealer, or if yours are in good enough shape you can reuse them, but probably a good idea to just get new ones because they are locking nuts. Also I use antiseize on all exhaust related bolts, so it's possible to take them off in the future

Products Discussed in

To Top