1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD INTAKE NOW STREET LEGAL?!?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey all, looking at the new TRD catalog it does not list the TRD CAI intake as "OFFROAD ONLY" anymore, it says its 50 state legal. Also no where in the catalog does it say the CAI intake CAN NOT be used with the supercharger anymore.

Does this mean that the two can finally be put together without a worry of voiding any warrenties??? If so that is awesome. Anyone have more information on this, is it true?

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/catalog/download/10-11_TRD_Catalog.pdf

2. May 31, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    I would assume anything trd would be legal except maybe Cali.

3. May 31, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    the original (good) one was not street legal. OP do some searching on XRU, the new TRD CAI has issues with causing MAF errors, and gadget recommended not to use them with the supercharger.

4. May 31, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    The old intake specifically stated it would not work with the TRD supercharger. The new one does not. If your vehical does not have the charcoal filter anymore because of the supercharger then I guess its all still good.

I will switch to the new TRD just because I have the supercharger and dont want to give the dealer any reason to try to void the warrenty on it.

5. May 31, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    HHHMMMMMM I will have to e-mail gadget on that one. I have the AFE dry filter currently but would like to switch to the TRD. But if its going to cause MAF issues I might just skip it.

6. May 31, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 Off Road TRD S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD CAI, ToyTec ultimate lift w/ OME rear leafs & LR UAC's, BFG AT's 265/75/16, truxedo bed cover, westin bull bar, grom iPod, chopped frnt mudflaps and radio ant., de-badged.
    May be a dumb question, but I'm new :)

I have the TRD S/C on my '11 4.0 V6, and my TRD intake arrived today, part numbers look the same for all '05-'11 TRD intakes, any way to tell the difference between new/old good/bad?

Or are "old style" Gen1 CAI's? Haven't been home yet to check out my intake (it could be written on the side in 4" lettering).

7. May 31, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 Off Road TRD S/C
    TRD supercharger, TRD CAI, ToyTec ultimate lift w/ OME rear leafs & LR UAC's, BFG AT's 265/75/16, truxedo bed cover, westin bull bar, grom iPod, chopped frnt mudflaps and radio ant., de-badged.
    Awesome Thanks!

I'll throw it on there tonight and see how it does, nice to be forewarned about possible problems. Was hoping to keep it TRD under the hood but it's easy enough to swap CAI's for oil changes etc. if the new style gives me trouble.

8. May 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '11 Off Road TRD S/C
    The 50 state part isn't a typo in the catalog my CAI came with a sticker:

[​IMG]

Just opened the CAI box, my iluminated 4x4 switch mod arrived today as well so I started with it, already one of my favorite mods!

9. May 31, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    Hepdawg69

Hepdawg69 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Supercharged
    I've been hesitant on getting the TRD Intake do to all the negative reading I've done. But I'm still not convinced that it'll cause problems. I've read some post about check engine lights coming on after installing it, could be installed wrong or something wasn't done correctly. Or it's actully causing it to run lean but not in all cases? Wouldn't the MAF read the difference in air and adjust for the change? I also wouldn't think the injectors couldn't handle the added airflow, more air more fuel. I just don't see how they could run lean... Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

I'm sooo tempted to order the TRD intake still...

10. May 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
  11. May 31, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    the first gen 1 was made by AFE, this second is made by AEM

12. May 31, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    now this thread is twice as knowledgeable :D

13. May 31, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    I have the original TRD and my supercharger loves it =). Oh and guys with the 2nd gen trd intake the reason why you are getting lean conditions is because direct oiled replacement filters ( the flat type ) are notorious for oiling up the MAF sensor and that causes lean conditions. Clean your maf once every 500-1000k miles for the first couple grand untill the filter element dries up a little and than you'll be good and safe.

14. May 31, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    TmecTaco79

TmecTaco79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Escondido,CA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner 4x2
    Bilstein 5100's, 33" BFG AT, Magnaflow
    Not trying to thread jack but my question is TRD CAI related. My question is, has anyone else had fitment issues with the first gen CIA tube being a little too short?

15. Aug 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Erad

Erad Member

Member:
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    '11 V6 4.0L
    For those of you getting a lean code such as P0101 or P0102 after installing your trd cai it may be due to your maf getting dirty but what I found on mine was that the plastic nipple for the crank case vent (the 90 degree bent one) has a plastic tree plug blocking up one of the holes. Although in the trd instruction manual it never mentions anything about removing the plug. so I end up installing the intake and about 50 miles later got a CEL. Got a diagnostic code of p0101; looked at my assembly of the intake and found that the plastic plug was blocking up the hole for the crank case creating a huge vacuum. Removed it and so far, everything has been running fine. No cel.

In short, for those of you who get a cel after installing the cai, check your assembly and make sure your vacuum hose in plugged in fully and the plastic plug is removed from the 90 degree plastic nipple.

16. Sep 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Has any removed the charcoal filter on the second version TRD CAI?

17. Sep 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Looking forward to selling my old intake in the near future when I go back to the stock airbox...

18. Sep 23, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I spoke to the guys at afe who designed the 1st gen cai for Trd and they explained that the reason the new intake runs lean is because the tube that was used where the maf is mounted is the wrong diameter (too large) which throws off the maf readings. The 1st gen intake was designed to maintain the same flow volume as the stock airbox. So the maf sensor is calibrated for x diameter tube and the tube they used is llarger so the Maf doesn't realize there's extra air passing by due to a larger possible flow volume...btw if you have a 1st gen Trd intake, check the condition of the silicone connecting hoses...mine were starting to dryrot and flake pieces off inside. Not the kind of thing you want flowing into your motor. They were 20 bucks from afe

Products Discussed in

To Top