1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Locker Won't Disengage

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by MountainTruck, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    MountainTruck

MountainTruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Park City, UT
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma
    K+N Cold air FIPK, 2 in lift, aftermarket Bilstien shocks, magna flow exhaust w/3" pipe, double din DVD stereo, 8" Kenwood subwoofer
    My TRD locker will not disengage on my '03 Tacoma. I followed the instructions from the manuel but it is still engaged in 2wd. I can hear the tires skidding as I go around corners. I am concerned about the wear on my axle, not to mention my studded snow tires.

I have tried re-engaging it and then re-disengaging it to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

I searched for a while and could not find any threads discussing this. Also not sure if this is the right spot for this?

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    :notsure: Just keep trying to turn the wheels left to right.

live via :dancingbacon:

3. Nov 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    MountainTruck

MountainTruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Park City, UT
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma
    K+N Cold air FIPK, 2 in lift, aftermarket Bilstien shocks, magna flow exhaust w/3" pipe, double din DVD stereo, 8" Kenwood subwoofer
    Yeah I guess I will keep trying what the manual suggests (drive slowly turning wheel slowly left and right until the light turns off). The same thing happened last week but eventually released. I probably didn't engage it properly in the first place, I only read the manual after I had a problem of course.

I know most people don't use the locker very often, but I live at the top of neighborhood at over 7000 feet with steep snowpacked roads. If I am not pulling someone out of a snowbank, someone is pulling me out of one.

What would be the proper place for this thread anyway? I figured this one was for front axle swaps but thought axles>lockers?

This was two nights ago:
    [​IMG]

4. Nov 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D44/Ford 9"
    SAS.. Need I say more.
    I always go in reverse and then forward, 4wd for me is similar and won't disengage sometimes just need to go backwards a little then forward. Same with my manual hubs..

To Top