1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD/ Magnuson 4.0 Supercharger Tips, Tricks, and Mods

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 12TRDTacoma, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:32 PM
    White lightning boosted

White lightning boosted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    i forgot to do that. it isnt critical imho. my airbox is fitting snug w/o those. not mission critical.

2. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:50 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    Thanks for checking. I should be good. It looks the one I’m buying has them after all.

3. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:52 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    Lift, pedal commander, led foglights, led interior lights, led back ups, led under lighting, urd tcai, led headlights, methanol injection, 76mm tb, hood struts, dif breather mod, ratiotek trans kit, x-series gauges, true cool trans cooler, belt wrap mod, 2.8 pulley
    i still have my urd intake. it had a few odd hiccups at the weirdest moments. nothing really frequent though. if youre getting frequent code issues i wouldnt rule out other (triggers) for it being geeked. maybe a dirty maf sensor? oil or moisture on the filter? just ideas.

4. Nov 29, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    which intake? hell, youre not trying if you only bought one of something for these trucks!

12TRDTacoma[OP] and Athlaos like this.
  5. Nov 29, 2021 at 5:06 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    Filter is good. I swapped to the subi sensor, JustDSM tuned, still issues. I’m gonna swap back to the afe and stock sensor. Justin feels very confident I’ll be good to go

6. Nov 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    I had the afe pro dry s. I switched to the urd tcai. Now I’m going back to the afe. Initially when I had the urd, I hadn’t been tuned yet with hptuners

7. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:07 AM
    scootter82

scootter82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora, CO
    My AFE Momentum GT did not come with the needed isolation mounts, and I had to steal from my OEM that I luckily still had in storage. I did need to get the MAF calibrated by @JustDSM afterwards. It didn't read lean until I removed the SAIS and then it was up to 30% off in places.

12TRDTacoma[OP], SUMOTNK and Norton like this.
  8. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:40 AM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    I’m buying a used one off a member, that’s why they are there. Interesting to hear removing that stuff messed with the afr’s. I’ll be doing it in the near future too so I’m sure I’ll have to get retuned as well then.

scootter82[QUOTED] and Norton like this.
  9. Nov 30, 2021 at 4:29 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    i have the momentum too. you would think at that price point they could supply another 95 cents of mounting hardware.

10. Nov 30, 2021 at 4:36 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    random question- do our engines run best with the most unobstructed exhaust? or does a little backpressure help things?

11. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:17 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    I thought if boosted then unrestricted

12. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:18 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    Nothing but a single muffler isn’t going to work if you delete all 4 cats. The exhaust note will sound horrible. I don’t care what single muffler you got.

Regardless, deleting all 4 cats builds more power than keeping 2 or replacing 2 with high flow cats. The ypipe diameter is the main question. I think 2.25 inch ypipe gives little better low end and the 2.5 inch gives much better high end. I think the roots takes care of the low end enough. Also depends how you drive. 3 inch catback no matter what and the more equal length ypipe the better.

13. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    JuanitoBonito

JuanitoBonito Que Pasa

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    CHI-TOWN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Raptor
    For me, no cats and a single muffler sounded straight up embarrassing and horrible. I added 2 high flow resi’ s and it drastically improved it. I had the URD y-pipe and switched to a Jfr. I’m sure there is increase in flow due to size as well as performance. Butt dyno feels about the same though. An actual dyno I’m sure would show solid results. As far as low end. I really feel that I never lost any regardless of loosing the first 2 cats or going catless entirely.

Hawk373 likes this.
  14. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    North Berwick, ME
    Vehicle:
    2005 xrunner swb
    Magnuson supercharger, 2.6 quick change pulley, 76mm throttle body, Doug thorley long tubes, urd y pipe, wot box with 2 step, 170 thermostat, airaid intake, urd short throw, djm 3/4
    I have urd 3” cat back. And I switched the muffler to a flow master and I could feel a difference in power just with that. More just around town and easy throttle felt smoother. Very strange. It’s a chambered muffler instead of the Urd magnaflow muffler.

15. Nov 30, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    o0opackersfano0o

o0opackersfano0o Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    North Berwick, ME
    Vehicle:
    2005 xrunner swb
    Magnuson supercharger, 2.6 quick change pulley, 76mm throttle body, Doug thorley long tubes, urd y pipe, wot box with 2 step, 170 thermostat, airaid intake, urd short throw, djm 3/4
    I also tried a mbrp “muffler” which was just a big resonator. And I started it on the lift and scared 2 guys next to me. So that came right back off. Way to loud.

kinda wanna put it back on haha
    F1A444E5-1A33-4B64-802F-DFE1638C3A9E.jpg 01B71BF6-FB59-411D-872C-A5ED31DE1071.jpg

16. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:06 PM
    rheath08

rheath08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    converted AWD, RC62f swap, Supercharged
    Your engine needs some amount of back pressure to help with the scavenging. Tuning your exhaust is a monster of its own. Pressure, flow, sound waves, not just noise and making it as open as possible. Every vehicle setup will be different. The manufactures invest good money in exhaust system. Well, a lot. LOL. Look at BMWs, Mercedes, Maserati just to name a few. I don't see economy models doing it, but the high end models.
    Go look into some light reading of Thermal Dynamics.:boink:

17. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:47 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    so currently i have urd headers, roostfactor y-pipe #1 build, one cat, resinator, and magnaflow. im thinking going side pipes with only resinators. yes, i like loud pipes. just inquiring if im causing mayhem elsewhere.

18. Nov 30, 2021 at 7:49 PM
    White lightning boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Poulsbo
    Vehicle:
    15' DCSB OR S/C
    you know of the points im wondering could be problems. maybe a stylish x pipe like mustangs?

12TRDTacoma[OP] likes this.
  19. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:07 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma [OP] Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Why do you think I run an X pipe bud? :thumbsup:

There's just a better distribution of exhaust flow over two pipes instead of trying to force it down to a merge with the OE 2 to 1 setup IMO.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  20. Nov 30, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    Don’t you have boost actuated bypass exhaust valves as well?

Products Discussed in

To Top