1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road AC 6MT, Canada to U.S.

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by AdventureKid, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Sep 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM
    AdventureKid

AdventureKid [OP] Let's Go Places

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    17' DCSB TRD OR 4x4 6MT
    Camper Shell
    I know a few people have discussed interest in this, and I have done a little bit of research my self.

I don't have any experience with an import and currently right now $1.00 CAN converts to $.75 U.S, roughly a 25% Discount.

I know it wouldn't be cheap, but that conversion with our stronger dollar will help the pain of the importing costs.

I called some Toyota Dealers state side and they refused to work with me.

Canadians moving down to the States transfer vehicles, and I know it's nothing new....

Does anyone have any idea where I can successfully implement this deal. Some company that has the experience?

2016-toyota-tacoma-access-cab-trd-4x4-off-road-front-three-quarters-02.jpg

2. Sep 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM

8102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tacoma Limited
    VLEDS LED Low Beam Headlights, VLEDS High Beam LED Headlights, VLEDS LED Fog Lights, VLEDS LED Triton Turn Signals and Brake Lights, VLEDS LED Interior Lights, Reverse, Licence Plate Lights, Stainless Steel OEM Exhaust Tip, Leer XL Canopy, Bed Rug, Diablo Grill Logo, mattgecko Engine Compartment Lights and Bed Lights.
    I can't speak to moving a new vehicle from Canada to the US but I can tell you that you cannot bring a Brand New Toyota into Canada from the US because I understand that Toyota will not allow such sales to take place, they will void the warranty ect. Once you get to the Canadian border from the US you then have to pay all the taxes plus import duties so I would imagine that it would be the same in reverse if you were to bring a vehicle into the US from Canada.

I guess like anything else, if you have deep pockets anything is possible.

Another option for you would be to import a used vehicle to the US from Canada.

Contact a dealer in Canada that has the vehicle you are looking for that is a demo or qualifies as a "used" vehicle for some other reason and purchase it, since it is a "used" vehicle there are a whole bunch of things that do not apply and it is easier to import...

I have numerous friends that have imported used vehicles to Canada from the US and they say the process is very easy so I would assume it is the same in reverse.

There are probably guys on TW that can give you a far better idea of the process involved, I have never done it, just spoken with friends who have.

Good Luck.

3. Sep 30, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are a couple hurdles. First is purchasing the vehicle. Second is importing it into the US. Then registering it in the US.

Purchasing seems to be the most difficult part. Apparently there is some law that forbids Canadian new car dealers from selling a new vehicle to a non-Canadian resident. You can get a used vehicle with no issue but there is some bullshit with new cars. I've seen people say you have to get a trusted Canadian friend to purchase the vehicle then immediately sell it to you as a used car in a private transaction. There probably exists a business that will do that for a small fee. You might be able to get the dealer to pull some shenanigans and make the truck a demo model so it becomes used, although they probably won't.

I don't know the answer to the purchase part. I haven't gone through the regulations or actually called a Canadian dealer myself to confirm any of this but it sounds like something a bureaucracy would do. Don't expect the exchange rates to save much since the truck is built using US dollars in the first place. You'll also be paying Canadian sales tax. Someone else will need to figure out this part of the process. Once you get your hands on the vehicle, and proof of ownership, the import part is easy.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1kXQDDuMZM from the border patrol website
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1704
    Basically you just have to prove that the vehicle meets crash standards, emissions standards, and you are the owner. For the crash standards the door plate should read something like "This vehicle meets all federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS) blah blah for the model year indicated." Look at your current cars door plate and you'll see what it's supposed to say. If it says "Canadian motor vehicle safety standards (CMVSS)" instead of just federal then you need to get Toyota to write a letter stating that it also meets Federal (ie US) safety regs. I suspect the doorplate will just say it meets FMVSS since every other Tacoma config would be FMVSS and this one config would need a unique door plate. More info on getting FMVSS compliance from CMVSS here http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/VIG_Canada01192007.htm

To prove emissions compliance there should be an EPA sticker under the hood. Since the V6 is already US compliant that sticker should be there. As long as you have the door plate, and the EPA sticker then that's all you need. More on EPA compliance here http://www2.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/importing-canadian-vehicles

There is a DOT form to fill out that says you have the door plate, and an EPA form to fill out that says you have the sticker. The forms can be found on that help page linked above from the CBP. I think there's a 200 dollar import fee, I seem to remember reading that somewhere but I can't find it now. Since it's made in the USA there is no duty. At that point the port agent and you will fill out import paperwork and with that you can head to your state motor vehicle authority, after a long road trip, to register it. Your state might demand more taxes when you register, but there are no taxes I have found associated with the import process.

You'll have to get used to your instrument cluster having KM as the big number and MPH as the small.

A lot of this is for my own information as I also may end up doing this later on down the line. I can look up this post again and remember what I used to know.

CCATT-RN and AdventureKid[OP] like this.
  4. Sep 30, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    Following your progress. I want that very truck...

5. Sep 30, 2015 at 5:45 PM

8102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    VLEDS LED Low Beam Headlights, VLEDS High Beam LED Headlights, VLEDS LED Fog Lights, VLEDS LED Triton Turn Signals and Brake Lights, VLEDS LED Interior Lights, Reverse, Licence Plate Lights, Stainless Steel OEM Exhaust Tip, Leer XL Canopy, Bed Rug, Diablo Grill Logo, mattgecko Engine Compartment Lights and Bed Lights.
    I don't think it is a Canadian Law, I think it is more of a Policy that applies to both US and Canadian Residents, Canadians can't go down to the US and buy a new Toyota and bring it back here any easier than a US citizen can buy a new vehicle in Canada and import it to the US, and trust me there are models of the Tacoma that are only available in the US that guys here in Canada would love to get their hands on.

It may be a combination of Automobile Manufacturer Policy and NAFTA Regulations which govern trade between Canada and the US, but I am not an expert in international trade so I may be wrong...

6. Sep 30, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Not so free trade and all that

AdventureKid[OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 30, 2015 at 5:59 PM

8102 Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Exactly, and more on the way with the TPP which is being done right now.

Harper as already said the Automotive Manufacturing Sector in Ontario may not be very happy with whats coming...

8. Sep 30, 2015 at 6:19 PM
    tubesock

tubesock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah good call. I called it a law but it's probably actually a corporate policy or part of the dealer licensing agreement. This article quotes US customs as saying theres no law against Canadians spending their money in the US on a new car. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-car-buyers-blocked-from-cheaper-u-s-prices-1.2435299

I haven't looked into the purchase part of the process very closely yet. Another hiccup I forgot to mention is financing would be complicated and probably not worth trying. The buyer needs to have cash up front.

9. Sep 30, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    or the Quebec dairy farmers

10. Sep 30, 2015 at 6:27 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    lets just wire oz the money for purchase and have him drive them down individually. who cares about registration? leave it in his name.

11. Sep 30, 2015 at 6:52 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    Oz wouldn't do that

12. Sep 30, 2015 at 7:53 PM
    unclemat

unclemat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Baja
    I have never done this, but at one point I was discussing buying a Subaru Legacy GT wagon w/manual transmission that was still available in Canada through MY2008 (MY2005 only in the U.S.) it did not seem to be a problem - he was interested in selling it to me (I would have paid cash). Because of the cost at the time (Loonie was too strong) I ended up buying a used one in the U.S.

13. Sep 30, 2015 at 8:00 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :anonymous:

14. Oct 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    M16

M16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    someone needs to do this

15. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    That is my dream configuration. How is that model available in Canada but not US?

CCATT-RN and ericvega like this.
  16. Oct 9, 2015 at 5:27 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Just like how some models are available in the US that aren't available in Canada

17. Oct 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    specter208

specter208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/ 6MT TRUCK WHITE
    TOYOTA OEM: Cast Aluminum Running Boards Mud Guards Bed Mat All-Weather Floor Liner NIssan Frontier Sliding Bed Extender
    I wish this model was here in the U.S. Don't understand what Toyota were thinking.

CCATT-RN and shakerhood like this.
  18. Oct 13, 2015 at 8:39 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
  19. Oct 21, 2015 at 9:28 PM
    JohnTheLuck

JohnTheLuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montreal, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Only a few months before buying!
    Funny, I sat in one exactly like this yesterday in Montreal.

I would be ready to buy it and sell it to you if you buy a DCSB TRD OR A/T for me. I am in province of Quebec.

20. Oct 21, 2015 at 9:36 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    I was wondering when this would come up.

:popcorn:

Products Discussed in

To Top