1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road or TRD Sport?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ozko, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    ozko

ozko [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD O/R
    Hi everyone,
    I am a newbie here. I am going to buy 2010 DBL CAB Tacoma V6 4x4 TRD this week. However, I can not decide whether I need to buy TRD Off Road or TRD Sport. I like the smooth riding feeling with Sport, also the look of Sport (no chrome grill and no chrome rear bumper). However, TRD off road has engine skid plate, up/down hill control, off road suspension and tires. Later I might lift my truck and change tires for off road.

Would it be better to buy TRD off road or TRD sport?
    Does up/down hill control really help?

2. Mar 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    For me it was easy: the Off Road has a factory locker, the sport does not. You can put a locker on anything but I liked the warranty factor. Plus I've always had a locker on my rigs and there was no going back; i use it alot on trails and consider it an absolute necessity.

As for the downhill control, I used it once so far, it worked great but it's not a necessity. I actually forgot about it until now (ha) but it does work wonderfully, I just have a hard time trusting a computer when going down the gnarly.

As for the OR skidplate, it ain't all that. It's pretty weak compared to aftermarket ones BUT it has saved my ass more than once and does provide adequate protection for most stuff; get one either way.

And since you are now a member on this forum I'll say there is a real good chance you'll get a lift and tires soon so don't stress on the suspension differences too much.

I vote for the OR, but the Sport is nice too. depends on your needs.

3. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:55 PM
    ozko

ozko [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD O/R
    Right now, I won't do real offroading but because of TW bug I might try real offroading later. Thank you for your answer. :)

4. Mar 21, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    ozko

ozko [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD O/R
    Thank you for your answer. What kind of aftermarket skid plate do you use? Also When you lift truck and change your tires, is it going to lose the cruse feeling of Sport suspension?

5. Mar 22, 2010 at 12:31 AM
    itsjustaliftedXR

itsjustaliftedXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach
    Vehicle:
    '11 4Runner Trail
    its sounds like the difference in the feel of the two trucks, sport vs OR is really important so my question is have you driven both of them? if not, make sure to take them both out on the freeway and make sure to take some tight turns.

my dad had an 06 tacoma OR prerunner up until about a month ago. i have an 07 sport prerunner. i probably got to put about 2000 miles on his truck so here is my comparison of the two.

the OR rides more like a truck to me, very stiff in comparison to my sport and noticeably rougher on the street. it may have something to do with the different tires bc the sport came with really soft bridgestones vs. the wanna-be all terrains on the OR.

i used to drive through a mountain pass about once a month. there were tons of tight turns and two big turns that i used to LOVE burning through. a lot of cars couldn't keep up. :D anyway, i used to see how fast i could take the turns and still feel safe and found it was at about 65 in my sport. for some reason, i needed to use my dad's truck and picked it up the next time i visited him. i went through the same mountain pass and when i looked down at my speedometer, i was going way slower than i thought i was. and on my two favorite turns, i was going 55 and felt severe body roll. overall, the OR felt way more cumbersome and was NOT sticking through any of the curves. i noticed the body roll way more than in my truck. some of it has to do with the different tires, my bridgestones used to stick pretty nicely once warmed up, but were terrible on wet pavement/snow. so the only way to tell which one you like is to drive them. i live in a city and love to haul ass through turns, but love sitting up high. so the decision was easy for me.

sorry for the novel, but since i've had pretty good experience with both, there's my $.02.

6. Mar 22, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Oh I still use the original OEM skidplate, it's good enough for me. Just saying that there are aftermarket ones if you decide to go the Sport route.

I have no idea what the Sport suspension feels like, but it wil feel different (not necessarily worse) with a lift.

7. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM
    cjh

cjh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 doublecab
    If you want a long bed you have to get the sport. I wanted the long bed so I had no choice. My 01 had a locker and I can count the number of times I used it on one hand. Nice feature, but not a deciding factor for me. I keep my truck mostly on the road. I have bikes and atv's for the dirty work.

8. Mar 22, 2010 at 3:48 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Get the SPORT and add an ARB locker when you're ready for one :D
    Best of both worlds.

9. Mar 22, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    If you plan on doing alot of hardcore offroading then get the or. If not then get the sport. The sporty's are still quite capable offroad. Like janster said you can always add a locker to the sport if you decide later that you want to go wheelin. Ps www.budbuilt.com for skid plates!

10. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 (read the build)
    I'd say anymore the choice is between the SR5, PreRunner, or OR models.

In previous years, the limited slip was special to the Sport model, but has become standard. Therefore, the only thing the sport gets you is the rims, badge, and hood scoop. Not enough for me.

So,

SR5 for saving cash, or if you want the least-expensive 4x4.
    PreRunner if 4x4 is not necessary and you'd rather have a locking rear
    TRD OR if you want 4x4 with locking rear.

Note that I'm not sure which models begin giving you TRAC/ATRAC controls or VSC.

11. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The 4WD TRD OFF ROAD has A-TRAC (as well as TRAC and VSC).

12. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    ozko

ozko [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD O/R
    Woooooooow, I really appreciate all of you helping me choose right model. So many information so many things to learn. Thanks guys/gals ~~

13. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I vote for the cheapest model you can get and then use the dough you save to upgrade aftermarket.
    If I bought another truck-That's how I'd work it out.

14. Mar 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I knew that, but wasn't sure if any other package offered it.

15. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Nope... If you want A-TRAC for go everywhere low range 4WD cliff climbing, etc. (and hydraulic brake booster enhanced TRAC in H4)... then TRD OFF ROAD Package is the way to go... No after market purchases for traction needed!

16. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Being able to get the longbox was a deal breaker for me , not sure if it matters for you , or whether you haul tools or materials ,

Just a consideration ,

OZ

17. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes, I do... and the '05 & '10 5 ft. bed is deeper and wider than the '01 6 ft. bed on my first Tacoma... I could get all my materials and tools into the 5 ft. bed, no problem... I didn't need the extender I had considered getting. I needed the double cab more than I needed the extra foot in the bed... and all three of my Tacomas fit in my small garage. (one truck at a time)

18. Mar 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I ended up with both , Trd Sport Doublecab longbox 4x4 ,

No garage consideration for me though , poor thing sits outside ,

OZ

19. Mar 22, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    to the OP,

i was in the EXACT same boat as you a few weeks ago. I figured, what the hell I can just get a BASE (with black bumpers, grille, fender flares) double cab 4x4 and just put my own lift on it and upgrade stereo. when I was getting quotes for this truck it was going to be 26k BEFORE taxes, title, license and shit.

in my opinion why would i want to upgrade to the SR5 trims when all it really gives me is a better stereo and color keyed flares and shit? especially when it was close to 27k or something.

So i said to myself... I might as well just spend the extra money and get the truck fully loaded with everything in it for a few grand more. best quote i got for the TRD off road double cab 4x4 short bed was 28,9 before ttl. but i am positive toyota wont recover from all this bad press anytimr soon and will be forced lower prices to move inventory.

So from someone who was trying to figure what was worth what not too long ago...I'd go with the off road.

20. Mar 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Price is hard to compare, it fluctuates between areas. I think I paid 27,400 which is below invoice for my area (first dealership wanted over 31), which may be really high for other areas.

One of the things the higher packages give you is better seats. I haven't sat in a base model, but the ones I have are the best I've sat in, other than an Infinity Q45 (note I haven't been in many high-end vehicles). They are sport seats that have a bit of side cushion that wraps you and feels great. I practically have to fight people off to keep them from stealing them. ;)

But yes, if I had the know-how and time for it, I would probably have a more capable, cheaper truck by buying base/SR5 and adding aftermarket components.

To Top