1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road or TRD Sport?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ozko, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mar 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I have a base model with an open differential and I've wheeled it plenty of times. I think either truck you choose you will be happy with. and since you are getting a 4x4 you will be fine. If you like the looks of the sport then get it.

2. Mar 23, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    bryandb

bryandb Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    MO Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner V6
    Go with the base model unless you want Atrac and clutch start cancel. The Billsteins are sweet but they will go soon. I have a 10 AC Offroad, the skids are only good for packing snow under the front of the truck, picking the front tires off the ground so atrac does nothing. The locker can only be used in 4L, must be a saftey thing so you cant do 80mph donies down the interstate in snow? The nice painted bumper is coming off soon for something a bit more useful. If you re going to get wheels why buy the nice ones just to take them off? The camera and stereo are nice but when the tailgate goes so does the camera. THE TRACTION CONTROL AND STABILITY CONTROL, in my opinion, are only there to P S ME OFF. You can turn it off but once its off youre open in the rear.

I wish I would have bought the base instead of the Offroad, $4000 would have got me bumpers, arb or eaton e locker that I can use in whatever T/C range I want. If you are keeping it stock or not sure I say go with the Sport. Atrac is only good for rocks and hills, which is the only reason to get the Offroad. If I could go back I would have bought the Reg cab 4x4.

3. Mar 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi Brian... hope you don't mind, but I have some counter-comments on your post... But, welcome to TW !!

A-TRAC also works in snow drifts and deep sand (probably mud, too... I just haven't tried it there yet...) ...if you get bogged down in either by not using A-TRAC in the beginning! Isthatahemi calls A-TRAC "pseudo-lockers"... because it is like having lockers front and rear with intelligence... Active Four Wheel Drive will be something more and more vehicles will have someday...

As for rear lockers and donies? That doesn't compute... you want open differentials to do donuts, not a locker rear which makes you tend to drive straight. Before A-TRAC my previous Tacomas used the rear locker specifiacally for steep, rocky hill climbs that normal 4WD open differentials couldn't make safely.

4. Mar 23, 2010 at 6:05 PM
    bryandb

bryandb Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    MO Ozarks
    Vehicle:
    13 PreRunner V6
    Yes and no. Sometimes you really need to get the tires spinning to dig down to dirt. Example, a foot of powder packs down to a few inches of slick snow, or if youre using chains a lil spinnin is good. As for the donies a locker works better but you end up with ovals instead of circles, get some speed-go sideways-repeat while keepin em spinnin. If you drive locked in rwd on really slick stuff the rear tends to break loose to the side faster than if you were open. I guess I will see if this atrac works in snow next winter when Im up a few more inches. I was in PA around the 25feb-8mar and the front skid just rode on top of the snow. There is a video on here showing that atrac isnt the best in snow, he has to use 4h to get up the hill.

The point is that I think the offroad isnt worth the extra cash, and the stability control is nothing but a punch in the face for spending the extra money.

5. Mar 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Okay, I guess you will find out just how much more you do get with the Off Road TRD vs. the Sport TRD... You can turn off any of the traction choices (see my signature?) afterall...

A-TRAC allows both tires on the same axle to spin together in sand or snow... It won't allow just one tire per axle to spin if the other tire has traction, however... and that is what will keep you moving/ prevent you from bogging down. See the video clips of A-TRAC working (click on the link below my signature).

6. Mar 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    ozko

ozko [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ethan
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 DBL CAB 4x4 TRD O/R
    Woow, I am really learning alot. More different opinions much harder to choose!!!....But thank you all of you helping me think and consider deeply.

Products Discussed in

To Top