1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Off Road Package

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dranos, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Oct 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    x3!!! keep looking man.......you'll find another, and maybe a better deal. you will want the locker if you want the trd offroad. the locker is definitely worth it.

2. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:13 AM
    Dranos

Dranos [OP] Member

Member:
    I went to look t the truck yesterday and must say it was love at first sight. All things being well, I should be driving the truck next week.
    I could not see any visible faults on the truck. The owner said it had a fender bender while in the US and that the fender was replaced. I did notice evidence of the impact in the engine bay on the passenger side. It seemed minor and the replacement Fender is lined up perfectly.
    The truck drove very comfortable and looks brand new!

My main concern is that the A/C was not blowing cold. It was slightly cooler on the drivers side. We tried all the settings and it did not get any cooler. What could be the cause of this and how can I check to ensure that this isn't a serious fault?

The truck has done just over 43,000 miles, would' the A/C need servicing by now?

3. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:34 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Ok good that you went and put some eyes on, but getting past the emotional I love the truck, I have a question.
    Are you going to take this to a reputable shop prior to buying?
    No offense, I mean the person could be legit, but red flags for me would be saying its TRD when its not, the fender bender, and no cold A/C while in Jamaica. Looks won't matter when its eating your wallet or leaving you stranded. I would most definitely spend a $100 to get a professional diagnosis. Get it up on a lift & Hope it works out for ya.

4. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:42 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

x2......something isn't right with this guy. Get a professional opinion for a purchase this big.

5. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:54 AM
    Dranos

Dranos [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah, I think I'm going to slow the process a bit and get it looked at. He is an older man and does not seem to be aware of details. He does not even know what a TRD sport or off road model really is.
    To him its just a great truck and so details and questions seem to annoy him especially since he doesn't seem technically inclined.
    I'll take your advice and have a professional look at it.
    Can anyone think of any reason why the A/C was blowing room temperature air even when set to cold?

6. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:59 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    Remember that the truck has been worked on as far as the suspension as well. If you look at the original post, it says that the owner "upgraded the suspension to the TRD" which, at that point, is pointless to look for TRD decals or seats, because it was NOT a TRD truck originally. This also means that you don't have a locking rear differential, which is the main reason, IMO, to get a TRD package. He's just put some better shocks on it.

Definitely take your time.

As for the A/C blowing room temperature, it might just need a charge, but if there's a leak, it won't last long.. but it could be a number of problems... the compressor? A leak? A switch / relay gone bad? See what your local pro says.....

7. Oct 29, 2008 at 6:29 AM
    Dranos

Dranos [OP] Member

Member:
    I had a professional look through the truck yesterday. He said that there were some minor issues but nothing major.

Apparently the fender bender broke and cracked some of the A/C tubing. The repair done in the States was crappy and cosmetic with a poor welding attempt. He recommends that I just buy the tubes that are damaged and fit them.

He also commented on the poor workmanship done to conceal the impact in the engine bay. He said any self respecting body man would have polished the job better since it is not severe. He said a day or two spent on it could erase any evidence of an impact.

He also did a computer scan and found a failure on one impact sensor on the side that got hit. He was not sure how important that single sensor was.

His conclusion was that all the issues could be resolved inexpensively. With that knowledge I plan to go ahead with the purchase.

What do you guys think? I will need some advice and directions for where I can buy the A/C tubing. I also think I may just replace the poorly fixed brackets and panels.

Believe it or not, at that price he is selling his for US $5,300 less than the other car sales men on the island. 90% of these trucks are all being brought here damaged.

Products Discussed in

To Top