1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport Package, or TRD Off Road Package?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by FloopyPickles, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Feb 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

The only difference is the coils

2. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I bought a 4x4 Sport, and I love it. I can't stand the chrome on trucks, so I bought the sport purely for the cosmetics. And there is so much win with the skewp, it adds like 10 HPs! Congrats on your assignment to Nellis, I wouldn't mind getting stationed out there.

3. Feb 8, 2014 at 6:14 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Finally used my ATRAC and locker today, to get up a hill climb. Probably would have got up it with just TRAC if I had Mud Terrain tires, but I dont. Pretty cool feature.

4. Jun 14, 2014 at 8:45 PM
    Brad and his dog

Brad and his dog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Boulder County, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Short bed TRD Offroad
    When I was buying mine ('14 DCSB Offroad), I asked about the DCLB Off Road and the dealer said that he could order one, but that delivery time was uncertain. My buddy ordered a DCLB Sport 9 weeks ago and hasn't he still taken delivery on it yet. If you want it near when you buy it, and you plan on lifting anyway, you may as well go with the sport. That said, I love my truck and haven't second-guessed my decision once.

5. Jun 14, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

No such thing as a DCLB Offroad

6. Jun 16, 2014 at 2:01 PM
    Chadr7858

Chadr7858 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SHIT BOX
    All the mods; all the problems
    I was going to buy one from the dealer trd off road dclb with a 6 speed but didn't get the right financing and trade in values. So yes they can order them

7. Jun 16, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

No , actually they can't

No such thing as a DCLB Offroad and no such thing as a 6 speed manual in the DCLB

8. Aug 1, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    Had the SR5 Off-Road, never needed the locker.

But I realized my use for 4WD was getting in and out of places to hike. That's a different purpose than rock-crawling. My 2008 has the mechanical LSD which is not as specialized as a locking differential. But it's really not as helpless as an open differential either, even though people on TW make it sound like it is. It's actually better on pavement in wet traction at speeds where a locker can't be used anyway.

I also quickly discovered I needed a DC, Access Cab was not going to get the job done.

When I saw the sport I did like it's look better, but I wasn't sure why. The skewp kinda gets in the way when on a trail. (Tempted to do the light bar scoop mod.)

The lack of chrome is a plus.

I kinda like the stock rims, too. I figure I can replace them if they get all scratched up. Not ready to jump on the black-rims bandwagon yet.

And the tow package was an unexpected plus on the used Tacoma I found. Got to use it recently to tow a generator and light standard to a location it was needed. That was handy.

I kinda wish I had the DCLB, but have never "needed" it. On the other hand I have needed to maneuver on trails and pavement in places where I was glad the turning radius wasn't any bigger.

In any case, I've safely gotten to places where the only other people around are Jeeps, and at that altitude, they've always been respectful.

9. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:40 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Honestly the only reason I bought the OR is because I liked the tires and I hated the skewp. But having no chrome would be nice, chrome is stupid. I have used the locker once when I had to pull my boat out of a nasty boat launch. I'm sure I would have crawled out just fine but I wanted to use it.

10. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    boramkiv

boramkiv On-Roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Trying to leave the asphalt
    Chesapeake VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    '14 DCSB sport for me. HATE chrome and of course the hood skewp is tacky but not too bad sitting on a black truck. 6MT w/ tow package...perfect perfect.
    I can't imagine going anywhere where I would need the rear locker, or even towing something in a situation where I would need it.

I've had it a few weeks now and already put some minor mods...K&N intake is LOUD, may have to rethink that.
    Either way it's my second truck, but way better than the first.
    It's not too long (can fit in the garage although only just) and it's the double cab (plenty of room for my kid).

Yes, there's no OR DCLB and no 6MT DCLB...those crossed my mind when looking, as I HAD to have the 6MT with NO chrome, I can live with a shorter bed.

11. Aug 1, 2014 at 5:58 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    This topic will stop being debated when Hamas and Isreal are allies!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  12. Aug 1, 2014 at 6:20 AM
    RogueTRD

RogueTRD Learn to swim...

Member:
    First Name:
    Cade
    So. Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged '14 Pyrite Mica DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    Stacked spacer lift, 22x12 wheels with stretched 33's, tow mirrors, bull nuts.
    I got an Offroad for the locker and A-trac. I do like the color matched pieces on the Sport, but I am not a fan of the faux-skewp. I'll be buying a color matched grille and a plate rear bumper so the chrome will be gone soon anyhow. It's apples to oranges really. About the only Tacoma model I wouldn't own would be a Limited model or a Prerunner.

13. Aug 1, 2014 at 6:32 AM
    whiskeytacos

whiskeytacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    New York
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB Off Road MGM
    OME 886 springs on 90000 struts Total Chaos UCA OME Dakar + AAL energy suspension steering rack and sway bar bushings SCS SR8 wheels Cooper ST Maxx 285/85r16 Pelfreybilt IFS skid plate Pelfreybilt hidden winch mount broken ass winch Softopper All Pro Off Road OTT pack rack
    I went with the OR package. Hate the chrome but I would have been upset with a non-functioning skewp. On top of other mods I want to do, I personally can't justify the cost of adding a locker to a Sport.

Also my sister just retired from Nellis. Best of luck on your transition back state side.

14. Aug 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    I had a 2005 PreRunner Off Road quite a few years ago.

I recently got a 2014 4x4 Off Road.

Upon seeing the capabilities of what just 4H/4L can do, I find myself wishing now that I gave the Sport a try this time around.

I got the Off Road mainly for the ATRAC system; otherwise I do prefer the looks of the Sport, save for the faux hood scoop.

15. Aug 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    jreece20

jreece20 Operation Velvet Hammer

Member:
    First Name:
    Reece
    North Ga Mountains
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    885X Coils, Bilstein 5100s, Icon add a leafs, 285 BFGs, SPC Ucas
    First off let me just say for the member above who posted above about military commimitments you should be ashamed and banned. This man is fighting for your freedom and that is your response? I am ashamed and embarrassed to be associated with you. You should apologize and go out of your way to do anything for people like him. Remember we owe them he owes us nothing. You should crawl in a hole and die.

16. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    geedub55

geedub55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    in the woods near Seattle
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD Sport 4wd
    Would like to hear about the ride. Is the OR less comfortable for long hiway trips? Which has the softest ride, OR S or base?

Lots of us spend 95% of our truck time on pavement, and the ride matters more as we age.

17. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    Get the sport has a stronger axle.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  18. Apr 5, 2015 at 10:41 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Sport for show, Off-road for the pro.

19. Apr 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    Scrat

Scrat GRYLNG

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    V6 SR5 '15
    ARE CX Topper, Yakima rails with various accessories, Bilstein 5100, Icon RXT, OME 886 coils, Firestone Ride-Rite, 265/75/16 KO2, Mobtown Offroad Rear Bumper., Diode Dynamic map and dome lights, headlight harness, Cali-raised bed stiffeners, Cali Raised accessory bed mount, Cobra 75wx st, Leixen VV898e, Safari Snorkel, SOS Sliders, CBI Full skids pack, and more coming!
    This is what I should have done. But I bought the Off Road package. I drove both sport and off road, not a big difference. Pretty much wheels and locking differential.

20. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:33 PM
    TacoBrah

TacoBrah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Icon stage 1, 255/85/16 KM2
    Doubt anyone would notice the difference between sport and offroad.

Scrat likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top