1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport v. Frontier NISMO

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hwax, May 15, 2008.

1. May 16, 2008 at 5:38 AM
    m_taker1

m_taker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Bug deflecter, vent shades, Airaid Intake, Pop 'n lock, replaced chrome bumper with black bumper, replaced chrome grille surround with a black grille surround, blacked out logo in the front, debadged, center console lock, grom audio mp3/ipod,weathertech digital liners
    I couldn't decide on white or black so i went with silver!!! haha. black is sweet but white with black accessories looks great!

2. May 16, 2008 at 5:49 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    on consumer reports . com the frontier and tacoma are in tight runnings for most reliable vehicles in their class. the frontier has a little bit higher rating than the tacoma though. these ratings are based on how often they have to go into the shop. i had the same problem chosing when i was shopping for a new truck. thing i like about the tacoma is the body looks alot better than the frontier (i think) thing i liked about the frontier was the more HP and its cheaper. its a tough choice. one things for sure, either truck you pick you are going to have a great truck. hope this helps. good luck in your pick

3. May 16, 2008 at 8:43 AM
    TRDfly

TRDfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Traverse City, MI
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 DC, TRD off-road....it's the bomb!!
    DRL, Black Headlight mod, H.I.D's, Wet Ass Seatcovers, White instrument cluster, Illuminated 4x4 switch.
    I had the same debate a year ago. I tried to set aside all the emotional stuff and look at it as a pure numbers game since for the most part they are similar in ALOT of areas but FAR apart in others. Now, I agree with everybody above but for me a few things stood out.

NISSAN: Pluses,

1.The NISSAN has more feathers for the price , more options available by themselves verses bundled together. This makes it less expensive depending on the features you want.

2. Leather Seats and if I'm not mistaken, heated seats too.

3. Prices was something that the dealers would work with a bit better.

NISSAN Negatives:

1. The Rear leg room on the Double Cab.

2. Gas milage on par with a V8......yes I know it has more HP (Referring to the V6 model)

3. Much worse of a plastic feel on the interior then Toyota.

4. Feels bulky

Overall the TACOMA had a better look and feel to it!!!

For me, taken into account all these things I was sure i wanted the NISSAN with the NISMO package. I looked at these two trucks, drove both, debated the pluses and minuses for almost two months (I was selling a car myself to buy this truck) and in the end my Dad sealed the deal. On the Double Cab, the rear leg room is much better on the Tacoma then the NISSAN. I had my Dad sit in the back of both them (While on a test Drive) then had him rate the ride and feel. To me my Dad's opinion was like the word of god. He stated it was easier to get in, felt more solid, had a much better ride and was quieter. It was an eye opener because my friends would be riding with me and I never thought about how it would feel to them....hmmm??

Besides all these things I asked friends and coworkers which they would pick and it was a landslide------>TACOMA!!!!!! Everybody had a great Toyota story....."I had a Toyota Truck that we about destroyed and"...... "My buddy had a Tacoma it had 250K and"........ "The NISSAN is a great truck but the Toyota will last you forever!"........... It was one story after another, all stories people were passionate about sharing!!! I'm sure NISSAN makes a good truck but.......

I have an 07 Silver Double Cab TRD Off-road and I LOVE IT!!!!!!! The truck is great and I can't help but feel like I'll have it forever (aside from any act of god or bad driver!)! :D

Good luck with your choice!!!

4. May 16, 2008 at 10:50 AM
    erock

erock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR Tint Window, Magna Flow 2.5 Catback, TRD CAI, 3" Revtek and TSB, 33" Toyo MTs
    Cig Lighter Will tackle the Rear Locker Always On soon
    Since we're in "story tell" mode I'll throw in my 2 bits. I teach at a junior high school and I bought my silver offroad access cab in 06. I kid you not, by the end of the next year there were 2 other silver taco's and a maroon regular cab. You tell me teacher's don't pick up on the details...It did kinda bite cause' I wanted to be the only one, but I also took it as a compliment. So, I just went and got it lifted, 33" tires, tint all around, CAI and exhust. It stands out just fine in the teacher's lot now. :) I love my taco.

5. May 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    hail-bop Command

hail-bop Command Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I Don't Crawl I Haul A$$!
    I had 2 hard body Nissans and they were good trucks:D (Nothing Like A Tacoma) BTW I grew up in the Mojave Desert. So anyways the time came to buy a new truck so I decided I wanted a Tacoma. In 2002 I bought a little 4 banger 2001 tacoma with 30K miles on it for 11K out the door. I put that truck through atleast 6000 miles of some rough desert ridding, jumping and even driving through flooded streets (when it rains we get flash floods). This was because I used to do a paper route in a city in the middle of nowhere that put me and my truck to the limit. After my paper route contract was up I moved to Phoneix Arizona to go to college. While over there I drove home at least 3 times a month (700 miles round trip). I also had 2 room mates out in AZ with some riced out cars and I beat both of them on numerous occassions,:) One of them had a ford focus and the other a nissan 200sx. After school was over I moved back to the Mojave Desert and got a job in Hollywood Ca and I drove there every day for about a year! I now live in Huntingtion beach and I drive to Burbank Ca (120 Mile Round Trip) in the same truck and I'm at a little over 200K on the odometer and it still runs perfect. So in in January of 2008 it was time to get another truck and the choice to me was a no brainer. So I know have 2 Tacos and they are great trucks.. I have some serious history and fond memories in my first Tacoma and I plan on making more in my new truck! (Sorry bout the long winded story ;))

6. May 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    +1 .. that's what I have.

7. May 16, 2008 at 11:50 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    My cousin has an 08 frontier pretty much the same setup as my truck, its nice i drove it. I just like the Taco's better and besides if I got a Nissan who is going to stay here and bust ND'd balls. :D

8. May 16, 2008 at 11:57 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Is it too late? I think that I'd go for the frontier.

9. May 16, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    OK.... how can this guy do all the things he do..... ridgeline avatar, hotdog costume, and now a "frontier lover".... and still be a mod in this forum, i dont get it, whats happening here bob....:D

10. May 16, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    :eek: hmm what was it that Nd called him a few threads ago ______ lol:cool:

11. May 16, 2008 at 1:37 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Wait until the 09 refresher. Maybe a mini Tundra look? Or the Bug-eyed look of the 4Runner with the hids?

12. May 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    oooh, ooooh, pick me!

13. May 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Agreed. :p

14. May 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    no way! you are weak.

15. May 16, 2008 at 2:19 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Geez I entered this thread late! :D

16. May 19, 2008 at 10:38 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i say so many things i have a hard time remembering which ones you're talking about. what did i say?

17. May 19, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    CDonC

CDonC Active Member

Member:
    PDX (I actually live in the airport)
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully '09 owner
    My sister has a 2000 Frontier, and I gotta say that that is a nice truck. She bought it used with about 25k miles on it and she's never had a problem with it. I test drove a new NISMO and it didn't feel as maneuverable as the Tacoma I tested, but still a great truck.

18. May 20, 2008 at 1:21 PM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    something along the lines of "Fool".......FTW just get the taco and be happy!

19. May 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    oh yeah.... he is

20. May 31, 2008 at 8:05 AM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    Hey roxspin72 nice truck! What side steps are those? Brand? They look great on the truck. Where can I get a pair for my access cab?

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top