1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport vs TRD Off Road

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toyotatacomaTRD, Sep 30, 2010.

?

TRD Off Road vs. TRD Sport

Poll closed Nov 29, 2010.
  1. TRD Off Road

363 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. TRD Sport

293 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    If money were no option get the Sport then put in an ARB locker - better than stock & you get the color matched bumpers,mirrors & handles. Not a fan of chrome at all on bikes or trucks.

2. Oct 3, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD [OP] Senior Member

Member:
    I like the color matched items on the Sport, with the exception of the bumper. I think it looks really cheap. It reminds me of the Honda Ridgeline bumper (they look hideous).

3. Oct 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    th3duke

th3duke Active Member

Member:
    I purchased the sport because the off road doesn't come with a 6' box in the double cab...

4. Oct 3, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    th3duke

th3duke Active Member

Member:
    X2

5. Oct 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    Kind of a goofy question - "if money was no object" - the cost difference between a TRD Sport and a TRD OR is pretty minimal. If you are going to spend close to 30 G's on a truck wouldn't you just get the one that would suit your purposes the best? I laugh when some of the OR guys start the "Sport is for show - the OR for go" stuff. Not everyone who buys these trucks intends to take them out and purposely see what kind of crazy shit they can get them stuck in. Hey, not that there is anything wrong with that - I'm sure it is a blast. But if you don't intend to purposely drive the thing over boulders or through mud pits - there is not a whole lot of need for downhill assist, locking diff, etc... I'm pretty sure my 4x4 dbl cab sport will get me out of anything I need it to - admitting right now I'm not going to be purposely looking for something to get stuck in. But any mud, snow, gravel, sand, etc... I encounter through normal use of my truck - I'm pretty sure I'm in good shape. But I would agree with those that say if you are going to be off-roading - the TRD OR is the better choice. I drove both and liked the way the Sport rode on the pavement better. The hood scoop has never blocked my vision or been a problem due to glare. I do think the TRD Sports look cooler.

6. Oct 3, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Well said!

7. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    x2 , my feelings exactly .

8. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    No shit - its like what... $400 bucks more for a TRD OR instead of a Sport. Like we are going to shell out nearly $30K and not understand what that extra $400 would get us? Oh my God - how could I not get the e-locker... Uuh, cause I don't need it - so for $400 less I can get a truck that I think looks better, has larger/better tires for street use (where I am going to drive it 98% of the time), and has a suspension that I liked a little better driving on pavement. AND my 4x4 Sport will get me out of any shit I manage to get myself into - even without the locker - for as long as I drive this thing. I'm so stupid - what was I thinking?

9. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    supataco

supataco Shaq-enzy Falls

Member:
    First Name:
    Ichiro
    Oahu - Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010-SSM-AC-TRDSport-PreRunner
    -17" 4Runner Trail Wheels (265/70/17) -OEM Tube Steps -Tailgate Security Clamps -Trimmed Mudflaps -Bed Bar -Kobalt Box -Bed Mat -Toyota Mats
    Werd

10. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I bought my truck because I limped an old F150 down to the dealership, traded it in, and found a low mileage, '06, 4x4, dour door tacoma on the lot. I prefer the color matched body over the OR. I like the scooped hood, and evidently a lot of people here do to, because I've been asked several times to trade hoods.

I just wish my sport could go off road. Everyone here keeps telling me it's useless offroad.

I mean, look at the kinds of trails I'm relegated to in my sport...

[​IMG]

The only option that I want from the OR is the rear locker. Going to handle that with front and rear ARB's soon.

11. Oct 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah - be carefull Mxpatriot - we can't have you go gettin stuck and having some dude in an OR have to come pull you out. (BTW - badass looking truck.)

12. Oct 3, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    ShaLor

ShaLor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Burbank, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Doublecab TRD Off Road
    Custom mud flap removal from rock on trail :), Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Cobra 75 wx st CB install, 19 more D-Rings in the bed, Satoshi Grill, Fog Lamp on any time mod. Relentless Fab CB antenna hood mount, LED bed lights, Demello Hybrid Sliders, Undercover Tonneau Cover, Lighted 4x4 switch
    Wow, what a misrepresentation on that Salesmans part.

13. Oct 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yeah you have to stoop to ride with Jeeps.

:p

14. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I wanted a double cab long bed. Couldn't get that in Canada in the OR package

15. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Not available here in the lower 48 either. Being a foot loger, Toyota must think it becomes too big for 'real' off roading ability...

What we do have down here that you guys do not (I believe) is the Double Cab/ Std. (short) Bed in the Off Road TRD package. You have only a regular cab and an Access cab Off Road.

16. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Nope, just access cab OR.

17. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i went with the off road because i wanted the locker. I do prefer the look with the color matched mirror, grill, door handes and the hood scoop though.

18. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I went with a Sport 4x4 to solve all of the above compromises. You get the looks of the Sport with even better off-road performance than just the locker of the OR.

19. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    Ryeguy

Ryeguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    43* North
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off Road 4X4 Blackout
    OEM Bed Extension, Bed Mat, Lomax Bed Cover, Auto lock tailgate (OEM)
    I voted Sport because while new, I'm going to drive this truck 99% of the time on road. I have no delusions that I'll be taking my brand new truck off road - big thumbs up to those that do, but for me, I'll buy a beater.

I'd bet that many trucks with an "off road" factory option never go off road in their lives. At least I "use" the options I paid for (Sport seats, nicer (IMO) paint options, etc).

I don't think one is option is better than the other - I was just honest with myself and picked the option that was most suited to how I will use the truck for the next 5+ years.

20. Oct 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc

Please explain to me how you get "even better off road performance" with the sport. It's the same exact truck suspension wise, clearance wise etc. The only difference is the Off road is better for guess what, off road. This is because it has a rear locker for when you need it lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top