1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD sport without RR differential

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2010pyrite, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:33 PM
    2010pyrite

2010pyrite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    thanks for the details guys

2. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    AZM9

AZM9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD Sport
    ARE tonneau cover, Redline hood struts, Leaf TSB, and Trans TSB, Satoshi grille.
    You have a 4x4. chances are you are going to run circles around the big trucks in the muck anyway. You have enough to be dangerous as they say. I wish now I would have gotten a 4X4 but I am happy pretty much on my Prerunner.

3. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    [​IMG] nice bro congratz

4. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:37 PM
    2010pyrite

2010pyrite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    thanks guys

5. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    Actually you don't have a real LSD its an auto LSD which is an open diff that applies the brakes to simulate a LSD. Which is why 05-08's rule!!

6. Apr 7, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Look up one post ,

OZ

7. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:01 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    hardie haarrhhhh harghhhgg

8. Apr 7, 2010 at 1:21 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    Get an air locker from ARB I hear good things about them, plus u get a free on board air compressor

9. Apr 7, 2010 at 2:55 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah, but we can have the autoLSD AND put in a locker. essentially making it an OR, but w/ a kickass locker....:D

10. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    The sticker can be a little misleading. On my 09 Prerunner TRD Offroad, the sticker listed "Limited Slip Differential" in the standard features and OR locker under the options. So even though I wanted a Sport with the LSD, I knew I was getting a locker.

I used it for the first time this past winter when we had a "big" snow storm in NC (like 6" :rolleyes:) and they didn't plow the roads for days in my part of the county. I was sliding all over the place until I turned the locker on, then I was in good shape. Not as sure-footed as my 4x4 '02 was, but good enough.

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not top kick man on the ground but ...
    Your truck is 2010 right ???
    If yes then you have Auto-LSD not a LSD. Difference is that your differential is open and truck simulates LSD with brakes.
    You only have mechanical LSD if your rear differential has the sticker that says LSD oil only...
    Sorry

EDIT: I am slow poster... Got beaten to it

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:32 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I have yet to understand how people purchase vehicles without knowing the options on them.

How does this happen like 1x/week?

13. Apr 7, 2010 at 4:44 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Its called life... I think this whole thing with auto-lsd is Toyota's false advertisement. It should be called something else not to deceive people.. IMHO

14. Apr 7, 2010 at 5:08 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    with the 09 OR, you have the autoLSD and the e-locker. it is the same autoLSD that the sports and all other models of 09+ have. the difference with the OR is you get the autoLSD and that added e-locker.

15. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:31 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

...Based on what? Every manufacturer has a different acronym for the same thing.

What Toyota calls VVT is called VTEC by Honda and many other things by other manufacturers. It's the same technology.

By the same token, what's called VSC in our trucks is variously known as ESC, VRP, VSP, ESP, and many other alphabet soup terms from other manufacturers.

The responsibility is on the consumer to know what they're buying before they hand over their money, not for manufacturers to come up with consistent terminology amongst their competing products.

16. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Breadbox

Breadbox Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, MT, 4X4, SR5
    4" lift; ION and Camburg, custom progressive rear springs no overload; ION Bumps; Roadmaster Active suspension, quick disconnect sways front and rear, Nitro 4.10s, Detroit TrueTrac, ECGS bushing, Aluminess Rear bumper w/swing outs and flood lights, 285/70/17 on ProComp Steelies, Kenwood NAV, URD Short Shifter, CB, front rally bar with LED flows and fogs, RockSliders, FWC.
    This is a funny post because I for one did actually know the "Options" and since I've owned a few Tacoma's with lockers but never really use them I decided to go with a sport and the Auto-LSD (2010)...because in "Theory" it does the same thing as the mechanical - stops the spinning wheel.

Well now owning the truck for 8000 miles and many hundreds on a Farm in the mud I've got to say with the new AUTO-LSD I don't think it is as good as my 02' was with a mechanical LSD. I find I get stuck more. I've not gotten stuck enough that I couldn't get out without a locker but still I've gotten stuck where my 02' would just chug on through.

I agree with the post that someone said it's not well described by Toyota. Not everyone needs a locker I used my locker in my '02 twice ever...It just didn't seem ecconomical for me to pay extra for that option when I never used it...I thought I didn't need a locker but now after "Real World Use" because the new Auto-LSD and TRAC system isn't as aggressive as the older mechanicals LSD I have to say a LOCKER is a required option on newer trucks!

I've been considering adding a ARB Air-Locker myself. I think I'll do it after I lift this truck because then I can change the gears at the same time.

All said am I upset with my purchase...NO...the TRD Sport is a solid truck I abuse it just as much as I did with my 02' on a farm hauling and towing. The new composite bed is amazing! No dents or anything maybe this won't rust out like my '02 did... Just in the fields and mud its a little harder to get around. I still not gotten stuck to the point I couldn't get out so only time will continue to tell if the lack of a locker and the new Auto-LSD are really up to the task and use they are described to be good for???

17. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    I just got a 2010 TRD Sport DCLB, and was facing the decision to go with the long bed w/o locker or the short bed TRD-OR with the locker. I decided that the convenience of the long bed for me was more important. But I was pretty bummed when doing my research that a DCLB TRD-OR did not exist. :(

18. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    They could have called anything else except LSD. if it is hard to figure out for people different options even less people will be able to figure out a difference between Auto-LSD in Toyota and LSD in Toyota
    I know customer should understand what he is buying. I had Toyota mechanic proving to me that my truck has mechanical LSD to make sure I am getting one. :D But most people are not pesky like me and dont ask salesmen "prove it" :cool:

19. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    doubt it, if you would with the LSD, you would with the locker. you just have to take a different line off road...sometimes not going into the deep mud or over that log. BUT some can do it, XP is key

i dont care what it is called but as long as it works, im happy. the LSD in my 09 is OK, i hate the beeping from the traction control and the ABS kicking in when i am braking for my life way worse then the fact i dont have a locker or auto LSD/LSD option

PS: in my 09 i have the LSD, i believe because my diff calls for LSD fluid, i doubt-but could be wrong that the auto LSD would call for it.

20. Apr 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    your 09 has the autoLSD like I do. our rear diff doesn't call for LSD fluid that I know of. It's an open diff and takes straight fluid w/ no additive

Products Discussed in

To Top