1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD supercharged owner = Recall FAIL !

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Razorecko, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    also what will clean up the shifting a little is if you disable traction control entirely. This you do by holding the 'trac' button at a complete stop for like 5-10 seconds. The trac light will pop up by itself. That helps a bit

2. Sep 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well the toyota rep just told me that you can apply the recall if you already have the supercharger. But if you apply the recall and later on want to get a trd supercharger it wont work, the programming than wont be compatible. So back to the dealer i'll go and tell them the deal, the rep said if there is an issue they should call the tech support line and give my case #

3. Sep 8, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    sooooo you can NOT get the S/C after these recalls? WTF?

4. Sep 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That is what she told me. You cannot have the TRD supercharger installed after the recall is done on your vehicle. Toyota has no f'n clue what it is doing

5. Sep 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    monte1985

monte1985 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Lancaster NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab 4.0 S/C
    Supercharger, Magnaflow Exhaust. Audio System . Gauges TRD CAI
    Let us know how you make out. No that was for the recall and the TSB for the Transmission problem right ? I so wish the x-one was out for the 09-10

6. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    If I were you, I'd be making damn sure that Toyota replaced the ecu on their dime right now if you plan on doing the supercharger install at some point in the future...

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Excellent looks like I will be getting supercharger for cheap :D

8. Sep 9, 2010 at 5:11 AM
    TacoNewbie

TacoNewbie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma - Pending SC Instal, CBE, Quickshifter
    So I am new to this site, and a new 2010 Owner, well when they figure out this whole reflash issue. I had this truck shipped 400 miles specifically so I could have the SC installed before I drove the truck off the lot. I sacrificed many options just so I could have the SC right off the bat. Dealer calls me yesterday to tell me that the SC is on backorder so I call TRD. They tell me that its because of the Recall on the accellerator and reflash of the brake override and that if the SC reflash was done prior to the Brake reflash there would be no issues, but since the brake reflash was done I need to wait until they release a code that will make the SC compatabile after the brake reflash. I am calling the dealer when they open and demanding that they swap out the ECU with a new one that didnt have the brake assist reflash so they can reflash for the SC. The truck is a manual trans so I dont see why I even need the brake override since I can just throw the trans in N if the pedal sticks. If they will not agree to the new ECU then I am going to drive their loaner until they figure this out. I also had them hold up all the paperwork until resolution so I dont have to start paying for the truck until I am driving it with the SC. I am out of my mind at this point...I will update later today after I talk to dealer...

9. Sep 11, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    Razorecko

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^ well good to know that its factual information. It would have been smart of them to post that on the recall form about the supercharger. Now the big question is should the shifting TSB also be able to be applied to a trd supercharged truck.

10. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    TacoNewbie

TacoNewbie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    So here is the update as of Friday afternoon. My dealer had the regional Toyota master tech come in. He said that the ECM reflash issue for the SC is operator error and if done correctly, the ECM will accept the reflash regardless of whether or not the brake override reflash was done already. I'm not sure if this is true, but my dealer agreed to install a new ECM if necessary to get me on my way. It sounds promising but I won't be relieved until I'm driving it with the SC. I will update again on monday which is when they said the work should be completed.

11. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    ^good to hear but like I said from the beginning operator error...not your fault...and dam glad to hear they replacing the ECM on their $$$...that's what they are supposed to do for RAZORECKO as well...

12. Sep 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    TacoNewbie

TacoNewbie Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Amazing - Toyota Corprate is a f@$%ing joke. My dealer just called me to ask that I call corporate to fight with them because the dealer has hit a wall. Apparently, Toyota will not sell my dealer a new ECM that doesnt have the Brake override recall since my VIN is already registered with the government as having the recall done. No new ECM means no Supercharger. Originally TRD said they were working on a new reflash to correct the issue. Second time I spoke to TRD, they made it very clear that they were NOT working on resolving the ECM compatibility issue and I could not get a Supercharger without getting a new ECM. Today, TRD said they are working on it and it should be resolved by end of October. I dont know what to believe at this point. I am waiting to hear back from the dealer to find out who will be paying for my car while it sits in the shop. The Supercharger is already installed so it cant be driven unless they uninstall it which they dont want to do. At the rate I am going, TRD is going to release the 2011 Supercharger before they fix the 2010 issue. I bought a 2010 so I could get the Supercharger right away, sacrificing many options that I wanted, having a truck shipped almost 400 miles, but with my luck I am sure it will all be for naught and the 2011 will be released. I dont know what to do at this point. Debating on getting a news station involved to motivate Toyota to get their act together. Any thoughts?

13. Sep 14, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    wow Government needs to know if re-flush is done ??? WTF :confused: One more reason to stay away from dealer for foreseeable future.
    Can you buy used ECM ( I guess large cost)?

otherwise Lemon law, lemon law, lemon law...

14. Sep 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Man that sucks:mad:, I have no intention of getting the brake overide TSB, but already got the trans shift TSB. Does that mean no SC in my future, I was palnning on making it an early x-mas present to my self, if so anyone wanna buy a gently used 09 Taco?:)

15. Sep 14, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    No, they had a similar problem wth the trans shift TSB not taking on TRD blower flashes but even that is resolved now. The only problem is the override on the brake/accelerator. You dont want that garbage anyway.

16. Sep 14, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    borderbrat

borderbrat Watching Chris4x4 o.O

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB, STOCK..But not for long
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
  17. Sep 14, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    its only compatible for '05-'08...toyota changed the ECU and the harness for '09-'11 so because of that the x-1 isn't compatible unless you are willing to start splicing wiring...

18. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    borderbrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    (old truck 2008 AC ....PIAA fogs, led "puddle" lights, bed lights, in cab 115V, Toyota Devil emblem, Randy Ellis light bar with LED light bar, OME 885 and Dakar leaf springs OME shock all round, 2.5 Gal OBA system with air horns, iPod adapter, scangauge on blend mount, magnaflow catback, bike fork mounts, tinted 2009 tails.)
    Oh shitty. Another reason I'm glad I got an 08.

19. Sep 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    I think about it this way: one less $1k mod I have to bleed for, but I can't wait for it to be made compatible..

20. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    borderbrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Victoria BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Junk yard from a 09+ taco pre recall

Products Discussed in

To Top