1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trd supercharger-how much hp?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by MotoXdoer, Mar 18, 2010.

1. MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 4.0 a/c beast
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    How much hp can u get max? Psi ratings?

2. Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    +1 for URD. More power and some better options!!

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    TRD for warranty and URD if you don't care and you have money.

4. MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    k&n cai 63 series intake, blacked out headlights, blacked out tailights, magnaflow pro offroad 17115 dumped, URD competetion y-pipe, total chaos 3.5" long travel, fox 2.5x8" remote resevoir shocks, allied 4" spindles, toytec 2" AAL, 20% tint up front and 5% rear, satoshi grille, ddm 50w 6000k hid's. wet okole custom trd seat covers with heaters. 4:56 nitro gears with arb rd129 air locker, arb ckmta12 dual air compressor.
    looked at both. dont want to waste the money on the trd if it only gives 280+rwhp more due to all my mods. 400 would be nice tho

5. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    I'd rather keep my truck's performance near stock and use my money to make a car go fast. IMO something like a GTO or Foxbody Mustang would be more fun with a lot of power.

6. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Forced induction is badass in any vehicle. I want a TRD blower for my truck but $$$$.

7. XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    The URD blower can't come anywhere close to the the torque that the TRD can produce.

The most recent TRD dyno pulled over 410rwhp and like 450rwtq, with bolt-ons, tune, and a small 30 shot of nitrous, on a very restricted tune (safety first). It has since been retuned and is probably pushing close to 500rwtq and about 450rwhp.

TRD Supercharger + Nitrous kit = More power then you will need.

8. MotoXdoer

MotoXdoer [OP] taco?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    San Luis Obispo, Ca
    Vehicle:
    how much psi boost? and how much nitrous? 150 shot

9. ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    TRD FTW

URD 2.8 pully :headbang:

10. XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    the stock air surge tank won't take nitrous very well because of the ACIS valve inside it.

Plus you won't get anywhere near the gains. Positive displacement blowers + nitrous go together as well as a 'sword' and a 'sheath' (if you catch my drift). You spray through the supercharger which puts the blower efficiency at > 100%, where its usually in the 75-95% (depending on lots of variables). With the URD, you don't want to spray through the blower.

So your 30 shot = 15-30ft-lbs of torque, where on the the TRD blower, that 30 shot = 45-60ft-lbs.

He did his on 9psi of boost, 30 shot of n2o, in 70° weather, on a very conservative tune.

On my motor, I plan on running quite a bit larger shot. 10psi of boost, and maybe a 75-125 shot. Which will put me into the 500rwhp range pretty easily, and god knows how much torque.

11. XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    lol, the nitrous isn't needed.. trust me.

Fastest trucks out there are TRD supercharged with bolt-ons and a tune.

My stock pulley, i/h/e, on street tires, and tune was faster then a MKII Stage III with drag radials (both ET and MPH, with a slower 60')

If you don't like the roots whining sound, the URD is much quieter. While it will make good redline HP numbers, it doesn't have the torque that the TRD does. torque wins races, torque pulls shit, hp is good for bragging.

Remember gadget's 400hp dyno, was on race gas, with a full custom race tune. The last Stage III dyno I saw was in a double cab, automatic, and it dyno'd 340rwhp.

If the URD kit, was say $1000 cheaper, then I would say it is an awesome kit. I like to race, and drive fast, and the URD kit won't ever get my truck moving the way the TRD blower does.

12. TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Glendale, AZ
    heres how i see it.....

The URD blower is, what, ~ $5800? and the TRD can be had for $2900-4......

If youre going to be paying $1800-2500 more for the URD, then i would hope you would see better numbers (when only considering the blower, not supporting mods).....

So if it were me id look at the cost vs the benefit.....

1. TRD is much cheaper AND you will retain factory warranty...... (and lets not forget that the quickest reported tacoma has the TRD..... and i believe Xrunnit has the "fastest" as far as trap times(without nitrous i believe).

2. The URD is quite a bit more, but when comparing just the blowers side by side, you do get more power....

I dunno. If it were my choice id go with the TRD (personal choice) because numbers arent everything.

only my 2 cents though. good luck with your decision.

13. XrunnIT

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Well one benefit the URD does have, that has that cost up, is it comes with the X-1 and fueling upgrades. Which you would still need to get for the TRD blower to push the high performance numbers

When you break down the cost:benefit, they are pretty close in cost to have the equal mods. But one will make a ton of torque, the other not soo much, but might have a higher redline HP.

And I have the 2nd fastest trap. A twin-turbo'd XR beat me by 1mph. And that was when I was mostly stock. I've done a LOT of work since my last trip out, and hope to regain that 05+ Tacoma trap record.

14. TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Glendale, AZ
    gotcha. I was unaware that the URD kit came with the X-1.

but i knew that of the two kits you had the best trap.... the TT doesnt count.... and like you said, by now, im sure youve got him.

To Top