1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JMITCH08, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Aug 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    So, fuel tank update- after playing with that fuckin vent hose coming from the fuel filler neck I veto'd dropping the entire tank, but was able to pull the straps off and lower it enough to get a solid visual on the top. Nothing is cracked or looking strained, so the only thing I could think was that I didn't get the Fuel Pump Ring tight enough when I swapped out the fuel pump. So my BFH and a giant flat head got me another solid 1"-1 1/2" of turn on the ring, which I wanna say I was about 1/2"-1" away from lining up the original marks when I put it back up. So we'll see how that does now.

One thing I did notice even afterwords, when I was jacking up the fuel tank to get the straps up- I could see the tank flex a bit and got a little whiff of gas. Now, my face was next to the external filter, so It could have just been that (when I installed everything I hadn't tightened the filter enough and it leaked like a sumbitch until I cranked on everything) because I can't get any more turns on the pipe clamps but I still get a whiff of gas from it every so often.

But we'll see next fill up. Hoping I just needed to tighten the ring some more and thats that. If I get another overflow I'll suck it up and drop the whole tank and reseat the pump ring and see how the O-ring/gasket looks...or if its even there :facepalm:

2. Aug 10, 2016 at 4:50 PM
    richiep

richiep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access 4WD SR5
    Trd s/c 2.85 pully Walbro 255 f/p Urd stage 3 clutch Hurst core shifter Afe cai
    IMO if the ring was leaking you would have a gas stink all the time from splashing. I would try & reseat the clamps on fill, over flow, & vent lines. hope that helps.
    I just remember how where the connect to the tank by the wheel was tricky.

3. Aug 10, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I'm like 99% sure it was coming from the ring since as soon as I saw gas leaking I looked under the truck and all the connection I could see were not leaking and it was coming down from the rings location. I looked in the wheel well and wiggled connections and everything seemed tight and not leaking. Fuck that 1/4" vent line, that mother fucker took me like 2 hours trying not to just cut it to get it off lol.

Next fill up Ill take it to the handle click again and see if anything is leaking.

4. Aug 10, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Also, I don't think it was a super active leak, I think just topping off the tank caused it to overflow from the ring. I get the occasional fuel whiff from under the truck.

5. Aug 10, 2016 at 5:32 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    There also is those evap connections that go to that box on the crossmember, not sure if gas can get to that point, but if can leak, it might drip over the ring & make it seam like the ring is leaking. A real bitch to check with the tank n place & bed still attached.

6. Aug 10, 2016 at 5:35 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Just find it strange that it only leaks when full, that part is throwing me, if there was a way for fuel to get out of that ring, it would be leaking all the time, like the bottom of the tank would be wet after most trips.

7. Aug 10, 2016 at 5:45 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Unless I topped it off more than I thought? That may have happened and it sorta over pressured the tank and that was the quickest way out.

8. Aug 10, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Maybe, it would be nice if u could get a gopro or similar up there when you fill it up. I no its tight up there.

9. Aug 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Doubtful, I can barely fit a hand up there when its latched lol

10. Aug 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Maybe you can fill it up & if it leaks again, you can fill a gas can, lower the tank on the jack just enough to see the top & have a friend pour the gas down the filler while ur watching. Just a thought.

11. Aug 10, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
  12. Aug 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    You do know the ring/top of the tank is keyed and has to fit in a certain way right? I made that mistake first time I dropped the tank. everything looked good but leaked gas when I filled it up

13. Aug 10, 2016 at 7:13 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    what fo you mean? The fuel pump itself, or the ring. I got the pump in the right position IIRC, I remember seeing something that had to be lined up correctly

14. Aug 10, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    I guess I mean the bucket has to be keyed into the tank, not the ring itself. The top of the fuel bucket has a couple teeth iirc that only fit in the tank one way. If they aren't in right, you'll leak gas when you attempt a fill up

15. Aug 10, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I'm like 90% sure I got it in correctly, but if it leaks again Ill just suck it up and redo the whole thing with a new O-ring

16. Aug 11, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Take it apart, and after your thorough inspection, add some Vaseline to the O-ring. It should help it seal better.

Did you mark the threaded ring before unscrewing it? I've no idea.

17. Aug 11, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    The Ring already had a mark from the dealer and I was able to get it about 3/4" from the original mark before my strap wrench started looking like it was gonna break again.

18. Aug 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM
    mightytacoman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    used a hammer and flat head screw driver to get mine in place/lined nack up with dealer marks

19. Aug 25, 2016 at 2:38 PM
    richiep

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NY
    Vehicle:
    my truck started a new trick the other day, I started it & went to turn on the blower fan for a/c & it was dead, looked at the dash & all the idiot lights were lit. so I started checking fuse's & relays & after touching the fuse's behind the coin holder the fan went on & lights went off. It happened a few more times & I just have to push on the fuse box & it goes back to normal.

Any idea's what it could be?

20. Aug 25, 2016 at 3:17 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Well based on the thread you are in I'll blame your s/c. Perhaps try asking in the general 2nd gen forum.

Products Discussed in

To Top