1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD supercharger

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by JMITCH08, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Jun 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    mightytacoman

mightytacoman Mighty-known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kel
    Vehicle:
    4.5L 1grfe
    Brian Crower stroker kit, Carrillo pistons moly/ceramic coated, BC sportsman rods, arp s2000 head bolts, Darton M.I.D sleeves, Kelford race cams, Magnusson supercharger, hp tuner tuned, 650cc flow matched fuel injectors, CSF radiator, Walbro 255 fuel pump. pulleyboys quick change pulley with 2.3", fpr mod, NST crank, water and alternator pullies, 160° mishimoto thermostat. Puma On-board air, Radflo CDC ext coilovers with 14" 700# springs, extended length rear Radflo shocks with CDC, Dakar leak pack, Brute Force Fab front bumper galvanized and powder coated, DTRL mod, yellow fogs, fog anytime mod, relocated rear differential breather, synthetic fluids, custom airbox, tundra sized intake. 76mm throttle body, secondary air filter removed, Airflow snorkel, 4x innovation sliders powder coated, URD equal length headers, DT y-pipe, Aero-Turbine 2525xl exhaust dumped over axle, seat belt chime disabled, Warn 8000i winch, 1- 20" slim light bar in grill, 42" curved roof light both with custom brackets. Mesh grill, Brute Force Fab rear bumper with extra reverse lights, u bolt flip kit, SS extended brake lines, hockey puck bump stop extension, AT shackle flip kit, Light Racing UCA's, 4crawler 1.5" bodylift. custom built front and mid skid plates, re-geared to 4.56s, windows tinted 25%, Sony stereo, 8" skar sub-woofer, 1000 watt mono amp, retrofit headlights with legal demon eye, Kryptek Marathon seat covers. North Star agm 27f battery, Helo 791 rims, 315/75/r16 Mt/r ARB front air locker
    I get that, but to what degree will that be seen? What kinda hp/torque is left on the table under the stock/reflash in comparison.

2. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Might be dynos of different owners with similar mods, in my thread. Or even before and after with an X-1/UCON. Unless URD has some charts on their website.

3. Jun 16, 2017 at 12:38 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit
    The APR X1 said around 20 rwhp when it came out. And I think there tunes were little more aggressive. Why Gadget will not provide that info is a good question. I would be very curious to see the actual difference between a properly leaned out TRD reflash w/ cam gears and thermostat vs a ucon. If people want the most power out of a TRD supercharger than you need to tune for e85 and 7th injector

4. Jun 16, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    Roostfactor

Roostfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    HPT/justDSM tuned factory ecu, URD Headers, JFR Y-Pipe/l 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Maggy SC (JFR ported), JFR ported lower intake manifold, 76mm tb, 2.5 pulley, 640cc injectors, CSF Radiator, custom electric fan wit Autocoolguy controller, JFR SC pulley wrap mod
    Yes, he seems very secretive over what exactly the UCON is doing. He says it will work with the TRD or Bully Dog tuned ecus but works better with stock ecu. I dont know why that is since the UCON supposedly has full control (Then sends false signals back to ECU so it stays happy).

Also won't sell the cam gears separately so unless someone knows where to get them you have to buy UCON to get cam gears.

5. Jun 16, 2017 at 5:02 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    The X-1 files were running even more aggressive timing, combined with a 6300 rpm limit. Gadget's tunes on the X-1 had less timing, as well as applied on the UCON.

After more learning timing and or RPM evolved to the levels which they are now. Which is much safer on than the levels when the X-1 came out. While still beingmore aggressive that the other aftermarket tunes.

A lot of people with the X-1's had very few technical problems. Of that population, a noticeable amount had some sort of engine failure. Timing being the first culprit, and rpm being the second. This is why Gadget had his timing/rpm maps less aggressive.

Roostfactor likes this.
  6. Jun 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife
    sub'd. trying to sort out the gauges I want and if I want to pull the trigger on the UCONN with the magnuson

7. Jun 16, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    *UCON*

gersus and oni06 like this.
  8. Jun 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    TRD Blower, 2.3 Pulley, NST OverDrive Pulley Kit, B&M Shifter, TR Lowering Kit, Spec Clutch, Xrunner Body Kit

Yes I remember the engine failures with the x1. Most were e85 tunes right? Probably why Gadget will not provide them for the Ucon. The APR x1 was the Wild West lol

jojotoo and Roostfactor like this.
  9. Jun 17, 2017 at 1:56 AM
    FinnJ

FinnJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finland
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser 6M/T
    TRD SC, UCON, CNG conversion, RC 6" (lifted 4"/3" air suspension) w/FOX 2.5, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RECARO seats, etc.
    Seems like it would be easy to make them of the original ones, just machine one groove and dot at the opposite side? 3° different spot than oem. IMG_2907.jpg

10. Jun 17, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    That is was!

The primary issue with the E85 tunes, is that the assumption of the fuel being consistently ~80 % ethanol. Which it never is. Since the tune was based off of that assumption, and the trucks have no content analyzer, bad things happen.

Hot tunes with low (1/4 or less) fuel in the tank, plus boost, created a knock condition. Lots of ring lands weren't happy.

6300 rpm created over rev issues when people mis shifted.

6300 rpm plus boost created magically disappearing rods. Lol.

Some people fiddled with their tunes and messed their stuff up.

Others had head gasket failures from the APR tunes, due to too much timing.

That is all why most people went with Gadget's tunes. He and Scott worked diligently to finely comb through them to make them safer.

11. Jun 17, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    gersus

gersus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCOR
    Lil lift, bumpers, SC, UCON, headers, etc.
    And THAT is why I spent 1600 on the UCON. :)

12. Jun 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    Roostfactor

Roostfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TX panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Pyrite Mica
    HPT/justDSM tuned factory ecu, URD Headers, JFR Y-Pipe/l 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Maggy SC (JFR ported), JFR ported lower intake manifold, 76mm tb, 2.5 pulley, 640cc injectors, CSF Radiator, custom electric fan wit Autocoolguy controller, JFR SC pulley wrap mod
    Quote...Seems like it would be easy to make them of the original ones, just machine one groove and dot at the opposite side? 3° different spot than oem end quote.

Agreed, but probably is above most people's level here. I for one am not a machinist. Also would be downtime sending one gears out to machine shop or would have to purchase a second set of gears, send off to machine shop for mod, then install. It could be done but price and effort is probably not worth it for most.

13. Jun 17, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I'm still not comfortable putting the RPMs so high even with UCON. At 5500 the engine is already screaming...I think I'll ask to have mine set for like 6k and still probably shift before then...I think with a decent tune, a couple grand more in upgrades, I'll be happy with where I'm at, until I can afford to LS swap. Or the engine explodes...

Tn Jeff likes this.
  14. Jun 17, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    6k on N/A. I think Gadget limits the rpm on boosted applications to 5700. Unless they have forged internals.

gersus likes this.
  15. Jun 17, 2017 at 6:45 PM
    TRON

TRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Wheel Drive X-runner
    So how's that elite 2500 treating your ride @Torspd ??

16. Jun 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Freaking love it!

When I get some time, I need to swap out the OEM injectors for the Injector Dynamics ID1300 cc injectors. Then redo the fuel map. It runs and idles sooooo smoothly.

Then it'll be ready to put the turbo on. :woot:

Roostfactor likes this.
  17. Jun 17, 2017 at 9:36 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Hey guys, hoping maybe you can help me out with this one...

As some of you might remember, I posted here about having installed the URD 7th injector kit on my 5VZE TRD supercharger. Everything went smoothly, it seemed (and still does) to operate as it should...got rid of 90% of the terrible pinging I was getting upon acceleration especially under high gear/low RPM settings.

Anyway, it's been 3 weeks or so and today while I was beginning a rather tough 4x4 trail out here I got a CEL. Scanned it with a reader that another member had on him and it came back as P0420 'catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1'.

Anyone on here have this issue with their boosted motor? Or better yet, after having installed the URD 7th kit on a 3.4l? Not entirely convinced that the two are related (I've driven it pretty hard in the last 3 weeks since the install and it didn't throw a code until today), but it seems likely. My first thought was that I'm perhaps running too rich now with the 7th injector and it's messing with my O2 sensors (I unfortunately don't have an AFR gauge yet so I can't confirm this right now). Would like to get some ideas as to what I can do about it before taking it in to get looked at (aka get $$$$$$ raped). Thanks in advance

18. Jun 18, 2017 at 12:45 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    When is the last time that you replaced that sensor?

Did you do ANY exhaust modifications prior to receiving that code?

19. Jun 18, 2017 at 12:47 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Get an AFR sensor? pretty cheap insurance before you pay someone to tell you whats wrong

20. Jun 18, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Nope no exhaust modifications done by me. The truck has TRD headers and exhaust but those were put on years ago by the PO.

The AF and O2 sensors were replaced a year ago when I had a P0171 code that wouldn't go away, but turned out to be a leak on the supercharger itself (the port that the 7th is now plugged into wasnt capped properly).

Its been ordered

Products Discussed in

To Top