1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD VS 4x4 question

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 1997tacomashortbed, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Aug 26, 2016 at 9:35 PM
    1997tacomashortbed

1997tacomashortbed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Vehicle:
    1997 red Tacoma single cab
    31 inch tires
    Hi, I have a 1997 Tacoma regular cab 4x4 with a 2.7L 4 cylinder and a 5-speed manual. What is the difference between a 4x4 and a TRD offroad pro from this year?

2. Aug 27, 2016 at 12:59 PM
    puddle

puddle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    ID
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR
    Cool dealer placard
    Not sure bout that year, later years: TRD=rear locker. 4x4 is just that, 4 wheel drive. 4x4 TRD= 4 wheel drive with rear locker.

George1441 likes this.
  3. Sep 3, 2016 at 12:23 AM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    puddle covered the TRD Off-Road vs. 4x4 (note that the TRD Sport does not have a locker and just to keep it confusing, they also make a 2wd TRD Off Road). My previous 2000 TRD OR had a locker but I'm not sure when they started doing that. I want to say it was '98, but I don't really know.

For 2017 I want to clarify that there's a TRD Off-Road and the TRD Pro that are off-road centric.

The TRD Pro is basically a TRD Off-Road with an upgraded suspension, some mostly cosmetic features, and a huge additional markup. It's all good if you want one but the general consensus is you could easily do the functional suspension upgrade on a TRD Off-Road and come out way ahead compared to buying the PRO.

4. Sep 4, 2016 at 10:42 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Even more useful that the rear locker on the 4x4 Off Road (and PRO) is the A-TRAC system (and MTS system) as they effectively power all four tires that have traction and not just the two in back.

Without A-TRAC or MTS then the 4WD front axle powers only the low traction tire (the one that spins the easiest) and not the one that can actually pull you ahead.

This is why the guys with Sport or any non 2009+ Off Road TRDs need to add a front locker for the real serious four wheeling and not need a pull or avoid the toughest trails. A-TRAC/MTS is included in the price of the Off Road package, get it and go straight from the showroom to the toughest trails without spending thousands more!

Products Discussed in

To Top