1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD vs Aftermarket Toys...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nightfury, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Sep 6, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    Nightfury

Nightfury [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    So, I am quite torn right now. I bought a 2010 SR5 AC V6 6spd 4x4, and I had it all planned out- TRD CAI, TRD cat-back, TRD Short throw, the black TRD simulated beadlock rims (I work at a dealer, so I can jump hoops to get those, even if it's not kosher with Toyota) eventually the TRD blower.... You get the idea, I planned on all Toyota parts.

Well, since I bought the truck, and have now had the cash for fun stuff, the cat-back is on stop sale, the CAI is on stop sale...the rims are now on stop sale. Makes me question why the hell did I buy a Yota if I can't get the factory accessories I want for it?

Long story short, do I forgive my standards of nothing aftermarket touching my truck, and go ahead with A/M toys, or do I stick to my guns, and may never get the bells and whistles I want because Toyota pulled a GM move?

I have no real reason other than I wanted it to be an all Toyota truck. I thought that would be a unique ride.

Thanks for the input you guys offer.

**EDIT: typo's**

2. Sep 6, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    Go on Ebay you will find it all on there Bro, trust me.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Sep 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    to me, that thought sounds too much like that vehicle they have sitting on the showroom floor w/ every single accessory on it. better things can be had for cheaper in the aftermarket community

4. Sep 6, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    What Toyota lift would you use? What Toyota navigation would you use? What Toyota mud tires would you use? Would you use the Toyota bed box? It sucks. The list goes on and on of things I could not do without, which Toyota does not offer or has inferior parts for. To me an all Toyota truck would be sub par, over priced, and extremely limited. I want wheels I can combine with a 3" lift and 33" tires WITHOUT resorting to using spacers. Where is the Toyota Uniball upper control arm?

If I was limited to only Toyota after market parts I would have never bought the Tacoma... it was going to get modded from day 1 into something better than Toyota parts can create. My Weathertechs are way better than the Toyota equivalent. My DNX9960 head unit is so far better than ANYTHING Toyota ofers its ridiculous.

Now on the other hand when Toyota has good parts at a good price like the TRD Supercharger, CAI, exhaust, roof rack, etc. I will get those because they are great parts that fit my needs and great integration (well I wont get the CAI because Im just going stock intake with AFE filter). Im interested in having the BEST parts and the BEST rig... not an all Toyota rig, which is not very interesting IMO. YMMV.

5. Sep 6, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Nightfury

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Factory running boards, Toyota (DeeZee built) toolbox, Code Alarm 5152 remote starter, Bronze TRD rims, more to come....
    With all-do respect, I do think there would be exceptions to the to what I can't go aftermarket with that are fairly obvious - I'm going to use BFG A/T's or similar tires, I have no intentions of lifting it at this time, and lets face it - Toyota Nav systems blow. And after working at a Toyota dealer, putting up with aftermarket accessories, I've seen enough problems caused by these parts to make me hesitant. That being said, I do believe a majority of our customers do not research sufficiently and just slap on whatever they can get dirt cheap.... Hell, we have a red D/C Tundra (new body style) that comes in and it looks like the guy went to K-Mart and said "I'll take one of everything..." Tons of suspension and electrical problems because the A/M stuff (at least on his truck) is junk.

However, you are correct by pointing out an all Toyota truck would be limited and expensive. I do get parts at a significantly cheaper price than Joe Green would get at the parts counter, and being a certified Toyota tech, I can install everything with all the dealer tools free of charge, so the cost is not very prohibitive to get TRD accessories, or parts like the Toyota TRD Sport smoked headlights.

Again, thanks for your input guys. Anyone know of a thread that reviews American Racing ATX series, or Moto Metal rims? I have been searching the forums, but apparently I suck at it.

I guess what I am getting at is this: There are a lot of guys here that have tricked their trucks, and I was wondering if there are certain brands of accessory manufacturers to avoid?

6. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I do not know what a stop sale is? You can't order it from another dealer?
    I think its great you work at a dealer and get to work on your own truck :woot:
    Kinda like the FJ rims only dealers can buy some can't.
    Heck I bought a set of Anthracite TRD FJ rims from a Cali dealer on ebay at a killer price Dec 2009 & sold them to a salesguy at a local toyota dealer here. I thought that was crazy :crazy:
    So why does Toyota do that? Any insight?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Sep 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I had a buddy who refuses to put anything but Roush parts on his Mustang- He feels like a silly ass pretty regularly cause I'm talking about some new part or idea for my car/truck or someone elses and he doesn't even have the option cause Roush doesn't make it and he refuses do use anything else.
    I'm not a fan of the whole "OEM Only" parts thing...but it's your truck. If you are cool with waiting-Go for it.

8. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    Nightfury

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    That line made me think a lot, I definitely don't want to be that tool driving around the pre-built "custom" Tacoma.

9. Sep 9, 2010 at 2:52 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    now i have seen some descent trucks at dealerships, but they were using aftermarket wheels, lift, and other parts. just sayin.... as always, it's your truck and you are allowed to do whatever mods you see fit...unless you love in cali...lol

10. Sep 9, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    Nightfury

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    NY is getting to be just as bad as Cali >.<

Products Discussed in

To Top