1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD vs SR5

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bextreme, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    Bextreme

Bextreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I read several reviews on the duratrac's and many said that on the road they were seemed downright dangerous. I have never tried them and a lot of people on this sight seem to love them; however, 95% of my driving is on the road and that scared the hell out of me.

2. Apr 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Bextreme

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I agree the 4x4 trd OR would be the best solution. however, the added cost would bring pmts over what I want to pay. I could always get the extras aftermarket and pay cash down the road if I found I needed them.

3. Apr 26, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I've got the SR-5, 4WD model. It's got everything I need. I really only use the 4WD for snow and the occasional gravel road. I added the tow hitch so I don't have the radiator cooler, but I only tow a small boat. I've still got the horrible Dunlop 245 tires but they're going soon. I got the TSB done and upgraded the front suspension. No locker, but I've never needed one (yet).

4. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    ok my mistake...i was just trying to make a point since he said they have nothing.....4L is still better than 4H with trac or atrac...lower gearing gets you out of trouble more than electronic assistance

5. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    tacomatijuana

tacomatijuana New Member

Member:
    chula vista
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma pre
    guys i am new a here so healp me out i have an 06 taco trd i recently swapt out mi dif do to an off road incident but i put on a locking dif and the original dif was not locking the guy that sold it to me said i can put the system on my truck so the locking system would be functional would you guys be able to healp me out is this tru.

6. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Never shop by payments, just by total amount.

7. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Welcome to Tacoma World!

If I understand you correctly, you swapped out the open differential for a locking differential... You must have not had the Off Road TRD (which has the locker)?

What kind of help do you seek?

8. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

He might have looked at the payments at this bank and later shopped by price to make sure the equaled what he needed them to be for his budget.

When I bought mine I knew I wanted my payment to be X. I got my loan pre-approved with my bank. So I knew interest rate up front. Looked via payment calculator to know how much I wanted to payment to be. Then I started car shopping. Once I found the OTD price that equaled the payment I wanted to make, I contacted that dealer to test drive/purchase.

That all took me 3 months of hunting to find what I wanted, in the price range I wanted.

Just my steps to shop by payment.

9. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    They have nothing in 4L, am I missing the point?

Once you have lost traction, gearing is not an issue. In my '09, once I was stuck, I would put it in 4H, and drop the clutch.
    4L is only useful on the SR5 when you are in a high grip situation. I can only assume you have not taken your truck off road very much.

10. Apr 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ...That's not shopping by payment. You shopped by OTD price.

11. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    X2

People who have not experienced A-TRAC or the other new Toyota systems cannot relate at all... I was a 'Rear Locker or Die' Tacoma shopper until I tried TRAC and A-TRAC... What an improvement in off road driving ability... at least for hills, desert and beach four wheeling!

12. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Bextreme

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    I agree about not shopping by pmts; however, I know the total price I was willing to pay and the pmts that corresponded with that loan amount. If the dealer could get the price of the 4x4 TRD OR under that price, I would go for it. The problem is those extras cost alot and I really don't need them. Again, I could always add them doen the road and pay cash with no interest. If I did a ton of off roading, then the extras would be important and I would pay the extra up front and deal with the higher pmt

13. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Didn't feel like a longer financing period?

It's up to you, but likely less expensive to do the package than to add down the line.

14. Apr 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:

that's why you put it in 4wd to begin with so you will have traction and not lose it .....obviously there will be times where you can still get stuck and spin the tires....but that's kindof the point of having 4wd .... so you won't get stuck in the first place....at least that's the goal.....but even with trac and atrac people can get stuck as well so i don't see your point

*notice i didn't say when you get stuck or when you lose traction 4L is better than atrac or trac....i never said that...there is a difference between being stuck and being in trouble :)

15. Apr 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

I am looking forward to the time A-TRAC gets me stuck! So far, all it wants to do is get me unstuck and keeps me moving! :D

Look at this Tundra, with 3 wheels on rollers and only the one (front) tire, on the ground, with a block in front(!)... When A-TRAC is activated, that one blocked tire pulls the entire truck over the block and off the rollers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MOEZYAv5Q&feature=player_embedded

16. Apr 30, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    I offroad my truck a fair amount. 4WD is not a whole lot more capable than a locked 2WD when compared to a 4WD with open diffs. There is absolutely no comparison between ATRAC, and open diffs. You are basically suggesting that people spend $2K on lockers, and it doesn't make much of a difference. This is my 6th truck, I would take ATRAC over air lockers, or a lift and bigger tires for 90% of off roading. Again, you clearly do not off road a whole lot. Most stucks relate not to a lack of traction under all 4 wheels, usually its just the wheels with traction are not turning.

HMMMM

Watch some of the ATRAC videos, there are not many scenarios where 4H wouldn't have had the torque, but in all the videos, no ATRAC would have meant instant stuck. TRAC in 4H is the same thing, just not as aggresive.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...ac-videos-active-traction-control-action.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/51946-4low-trac.html
    4H with TRAC is waaaay more capable, than 4L, end of story.

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That's the fact, Jack!

When I did my first four wheeling with the '10 Tacoma, I was amazed at how much better 4WD High Range was over my '05 in climbing ability.

It is the TRACION Control.

When I tried the climb with the Traction Control turned off (VSC OFF Mode), and again in Low Range (open differentials), I didn't get nearly as close as I did in High Range with TRAC ON.

I tried again adding the REAR LOCKER in L4... no better or closer to the original mark.

Back in Low Range with A-TRAC ON, and I climbed right up to the highest point, but no further than I did in High Range, with TRAC...
    :D

18. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    kilgoja

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    you guys are obviously going way off on something crazy.....if you go into a 4ft mudhole you are gonna get stuck no matter what....that's all i'm trying to say....

19. Apr 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    08'Taco.DC,SR5.TRD. Off Road,Manual 6Spd.
    3 inch lift Rev Tek Bilstien shocks .Westin crome side nerf bars (steps) Toyo 285-16" , HID High/Low 4300k ,yellow fogs 3000k, Lear cap 100 XQ , Thule Tracker 2 roof rack , Bed Rug bed liner ....
    Mine is a SR5 TRD OFF ROAD ,..... I don't get it ....... why one or the other ,when you can have both .........

20. May 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    JayJay, all OFF ROAD TRDs are SR5s, but not all SR5s are OFF ROAD TRDs.

A SR5 is just a trim package for 2WD or 4WD Tacomas, but add the OFF ROAD TRD package to a 4WD and you have a totally different truck!

Only the OFF ROAD 4WDs have the 'A-TRAC hydraulic brake booster'... which also greatly improves the operation of TRAC in high range and AUTO LSD in 2WD, over those two systems in non-OFF ROAD Tacomas.

Products Discussed in

To Top