1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD vs SR5

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bextreme, Apr 24, 2010.

1. May 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    when did i ever say anything about lockers?
    when did i ever say anything about tires not having traction?
    anyways i've seen the videos...most all of the situations wouldn't even require you to be in 4L anyways...you would be fine in 4H so you would have trac working

"4H with TRAC is waaaay more capable, than 4L, end of story."

^^that depends on "what" you are doing and "what" terrain you are on

2. May 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    arrowhead

arrowhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is it possible my 05 sr5 has a hydraulic brake booster?

I swear I hear an electric motor or something when I brake hard especially off road...
    I was trying to figure out what it was That makes sense.

I have the tow package and LSD.

Only thing I wish I had from a TRD is the skid plates on things like the fuel tank. The TRD front Skid is shit. but I would be nice to have the others I know I could get them after market but they will cost a lot.

3. May 1, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    08'Taco.DC,SR5.TRD. Off Road,Manual 6Spd.
    3 inch lift Rev Tek Bilstien shocks .Westin crome side nerf bars (steps) Toyo 285-16" , HID High/Low 4300k ,yellow fogs 3000k, Lear cap 100 XQ , Thule Tracker 2 roof rack , Bed Rug bed liner ....
    OOOOOOOOO !!!! I get it now David .... Thanks .....

4. May 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    ATRAC is similar to front and rear lockers, and is by your definition, "electronic assistance", well gearing doesn't give traction, it just provides torque at different speeds.
    You stated the gearing is better at not getting stuck, than "electronic assistance", which is not the case.
    Yeah, why wouldn't the tires have traction off road.....are you kidding me?
    If you are driving an auto, yes. But that's easy to say, but you are assuming. But I thought you said gearing was more helpful than TRAC....Effectively proving how ridiculous your previous statement was. The point is, if you off road more than the odd time, you want 4L for control, and ATRAC for grip.
    Are you 12 years old?

This whole debate was about whether ATRAC is worthwhile, you obviously never push your truck, so you should just quit guessing. Maybe you don't know, but I had an '09 SR5, I wheeled it before and after the 4L TRAC mod. Now I have a 2010 OR model. The SR5 without the TRAC mod is a pretty wimpy off roader, prone to easily getting stuck. With the mod, it is very impressive, literally more than twice as capable. ATRAC on my OR model makes it one of the most capable off road vehicles I have ever seen, limited only by tires. From rock crawling to sand or mud, having all wheels pushing is more important than gearing. You can always slip the clutch, or abuse a torque converter to get unstuck, but once your spinning, without TRAC or ATRAC, you're done. End of story...

5. May 1, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Oh yeah, why do you think I got rid or my 6 month old SR5?
    That's right, for ATRAC.

6. May 1, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    Bextreme

Bextreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    DAMN IT!!! you guys are going to get me to buy a 4x4 TRD OR and spend more than I wanted to and probably get a divorce...Oh well, we have had 14 good years together.

7. May 2, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I don't think so, I had an '05 and the ABS system made grawling noises and would't stop the truck well on wet or dirt roads... My '01 never did that and my '10 also has yet to do what my '05m did.

My fuel tank skid plate is plastic, so don't think it can do a lot of good, but the tank is pretty well located and I have yet to damage it on my 3 Tacomas.

8. May 2, 2010 at 6:40 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Funny man.... but yes, the 4x4 TRD OR is that good! "Oh, what a feeling!":D

9. May 2, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

^ This is why I never accept a compromise between what I want and what I get ;)

Better to delay gratification longer, get the money together, and get the best.

10. May 2, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    propulsion

propulsion New Member

Member:
    It seems to me that the OP wants 4x4 so he does not worry about certain situations like driving on a beech. TRD OR certainly adds some extra capability in certain situations, like extreme offroading. However, for those of us looking for added security while towing the family along to the beech or possibly some inadvertent mud or snowy terrain, is SR5 with the yellow wire mod enough? Hemi says the hydraulic brake booster in TRD's improves the performance of TRAC in 4Hi. My question is, in what situation would you notice? On sand at a beech (not climbing a dune)? Trying to pull someone out of a snowy ditch? Would TRAC in 4Hi or yellow wire mod in 4Lo not be sufficient? Is the locker really necessary anymore for anything less than extreme offroading? I think the answer to those questions are key to deciding on whether or not the TRD is worth it for snowy roads or sandy beeches.

11. May 2, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    BEACH driving with a '09 or newer TRD OFF ROAD 4WD is greatly improved by TRAC in H4, as I no longer get stuck without letting the tire pressure down to 15 psi, as before.

I would like to drive a non TRD OFF ROAD 4WD on the Baja beach and see the difference TRAC is with the vacuum break booster, over the hydraulic.

12. May 2, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    The OffRoad model is only "necessary" if you plan on pushing the truck. SR5 with TRAC mod (and apprpriate tires), is probably a more capable truck than most people have ever driven.

13. May 2, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    Bextreme

Bextreme [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
    PHP:
    [quote="propulsion, post: 1718911"]It seems to me that the OP wants 4x4 so he does not worry about certain situations like driving on a beechTRD OR certainly adds some extra capability in certain situationslike extreme offroadingHowever, for those of us looking for added security while towing the family along to the beech or possibly some inadvertent mud or snowy terrainis SR5 with the yellow wire mod enoughHemi says the hydraulic brake booster in TRD's improves the performance of TRAC in 4Hi. My question is, in what situation would you notice? On sand at a beech (not climbing a dune)? Trying to pull someone out of a snowy ditch? Would TRAC in 4Hi or yellow wire mod in 4Lo not be sufficient? Is the locker really necessary anymore for anything less than extreme offroading? I think the answer to those questions are key to deciding on whether or not the TRD is worth it for snowy roads or sandy beeches.[/quote]
    You summed it up perfectly. I do not do any extreme off roading. I may park in sand to go fishing. I may eventually move back up north and have to deal with snow(although many years ago, I lived in Rochester, NY and drove a basic 2wd nissan pickup with stock tires and got around fine) but mostly want to be sure that if I get a larger boat, I will not slip on the ramps (especially with the incoming oil slick). To be honest, I think the Prerunner TRD OR I have would be just fine for my needs but the added security of a 4x4 might be better. Besides, I have a wide back and after a few weks driving, the extra room in the SR5 seats might be welcomed even though the trd seats are fine. I do love the truck I have. I have always hated driving but I find myself wanting to go places just to drive it.

Products Discussed in

To Top