1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble shifting out of 4 hi?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Big C, May 18, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Big C

Big C [OP] New Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport 4x4
    Hi guys,

First, let me say that I am a bit of a 4x4 noob, so be gentle. Anyhow, I noticed the last time I was at the beach that I had some difficulty switching back into 2wd from 4hi. The knob would not turn the first couple of times I tried. Eventually it did. I noticed that this happened right when I was almost at a stop, going from sand to pavement.

Could someone tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks,

C

2. May 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    The knob wouldn't turn at all? The knob is just an electronic switch. There is no interlock that prevents it from turning when it's not supposed to.

3. May 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    I agree with Maticuno. It's just an electrical switch, so the only way it would not turn is if the switch itself is broken internally. Sounds like the switch needs to be replaced.

4. May 18, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Agree with the above.

Also, make sure you're not pushing the switch in, as if switching to 4lo. That's only for switching from 4hi to 4lo.

If there was an actual problem, usually the 4x4 bulb on the instrument cluster will flash and beep.

5. May 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    make sure front wheels are straight when engaging and disengaging that way theres no bind on your cvs. ive found this helps. if turning and engaging, the 4x4 light will blink but your not engaged. once the light is solid you are truly engaged. you should also hear or feel it kick in at slow speeds.

6. May 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I bet you were in 4lo not 4hi, and in that case you need to push the switch in in order to turn it.

7. May 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags

Because he has an automatic, he must be in N Neutral as well (to go in to or out of L4).

Between H2 and H4, nothing should prevent you from turning the dial. Shift on-the-fly moving or still... there can be a delay of a few feet of movement for the transfer to take place. A loud 'thunk' may be heard, and is normal. Only use 4WD when you need more traction. Turning in 4WD will be difficult if your tires can not slip, ie. on dry pavement.

8. May 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    You guys might be on the right track with the 4lo. He did say he's "a bit of a 4x4 noob."

9. May 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    That loud "thunk" noise might be normal if you don't know how to keep it from happening. Before switching from 4H back into 2WD take your foot off the gas pedal and coast (so there's no load on the drive line) then turn the knob. You won't get the nasty "thunk" noise and your back in 2WD smooth as butter.

10. May 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    This

11. May 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    F75gunslinger

F75gunslinger Ka like a wheel

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Rochester,NY
    Vehicle:
    SWB '10 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x4
    Cluster and Radio LED swap,Westin bull bar,2nd set of bed tie downs,URD SS,K&N filter,weathertechs
    I would suggest it's a switch issue.Maybe remove the switch and take it apart. It's a simple rotary switch..I don't see how it would bind unless something inside it has come loose. A small piece of plastic is all it would take if it got in the right spot. Start there....That knob is an electrical switch like these guys said,so the issue has nothing to do with the transfer case not wanting to come out of 4hi.

Products Discussed in

To Top