1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble starting engine... happens every few months

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Black 09, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jan 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    Black 09

Black 09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleCab LB
    Seems be happening every few months now that I go to start my truck (2009 TRD) and it just wont start. Battery is brand new, starter cranks good, but engine just wont fire up. After a few seconds I turn back the key, give it a few seconds to rest (just seems like the right thing to do ??) try again and it usually fires up on the second attempt.... sometimes the third. It never happens twice in one day... it has happened in every season warm and cold, but never when its still warm from running.

Any ideas what on earth is going on????

Thanks.

2. Jan 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Sentinel Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & '79 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Does this happen when it is really cold? My truck usually starts after 3 cranks always, but one time it got really cold, below zero I think and it took a little more cranking to start. How many miles are on it? What spark plugs do you use, and how many miles are on them?

3. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    rdrnr

rdrnr Member

Member:
    My truck does the same thing, only after sitting overnight or for several hours.
    It has done this about 2 times over the last 4 months. It seems like it will start then shuts off. When I try again to start, it cranks quite a bit before starting. I have tried staybl and fuel system cleaners as this happens in the cold temps. The both times it happened after filling the tank with Mobil gas? Next time in for an oil change I will see if the dealer can pull any codes.

2010 Tacoma TRD sport V6 20,000 miles

4. Jan 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    rdrnr

rdrnr Member

Member:
    I just read this, sounds interesting.

2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    Here's my put on this. My 2010 has had similar issues. Not as bad, but it has happened. After starting and running my rig in the morning and parking it at work I noticed the hard start issue. Actually thought I was gonna flood it a few times. I posted and got a pretty advice that seemed to help. It seems that when you start your rig if your like me you put the key in an immediately turn it over. Someone suggested that because the Taco's has electric fuel pumps you might want to wait a couple of seconds before turning the truck on. The suggestion was to let the door chime a couple of times before turning it over. This gives the fuel pump a chance to prime.
    All I can say is when I have done this I have had less issues. Give it a shot before going all out. Never know.

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x The shit show

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    BC
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SAS
    3link 1tons on 40's and sum stuff
    ^^^ good info. I usually let it sit "on" not started for a few seconds before starting it. Have never had that problem, even with a vancouver truck. Have had some problems tho with my dads 08' accord starting lately. Maybe better spark plugs?

Nice vette rdrnr

6. Jan 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    ds46000

ds46000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    there's a tsb for this. search for "hard start tsb" or something to that effect.

7. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Black 09

Black 09 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD DoubleCab LB
  8. Feb 1, 2012 at 8:28 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Turn the key to the "ON" position for a couple seconds before you crank it. That lets the fuel pump prime and build fuel pressure. I used to do this when I drove a turbo car with a bigger fuel pump and modified fuel maps so it became habit. I do it to every vehicle I drive now.

9. Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC TRD Sport
    I reliably have hard starts when I get gas from a different station than usual. I don't know if the gas is bad or if the engine just doesn't like it as much, but the 3 times it's done it have all been a couple days after filling up at the BP station down the street instead of the Exxon I usually go to.

To Top