1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trouble w start and running after warm

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Thatnotchochz, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Thatnotchochz

Thatnotchochz [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    96 taco ext cab 4x4 w a 3.4v6
    4" block in rear
    Okay guys so I need some advice... I have a 96 sr5 4x4 w a 3.4 v6. I have to use starting fluid on start up in the cold. It idles low on start up and when warm it idles about 1.8k-2k. Once its warm and I press the clutch in it idles high but as soon as I hit the brakes it idles down to normal then back to 1.8k over and over then stabilizes at 1.8k rpm. I was thinking a tps or a throttle body or combo of the two. I have a bad header leak a bad flow on the radiator one o2 sensor and I had to replace gaskets on the intake due to almost hydro locking the motor out. I checked the valves and cleaned down to the head. I'm hoping it's not a fuel rail or injectors as they are $175 ea. X6 n I may as well just buy a motor lol. I've changed the fuel filter and started running 100% gas instead of that ethanol crap. I have cleaned my mass air flow sensor n have a k&n open air filter. It ran fine mostly before I practically sank it to the top of the hood. But I tore it apart n soaked the intake good n replaced the plugs n wires. It seams like it's getting flooded out for some reason. I don't wanna throw alot of money into it for no reason so I was wondering if anyone had any cheap trouble shooting ideas to figure it out w/o changing too many $100+ parts lol lemme know if you got anything.

2. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD SR5 Sport 4X4
    LED lights inside and out,weathertech floor covers/window visors, 18" XD Monsters, 285/65 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Lifted, debadged, Black billet grille with 4" light inserts. 10 disc cd changer. scanguage II. black tail lights, black headlights w/ retro murimotos. wet okoles up front. URD SS, and throw out bearing. USA Spec iPod adapter. OME full lift kit w/ Dakars. ATO shackle flip. Light Racing UCA's. Flyzeye V2W.
    Change the oil, and see what comes out. If you have water problems you may find them there. In that case I don't think it would be good.

3. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:50 PM
    Thatnotchochz

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    4" block in rear
    I've changed it three times since the problems. I don't have water in the oil. I ran higher weight to alleviate the h2o issue then switched back to reg. weight oil after 2k miles. It has a less stressful sound to it but still the same problem.

4. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD SR5 Sport 4X4
    LED lights inside and out,weathertech floor covers/window visors, 18" XD Monsters, 285/65 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Lifted, debadged, Black billet grille with 4" light inserts. 10 disc cd changer. scanguage II. black tail lights, black headlights w/ retro murimotos. wet okoles up front. URD SS, and throw out bearing. USA Spec iPod adapter. OME full lift kit w/ Dakars. ATO shackle flip. Light Racing UCA's. Flyzeye V2W.
    You run a diagnostic on it yet? Take it to an "advanced auto" they will plug it in for free. It's worth a shot.

5. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    Thatnotchochz

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    4" block in rear
    I did that too for shits n gigs but there are so many problems I don't know where to start man lol.

6. Jan 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    holyfield19

holyfield19 GO TIGERS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD SR5 Sport 4X4
    :confused::eek: I guess start at the bottom and work your way up...lol.

To Top