1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck acting very strange (Check Eng light on)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awoit, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    awoit

awoit [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    URD CAI, Flowmaster super 40, Debadged, 15% Tint all around, 12" sub, amp, and upgraded kenwood headunit,
    The last 4 days I've been in tahoe snowboarding and the truck was acting fine. On the drive home from tahoe to san jose after the elevation decline, it started raining very hard and I was about half way home when my engine started feeling like it was jerking itself back. It did this 9 or 10 times before I pulled off the freeway and right as I did this the check engine light came on, and the engine idle was extremely rough. I have never had this problem before and the only thing I can think of is that water is going into my URD CAI..

Opinions?

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    Could be a coil pack too. Did you go through a lot of water?

3. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    URD CAI, Flowmaster super 40, Debadged, 15% Tint all around, 12" sub, amp, and upgraded kenwood headunit,
    I didn't go through any water I was just driving on the freeway when it was pouring tigers and aligators..

I'm gonna look @ it today since the sun seems to be coming out and take apart my intake

4. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    TacoinSC

TacoinSC I'd rather be in Jamaica...

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 A.C. 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Undercover
    I had a S-10 with similar symptoms, turned out to be the fuel sending unit...

5. Dec 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    Ya it almost felt like i was getting fuel cut on the free way.. Only I wasn't slamming on the gas i was only going 70 and then i dropped it down to about 55-60 mph the rest of the way home to be safe.. Checked the intake and their were no signs of water but i don't know how long it would take for the water to leave the intake. Having my buddy come over asap so we can figure out what code is going on..

6. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM
    awoit

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD, SR5, Debadged
    If water was going into the engine what's the do I need to fo something, will the problem take care of itself, or am I looking for damage?

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    i'd imagine the maf would be affected by water in the intake way before the engine would have any issues from such a little amount of water. if the intake was submerged, then you'd have some water in the combustion chambers at some point and that would have caused an issue but just a wet filter or whatever won't cause any permanent mechanical issues, just sensor issues imo.

so, is the truck running normal now? if so, to me it sounds like it had a simple case of exposed, wet filter which in turn screwed with your maf.

8. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    it takes only a very very small amount of water to throw off the MAF and make your truck stutter like that.

Do you have an aftermarket grill? The URD intake was designed to be used with a stock grill. Changing that can make a difference.

If so, URD does sell a small filter shield that blocks water and direct wind turbulence.

To Top