1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck bed question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by branct06, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    My dad and I are debating if my 2005 tacoma sport has a fiberglass or a steel bed..... anyone know the answer to this? I was wondering because I am looking at installing Line-X

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Fiberglass.

3. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    branct06

branct06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    norcross Ga. and High Point Nc.
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 black sr5 long bed trd sport
    super 40 flowmaster turned down before rear axle, k&n intake, ipod interface, 20% 3m tint all the way around, grill craft mx series grill with 2 hella 500 behind the grill, 2 55 watt halogens mounted on uws black low profile toolbox, 3'' toytec ultimate lift kit sitting on black xd monsters and 285/65/18 BFG A/T, HID headlight kit
    Thank you! any idea how line-x would work on it? would the fiberglass flex causing the line-x to crack?

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Fiber-reinforced Sheet-Molded Composite (SMC) inner bed.

It seems someone has done line-x in the bed.

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    To be honest with you, I don't know. I wouldn't see a problem with it, I'm not sure how it would cause it to crack since it's very thick and I can't imagine it flexing. Some beds have cracked without the line-x.

I don't see a problem with it, unless someone would like to correct me. Would anyone who have had their fiberglass bed line-x'd give a review? Or is it a bad idea?

6. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    IDK about how well it'll adhere/last. IIRC Line-X is a but more rubbery and not really HARD...and the bed doesn't really give THAT much in my experiences. So my guess is that it'd be pretty awesome.

Only reason I will never Line-X/RhinoLine/Herculine my bed is that it really only adds weight. No need to protect composite from rusting and a bed mat is cheaper if you are worried about slip resistance.

7. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The only downside to a bed mat is that if you haul material like bark, dirt, rock etc. you have to take the bed mat out or be totally annoyed everytime you have to clean out underneath the mat. A spray in bedliner would eliminate this but you would have to weigh the costs to the usage.

8. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I've never found those textured liners to be very easy to clean....I can sweep bark/dirt/mulch out pretty easy from my bed as is...and I don't have trouble with stuff sliding...so I don't even have a bed mat...

9. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    O.C.

O.C. Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    90 DLX => 08 DC Offroad
    Nerf bars,Rugged cover Future: Vent shades,Bull Bar
    I wouldn't do it. Seems like overkill.

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    BakoTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I have TRD bed mat that came stock with the truck. I really like it, it really doesn't bother me if there is left over cr@p in the back. It's a truck, a few left over bark pieces and dirt doesn't bother me. When I clean my truck, I usually spray the bed out, and if there is stuff underneath the mat, not a big deal.

I think a bed mat would be a good thing to get for the OP, over the line-x. Cheaper too.

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:02 PM
    dexterdog

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It seems the spray in liners in the trucks at work are only as good as the prep. That being said they do well with carrying cargo without it moving. The composite bed in the Tacoma is very slick which for most applications is a downside but it works great for moving heavy objects.

I plan on getting a bed mat considering I haul different tools that slide around like butter in a skittle when I'm driving. Sandbags in the winter time without some sort of rubber underneath them is brutal.

Products Discussed in

To Top