1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck bed rack build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wolfgang123, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nov 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    So after seeing some other truck bed racks on the expidition forms i wanted one!!! to carry all my crap in and for when i am carry a bunch of random stuff around. I also just like the way they look. the basket is made out of 1 inch conduit and 3/4 coduit will be used for the sides and top "ring". Only tools are and over powered stick welder, some 7014 and 6011 rods, and an andle grinder used for cutting. I didnt cut intot the pipeing to have it sit flush before welding. I just sat the pipe ontop and welding the gaps closed, then grinder smooth with a beast 4 inch 8amp grinder.

So this is what i have to work with.

[​IMG]

Welded up the begining base square with 1" 45 inches long 34 inches wide. I used a magnetic welding traingle to fold things together while welding.

[​IMG]

Then i added a middle support brace, still 1" EMT conduit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i welding on my supporting braces for the top ring. 4 total for each side, made of 3/4" conduit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then welded part one of the 3/4" top ring.

[​IMG]

thats day one, I dont think i will finish before having to go back to school for thanksgiving but i thought i would start the thread before i forgot.

here are some pictures of my shitty welding skills at work.

[​IMG]

I am very exicted as it is only my second real welding project. Input is welcome. The picture that motivated me belongs to someone on this form but i dont remeber too so sorry about the missed credit man.

[​IMG]

2. Nov 25, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
  3. Nov 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    HAHA thanks for the link yeah that is pretty funny. I have actually seen his truck before on the highway and thats what motivated me to start building my rack. Its comming along and is far from perfect, i am learning alot, mostly about angles and importance of making straight cuts haha, i am getting there.

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    well finished up the basket part

[​IMG]

thats all i could get done i am leaving to go to clemson in 30 minutes so i will have to finish the rest of it in december after i get back from school.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    be careful welding galvanized, it will kill you... the zinc fumes are ultra poisonous and it accumulates in your body... your never supposed to weld galv. pipe. 1 because its poisounous and 2 because the zinc mixes with the metal and makes the welds weaker...

looks good though, just lookin out... be careful

6. Nov 26, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    Siebler

Siebler Duck Killing Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    99 5 lug LT
    TC LT Front, F67 on 12" shackle, LCE Underdrive Pulley, Flex-a-lite fan, DT headers, Super 44 muffler, 4:11's and Aussie Locker, 22 Gallon Fuel Cell, Beard seats, custom bumpers, sliders, bed cage
    Right on man, looks good. I think I am going to have to do this on my truck once the bedcage is in. Dont want to have to pull the decoy trailer every time I hunt.

7. Nov 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    galv. is poisonous but mostly makes you sick to your stomache, rather than kills. Drink milk to absorb it out. It doesn't stay in your body. It really does weaken the weld (not to mention make them ugly as hell) but you should grind all weld areas to base metal then spray cold galv. paint on all the corners good (after welding) while the metal is still warm. Almost as durable as hot dip

signed, a galvanize welder. (when I have to).

As a side note the ONLY way to complely rid galv. pipe of the zinc is to
    a) burn it with a torch, til cherry red then
    b) brush with wire brush vigorously, then
    c) grind it to clean metal

If a galv. pipe weld is to pass an x-ray. these steps almost always have to all be taken. i know you don't need 10K pounds brust strength in this app. but you will have clean metal and the welds will be as pretty as on normal carbon steel. However pretty you can make them to begin with. If not pretty, the grinder is your friend.

8. Nov 28, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    looks pretty good dude! before we got out for thanksgiving i swear i seen u around statesboro like 4 times. u back down here yet?

9. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Statesboro, GA
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    Yes i do a fast run through on the metal to burn of all the galv. then i go in and weld it, then knock off the slag and weld a second pass then grind it down to make it look pretty. it seems to be working well and i have a shop fan running blowing the flames outside the garage as i work.

GATACO i need a picture of your truck so i know what to look for around campus!! i am parked in the big C parking lot FIND ME!!! i am the black truck with the big red CB antenna.

To Top