1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck bed winch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Botzitaliano, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    Botzitaliano

Botzitaliano [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Nj
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd offroad 4.0L 4dr
    Hey all due to my recent back surgeries, Iam finally looking for ways to work smarter not harder. And as some of y'all know, being an avid outdoorsman can put some serious strain on my body at times. What I'm looking to do is mount a 2000lb electric winch in the front of the bed by the cab. Mainly gor pulling in my flat-bottom boat, atv and if need be big game animals. Now I already built a frame out of unistrut which is surprisingly strong. my question to y'all is, is there any way since my truck has an outlet in the bed, splice a outlet plug on the winch wire so I can plug it in and use it as needed? I would prefer to do it this way rather than tap off my battery. I look forward to hearing and tips or guidance that any of y'all can spare. Thanks
    -mike-

2. Jan 26, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What about a tap to the under hood fuse panel (essentially the same as the battery, just cleaner) and a switch in the cab. That way it wouldn't be 'live' full time and you can flip a switch in the cab to give it power, then use the controls in the bed to operate the winch. I'm sure you could do something with the bed outlet but it'd be easier to just connect to a 12V system (I'm not sure where the inverter is located that steps up the voltage for the outlet but you don't want to tap in after that point).

Products Discussed in

To Top