1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck bedz and truck tentz question from a noob

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rnbilly, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    rnbilly

rnbilly [OP] Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4 Quadcab
    Yakima bike and snow racks mounted to cargo cross bars
    Hello all,

I want to buy a truck tent for my 08 Quadcab SB. I want the Napier truck tents and the truck bedz mattress. My questions are:

1. Does the truck bedz mattress fit in the bed and over the tailgate in it's down position - meaning 79 - 80" of mattress?

2. Which tent model do I get to fit in my bed with the tailgate down and to accommodate the mattress?

If I do the tent and the mattress, I have to be able to have the tailgate down due to me being 6'5". It's a no go otherwise.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Why not a top? instead of a tent?

Ive seen alot of people have their tops and bed mattress' out when they were camping and what not.

For the Short Box you will probably have to let you Tailgate down to sleep.

Im 6' 4.5" and I still have to let the tailgate down in my Long bed

Welcome to TW!! :wave:

3. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
  4. Apr 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM
    rnbilly

rnbilly [OP] Member

Member:
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    Sport 4x4 Quadcab
    Yakima bike and snow racks mounted to cargo cross bars
    thanks for the replies. It looks then that the tent will fit. Does anyone have any experience with the truckbedz mattresses? If they are able to extend past the bed and lie on top of the tailgate in the down position, I'm in business.

5. Apr 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Yeah Ive seen some mattress' pretty large.

Get an Air mattress.

6. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    sapper987

sapper987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD SPORT DCLB Silver Streak
    3" Revtek with AAL 17' MotoMetal 955's 265/70 17 Nitto TG's Bed Mat
    My buddy has the truck tent for his Tacoma. He put a piece of plywood in the bed that fits over the wheel wells, works good. It makes the sleeping surface much wider and gives a little storage underneath. I think he just uses a futon mattress on it? I'll see if I can get him to send me a pic. He does have the LB though. Sure this doesn't help, just thought I'd throw it out there.

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    I have the napier truck tent and I also went with the Truck Bedz air mattress. DO NOT GET THE TRUCK BEDZ AIR MATTRESS!!!!!!

It sucks, their customer service also sucks. I'm STILL waiting for a repalcement. The thing was 'worn' and the guy (i think it is a one man show at his operation) couldnt find out why. He has had my mattress for over 6 months now. He will be sending me a brand new one once he gets back from his company in China, no joke, thats what he told me. I got fed up with it, and ordered a new one that looked better, its the Pitman Air Bedz orgininal truck bed air mattress or something. It is WAY amazing, however, I will also tell you this, this TOO had an issue, at this point i was fed up with air mattresses, but I sent the same email to that company as I did with the truck bedz company, and within 30 minutes, the president called me and appologized, explained it was a new product for the tacoma, and they fixed it, and he had just sent me a brand new one no questions asked along with free wheel well inserts that normally run like 40 bucks so you can use it as a regular spare bed air mattress around the house. He also sent a prepaid shipping label to send the other mattress back. Truck Bedz made me pay 40 bucks to send it back. Also, heres the real awesome part about the Air Bedz as opposed to the truck bedz, the air bedz has a built in pump which is awesome. It also has a topper that covers the wheel wells which gives you more space. They are almost the same price, you spend like a little under 20 dollars more fo the air bedz but it is SO much nicer. Check it out, heres the link. http://www.truckairbedz.com/

8. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Sorry about the rant, but please, PLEASE do not get the truck bedz air mattress, save yourself the trouble. You will be FAR more pleased with the Air Bedz Mattress and their customer service is second to none. The mattress is also better made. I promise it will be worth your while. Also, the president told me it helps to inflate the mattress on the floor and let it sit for about 3 days to stretch approprately which strengthens it before putting it in the bed (you only need to do this the first time you open it up and inflate it.) Trust me on this one. Oh and btw, the napier tent rocks. I wouldn't trade it for the world, and if it broke, I'd buy another one in a heart beat, same with the Air Bedz Mattress. it is leaps and bounds better than the truck bedz air mattress.

9. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    el_smurfo

el_smurfo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have a truck tent with a SB? I'd love to try it out, maybe with the plywood above the wheel wells, but at 6'2", I'm a bit worried, even with the gate down.

10. Jun 24, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I have the more expensive model truck bedz (forgot what it's called) for a 6' bed. I usually camp by myself, with the gate up, and sleep diagonal. I have had no problems yet after 2 yrs.
    Sorry to hear about their terrible cust svc. I won't buy another, since it was that bad.

11. Jun 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I've used my truck bedz for a few months now (4 or 5 times). No issues at all. It is a 1 man shop over there but when I called with questions prior to buying he was more than helpful to me. Answered all my questions and was sincerely honest. I can't believe he would hold onto the mattress for 6 months.

To the OP here is my tent it is the original Sportz from Napier and the Airbedz love them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jun 25, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    I have the same tent, just the newer model, I actually like your colors better though. Not a fan of the tan on mine. If the Truck Bedz mattress worked, i would have had no problem, its just the customer service stinks...but having that air mattress, and now having the air bedz one, it is SO much nicer. The material is the same, only blue, but it has a REALLY nice built air pump and it has a 'topper' that goes over the wheels which gives you full acess to your truck bed, i like it way more, but thats just IMO. Im glad to know that yours worked out well though. At *some* point I will be getting a new one sent to me, i'll either keep it to through in there when I want to keep my other one nicer, or sell it on ebay or something, i dunno yet.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top