1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Camping Photo Thread

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Maticuno, Jul 10, 2011.

1. May 31, 2016 at 7:26 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Red Canyon, near Bryce. This was the maiden voyage of my M101 with the CVT Mt Hood (which they recently renamed the Ranier standard.)

image.jpg

2. May 31, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    jagergirll

jagergirll Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 RC
    OME Suspension ARB Bumper Rock Sliders BFG KO2 A/T 245/75R16 Camper Shell
    I know this was an old post but they get into everything. My family owned a pack station up in the sierras and we had bears bite into ice chests that were metal. Clients would ask us why we shot the ice chests with 22's lol well if they took precautions as instructed our ice chests would look shot up!

3. May 31, 2016 at 9:09 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Yep. All the coolest expedition/overland and camping builds seem have refrigerators, chuck boxes, and stoves on slides built right into the offroad trailer or vehicle. Many of them are very creative, look freaking awesome, and cost a small fortune. But its really kind of foolish to use them in a whole lot of the USA. A refrig, cooler, stove, and groceries right under your rooftop tent? Maybe even a snack and some sweet smelling toiletries in the tent with you? Eventually thats all going to result in a very uncomfortable night. I'm looking for the first thinking man's modular overland bear country trailer build. A stove, sink, etc pullout can be relocated away from the hangout and sleeping area like a wheelbarrow. Same with a chuckbox module. How about a refrig, high capacity lithium cell, and solar panel module? A bear will still completely tear that stuff up but it won't be doing it next to or under the tent. :) One of these days I'll try and build one.

jagergirll[QUOTED] and AZMTtrvlr like this.
  4. Jun 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM
    SIZZLE

SIZZLE Pro-party

Member:
    Novato, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    A little a this, a little a that...
    On the topic off solo off roading, discretion is the better part of valor. Don't be afraid to turn around if the trail gets too hairy. Stuff I wouldn't think twice about when out with a buddy, I'd turnaround instead if I'm solo. Be smart. That's the best advice.

kubatcha, DVexile, smd3 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jun 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM
    POOLGUY

POOLGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JEFF
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT 6 SPEED
    Dobinsons suspension
    Same here, better to be safe than sorry!

6. Jun 1, 2016 at 7:53 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I would also add that when solo if the worst happens and you do get stuck be extremely careful and conservative about any sort of self recovery. As I said before when prepared getting stuck solo just means camping where you didn't plan to and waiting for help to arrive. Many serious injuries occur during recovery and in such cases you usually need other people around you to render aid or transport you. Particularly if you end up unconscious. Attempting self recovery with a hi-lift, a questionable anchor, or anything that could injure you in a way that would just be an injury with other people along can easily become fatal when solo.

But of course the best course when solo is to be plenty conservative *before* you get stuck.

7. Jun 1, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    jagergirll

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 RC
    Yes be conservative before you get stuck means gun it and don't let up. Got me through this ice hole and it was broken up for the way out ;) on a serious note be safe.

8. Jun 2, 2016 at 12:33 PM
    NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Albuquerque
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR
    You were lucky this time. hope there is emergency gear in the back. :smack:

9. Jun 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM
    jagergirll

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 RC
    Who me? Yep had everything I needed and planned recovery options in the event of getting stuck. Took the license plate off bent it back and put it back on after snapping the bumper back on. I was actually sad it was such an easy fix because I couldn't justify a new bumper :)

Jarob11 likes this.
  10. Jun 3, 2016 at 1:59 AM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have seen oil drain plugs sheered off by ice chunks smaller than that. Glad you made it out relatively unharmed.

11. Jun 3, 2016 at 4:19 AM
    FIRE74

FIRE74 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    St.Leonard, MD
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB
    In my younger days I went solo off roading on a back country road and got seriously stuck in the snow, all I had with me was a pair of skis, they didn't make a good shovel, so after about 4hrs decided to use flares to melt the snow around and under the truck (I was careful using them under the truck) after several flares and another hour I was able to free the truck and head out the way I came in. Looked like a UFO had landed where I was stuck! VERY valuable lesson learned that day!

NMroamer likes this.
  12. Jun 3, 2016 at 7:24 AM
    jagergirll

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    4x4 RC
    Luckily that stuff is covered up with a skid plate's. The bumper literally snaps back on and it didn't move going through it the second time. There was one bigger piece that pulled up on the bumper as the truck went into the ice. That day there was no other option to get to where I needed to go. I did cheat on the way back I got out and pulled most of the big chunks out before driving through. In my mind you gotta break it to replace it :)

13. Jun 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM
    Kick

Kick Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 base cab 4x4
    Jba uca's, bilstein's 6112 and 5125 Alcan 2" rear springs, wheeler's super bumpstops. Michelins defenders 265/75/16
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgPA Memorial Day weekend. Air mattress in the Tacoma was nice and comfy.

romafern, Scott J and Jarob11 like this.
  14. Jun 6, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Couple questions...

1. Im looking for an axe to carry in my truck. Any suggestion?

2. Water storage? What do you guys do? I have a 5 gallon collapsible bladder that ive been using, it works, but its bulky. I was looking for some kind of solid mounted tank with spigot I can attach a hose to.

Maybe like this -

[​IMG]

3. Showers? What do you guys do? Now that its hot out, some sort of shower is a necessity - or at least a way to scrub my balls and wash my hair after a long day of hiking/fishing. I was thinking some sort of solar shower, but I cant see that being 100% reliable on a cloudy day.

15. Jun 6, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    snowboard704

snowboard704 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' 4x4 Tacoma
    Check Build thread

Well the solar shower is 100% reliable even on a cloudy day... it just may be a bit cold:D:rofl:

16. Jun 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    1 fiskars axes/hachets are awesome....super sharp so you can do some field amputations if necessary
    2 i have a 5 gallon and 3 gallon jug depending on where I'm going and for how long. usually only use it for washing, not drinking
    3 if you have to have hot water and cant just suck it up and deal with cold there's always this option http://www.cabelas.com/product/zodi...WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=zodi

Jarob11 likes this.
  17. Jun 6, 2016 at 7:58 PM
    velillen

velillen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x4

1) I picked up ones from lowes that were on sale. I carry a hatchet and a full size axe. The axe has worked well and has chopped a few trees off trails so far. A folding saw is also nice to have for the smaller stuff.

2) I use two 5 gallon scepter water cans. Somewhat bulky but not that bad IMO. There are also waterbricks which are a nice size too. Both you can get valves for.

3) Ive used a solar shower. If its warm outside it will be close to ambient temperature so even the cloudy days arent to bad. Plus if it is cloudy/cooler just do more of a towel wipe down over a shower. The one i have holds three gallons of water and works well as both a shower and just washing hands/dishes.

I do want to do something like the pvc water tanks but you have to be careful with them if you want them drinking water safe.

18. Jun 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I learned a good trick for taking warm showers on cold days when I worked for an elk hunting outfitter years ago. You can put a little water in the solar shower then fill the rest of the way with boiling water. When it's really cold out (below zero) you're putting in 3/4 or more hot water. I lived in the back country for 2 months with those guys. Learned some neat tricks.

19. Jun 6, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Thanks for the info. I dont need hot water, just warm enough to be bearable for a quick rinse before turning in for the night. I pulled the trigger on a solar shower, well see how that works.

20. Jun 6, 2016 at 8:46 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    Been wanting a solar shower myself.. Hmmm

Rextinkleton93 likes this.