1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck caps?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nic, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Aug 20, 2008 at 8:23 AM
    Slow

Slow Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 TRD
    I have the Snug Top, XTR with the built-n rack=====awsome. And I used to hate shells. :)

2. Aug 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM
    mvega1969

mvega1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laredo
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tacoma DC LB 4X4 TRD Off Road.

Any pictures of your setup?

Regards.

3. Mar 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Its been over 6 months since this thread went to sleep..............need some pics and info. My local dealer carries Ranch/Century................could use some feedback/pics on those two. Thanks.

4. Mar 7, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Nic

Nic [OP] Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    I ended up with the ARE Cap.
    Here are a few pics of it lettered up and one before lettering.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Jun 4, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    I figured I'd revise an older thread to ask my questions instead of starting a whole new thread.

Last weekend we were camping, and I had the tonneau cover off and the mountain bikes locked on fork mounts in the bed. At some point in the middle of the night someone decided to screw with the bikes. Slashed one of the tires and let all of the air out of the forks and rear shocks. All in all it was a minor nuisance, as I carry my shock pump on trips, and had brought a spare tire and several tubes, but it got me to thinking that when the wife's bike and mine are on the truck we are talking about $6000 worth of mountain bikes that are out in the open, so I decided to get a cap.

Here are my questions, aesthetically I would prefer cab high, but I need to know what the floor to ceiling measurement is for a cab high cap, as well as for a mid rise cap.

I know my bikes will fit in a cab high cap if I pull the seat post, but I'd prefer to not have to do that if I could avoid it.

I would also like to know what a reasonable price would be. I stoped by my local leer dealer today and just got a starting price, without beating him up or trying to negotiate at all since I was not ready to pull the trigger anyway. Here is what he told me:

Leer 100XL $1515
    Headliner $150
    Tilt-in Sliding front window $129
    Thule roof rack (tracks only) $169

Totaling out to $1963. Can you guys tell me if that is good, bad, or what it should cost?

Thanks in advance guys for the measurements and price info.

Adam

6. Jun 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey Maverick glad you opened this baby up. Workin' on prices and inquiring on different ones at this moment.

So I'm gonna jump in here with a few questions and some info on the one's I've been quoted.

I want to see more pics of tops with the windoors. They quoted me a Century Ultra with fold down slider and 2 windoors for $1325 plus tax.

Also was quoted a Ranch with fold down slider and windoors for just over $1200. I don't think I would like it though because it has the embossed brake light.(sticks up a little over the top).

I would like to have the windoors, does anyone have opinions on the windoors?

7. Jun 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    VIPER131

VIPER131 Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    4wd Sport Package
    Leer M180 Canopy w/ Browning Kit, Front & Rear Wet Okele Seat Covers, ScanGuage w/ Blendmount, Warn Trans4mer winch/brushguard, Westin Sliders, Toyota Bed Mat
    I don't have the internal height measurements for my canopy -- but I bought the Leer 180 canopy with the Browning Sportsmen package. The Browning Sportsmen package is now called the Wilderness Package on the Leer Website.

The 180 is about 4" higher than the 100 that you are looking at. I didn't want the full height of the taller canopy or the blindspot that exists with the 122.

I payed $1999 for the 180 with tilt in front window and the Browning Package (Thule Roof Rack, Roof mounted guncase, Extra inside light, and clothes hanger).

I am very pleased with my canopy -- the 180 gives a bit more height than the 100 which was important to me when I go camping. Look at my truck picture on the profile.

Not much else info -- just wanted to give you a basic price guideline. Good luck with your purchase. You will feel a lot better with the canopy in place.

8. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I just bought a Leer 100XQ back in October of 08 for my Speedway Blue Sport DC with a short bed. The 100XQ comes standard with a headliner and cargo light. The only option I added was the removable rear window (not a slider).

I paid $1,560 total, and that price included a $75 discount coupon that I got from the Leer website.

They are almost charging you double for the window option IMO. I paid $60 for the window I got, and if I wanted the slider, it was only $10 more.

If you already have not done this, go to the Leer website and search for other local dealers and get some comparision prices. That's what I did and it saved me a bundle. I contacted every dealer that was within 1 hour of my home, and I gave my business to the one that gave me the best price.

9. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    That fits the Tacomas lines so well. Looks Great

10. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Yep, it's a Leer 100XQ. That's the same model that I have. It fits like a glove.

11. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I mean I seriously looks like it was made specifically for the Tacomas..Like it came out of the factory like that

12. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    It is made specifically for the 2005+ Tacomas. It will NOT fit any other truck.

One other thing that Leer does that NO other manufacturer offers, is they get your VIN number when the order is placed. They use the VIN number to research where your vehicle was manufactured, and match the paint from the factory. My Speedway Blue cap is an absolute perfect color match. It looks like it was painted right along with the rest of the truck at the factory.

13. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    They do extensive work to make it JUUST right

Kudos to Leer

14. Jun 5, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    They sure do. It was expensive, but I couldn't be happier with what I bought.

15. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:13 AM
    SHunter080703

SHunter080703 Well-Known Member

Member:
  16. Jun 5, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    NikonRon

NikonRon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Owensboro,Ky
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Access 4x4 TRD O/R Pyrite Mica
    Icons,Dakars, Stubb's Sliders,Four Wheel camper Eagle
    another 100XQ

DSCN3548.jpg

17. Jun 5, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    Rocketball

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    Here's mine:

_MG_4040_6cb6a29a798574bec7c2e4316bebb3aa1dcb0f65.jpg

18. Sep 21, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    To the guys with LEER toppers:

What does it take to install one of these on a truck that hasn't seen one before? Does it just attach to the bed rails? I'm picking one up this evening and don't want a surprise.

19. Sep 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    RedskinRedTaco

RedskinRedTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD 4x4 Offroad Crewcab
    Trifecta folding Touneau Cover, 275/70/16 LTX M/S, Running Boards, Dynamat, tint, Alpine W404 Video system w/ backup cam, Sirius Sat, Polk Audio Component Speakers frt and back, Alpine 4x50 amp. Billy's 5100's set @ 1 3/4, 1" rear blocks, Rear TSB, trimmed frt mud flaps 4", TRD Exhuast, K&N filter. Electric Brake.
    I've got the 100XR. I'm very happy with it. it did drop the back of my truck a couple of inches. Nothing some 5100's and 2" block couldn't fix.

IMG00009-20090919-1452.jpg

20. Sep 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    JakesTruck005-1_686ee4643c6ed4cd78c8d88969f3653f6d9c7c3b.jpg
    JakesTruck044_33c66afa7e0f88d1fa548ea921c9d4f311be072e.jpg
    i say go snugtop

toyota went to snugtop and told them if your gonna put caps on our trucks you have to build them the way we want with the bodylines we want and use the paint we use....

so basically the snugtop caps are from toyotas exact specifications :)

Products Discussed in

To Top