1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck Feels "Grabby" While Cornering, TRD sport, just got it used.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Benny, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Aug 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    Benny

Benny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB more mods by the month
    I finally found what I wanted, an 08 TRD sport with a long bed, with 46,000 on it. One owner, clean and tight. I am stoked. What's the deal with cornering? It almost feels like it's in 4 WD, like sticky in the back end or something. Is this the LSD system doing something at all times? Just a result of the long wheelbase? I feel like maybe it's the tires, but there is a feeling, and a sound that goes along with cornering. It's driving nice, and I want to think that everything is ok. There is no way it's in 4WD.

All in all, love it. Only have out 200 miles behind the wheel, but way nicer than the Tundra it is replacing- and it better be considering the price. Anyway, thoughts on the rear end thing?

2. Aug 24, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Could be something in the rear end. Also, what tires/rims are you running? I have a 2010 LB DC Sport and it doesn't feel that way at all.

3. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    what type of tires are you running? if they are more aggressive than stock like MTs...then that might be what your feeling...

mines on km2 are way more aggressive than those BFG Rugged Terrains that came on the truck...especially at low speeds I can feel the nubs grabbing the pavement...:D

already order MT Baja Claws...I love those tires and I know those things are way more aggressive than the KM2s...

4. Aug 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    It might be a LSD additive issue, i know when i changed the rear diff fluid in my 08 Sport it would grab when making hard turns... i used mobil 1 and half a tube of additive, switched over to Royal Purple and and entire tube of additive and havent had that problem again

Alot of people here recommend using non synthetic gear oil for the rear and additive as the non syn is thicker

GL with the Issue
    Stephen

5. Aug 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What do you mean by 'corning'???

Are you pretending the truck is a sports car and trying to go too fast around corners?

It's a truck.....

6. Aug 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    Did they service the rear end before you bought it?

7. Aug 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    That would be my guess.

Also if the tires on the rear have significant tread wear differences (one more worn than the other) it could be tricking the LSD to kick in when it shouldn't.

8. Aug 24, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Benny

Benny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC LB more mods by the month
    No. Didn't get it from Toyota dealer. The LSD light doesn't come on. The tires are not aggressive. I assume if the LSD comes on I will hear or feel a click? Not hearing anything, just feels like there is a little resistance back there. It has stock tires and wheels on it, the tires are in surprisingly good shape considering the miles. They are not worn unevenly. The truck had always been serviced by the dealer that the last owner bought it from. I don't know what to make of it. Probably going to take it to my guy for a tune up soon. It's getting what appears to be very good milage, like over 18.

What is up with the cup holders? Do they think that everyone only drinks small Red Bull cans or what? I am having some buyer's remorse over this it right now, hopefully that will pass. It's not as sturdy as the Tundra and seems to have a lot of superfluous technology built into it, and then a lot of crappy plastic stuff like the factory running boards.

9. Aug 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    Lsd light? I didnt/don't know that there is one but I won't make any sounds if it engages, it will just make the rear feel grabby

10. Aug 24, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Probably just the different fell of a long bed

11. Aug 24, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I think the LSD light is only for the AUTO LSD on 09+, not the actual real clutch type LSD you have.

As for buyer's remorse... give it a few days. The running boards are cheap and if you don't like them, rip them off, sell them, and put some real weld on sliders that actually protect the truck and double as a step.

As for the superflourus tech? not sure what you mean there... most of the stuff is legit.

To Top